Youth Hostels

Toonraider

Guest Patrokles

Get some of you.

Hostels are fine. I've stayed in hostels, had friends stay in hostels, known other random people who have stayed in hostels. Many of them provide private rooms, 2-bed rooms, double rooms, 4-bed rooms, etc. alongside the more traditional dorm-style accomodation. There are usually numerous bathrooms around the place and you're not limited to which you use. I've never been stuck waiting around to shower or whatever. There are big hostels that are essentially run like hotels, only cheaper, there are smaller hostels where you'll only get 8 people staying, etc, etc. I have never had any issues with noise, security, or cleanliness in any of the hostels I've been in. You'll find the most common recreational activity involves marijuana, which doesn't really encourage hyperactivity and noise and usually goes on in some lounge room somewhere well away from everywhere else.

Hostels are fine. Obviously you need to use a bit of common sense and read what other people have written about the specific one, but as long as you're sensible, they're fiiiine.

Thanks ...i think we may give it a go. Its a beautiful manor house with pleasant grounds in a really nice area....the equivalent type of hotel prices would probably be in the region of £150-£180 per night to stay in such a building....way nicer than a pokey B&B

I hadn't looked at the hostel itself before I wrote my reply, and having looked at their website, I honestly honestly can't see any reason whatsoever for not staying there. Especially considering that they have numerous bed options that should cater exactly for the number of you going, so it's not like you'd be sharing with randoms or whatnot. Plus they do various things for groups of schoolchildren, so you'd expect the place to be pretty nicely looked after.

Edited by Patrokles

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Stayed in one in Barcelona for a week. £12 a night just off the Ramblas, cheap train tickets from where I was living in Spain. One of the cheapest holidays I've had and there was nothing wrong at all with the room or showers.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

... especially hostels in the cotswold hills.

Hey, you could visit me.

Thanks! :blink:

We're not broke mind :D just fancied something different, We stayed in a gorgeous cottage in Chipping Campden last week, the owner ran the pub next door too....the next night we stayed in Evesham because we couldnt find anywhere in Stratford, couldnt beleive how busy it was there.

I go there quite often. But my mate had never been, so i showed her Broadway, The Slaughters, Stow, Moreton In Marsh and Boughton on the water.

Whereabouts are you?

Guest Patrokles

Hey, you could visit me.

We're not broke mind :D just fancied something different, We stayed in a gorgeous cottage in Chipping Campden last week, the owner ran the pub next door too....the next night we stayed in Evesham because we couldnt find anywhere in Stratford, couldnt beleive how busy it was there.

I go there quite often. But my mate had never been, so i showed her Broadway, The Slaughters, Stow, Moreton In Marsh and Boughton on the water.

Whereabouts are you?

Between Gloucester and Cheltenham. They're both places worth visiting, too. Gloucester has a very nice cathedral, Cheltenham is just a very nice regency town. It would depend on what time of the year you were over; Cheltenham in the summer is really lovely.

Get some of you.

Hostels are fine. I've stayed in hostels, had friends stay in hostels, known other random people who have stayed in hostels. Many of them provide private rooms, 2-bed rooms, double rooms, 4-bed rooms, etc. alongside the more traditional dorm-style accomodation. There are usually numerous bathrooms around the place and you're not limited to which you use. I've never been stuck waiting around to shower or whatever. There are big hostels that are essentially run like hotels, only cheaper, there are smaller hostels where you'll only get 8 people staying, etc, etc. I have never had any issues with noise, security, or cleanliness in any of the hostels I've been in. You'll find the most common recreational activity involves marijuana, which doesn't really encourage hyperactivity and noise and usually goes on in some lounge room somewhere well away from everywhere else.

Hostels are fine. Obviously you need to use a bit of common sense and read what other people have written about the specific one, but as long as you're sensible, they're fiiiine.

Thanks ...i think we may give it a go. Its a beautiful manor house with pleasant grounds in a really nice area....the equivalent type of hotel prices would probably be in the region of £150-£180 per night to stay in such a building....way nicer than a pokey B&B

I hadn't looked at the hostel itself before I wrote my reply, and having looked at their website, I honestly honestly can't see any reason whatsoever for not staying there. Especially considering that they have numerous bed options that should cater exactly for the number of you going, so it's not like you'd be sharing with randoms or whatnot. Plus they do various things for groups of schoolchildren, so you'd expect the place to be pretty nicely looked after.

Yeah, it looks a lovely place. I think we'll book it. Thanks for your help, feel much more relieved now!

Guest Patrokles

Get some of you.

Yeah, it looks a lovely place. I think we'll book it. Thanks for your help, feel much more relieved now!

Glad to be more helpful than that FUCKING Gemmill bastard. :blink:

Camping is horrible like, fuck that shit tbh.

Agreed. People who go camping by definition aren't too bothered about hygiene. So even if there are proper facilities at the campsite they tend to be a fucking disgrace because they're being used by Harry Ramps all the time.

I like to think I'm fairly clean, but you are obsessed by hygiene it has to be said. Means you can't go to Glastonbury and the like, for instance. Mind, I haven't been in a tent for years and suspect it would be too uncomfortable now.

I'm not obsessed by hygiene, but I've no interest in camping - being barely clean for the duration and having to use what is basically a public toilet every time I need to go to the bog is not my idea of fun.

You should try it Gemmill (camping, not being a tramp). I didn't think it would be for me but I first tried it about four or five years back and I love in now. In fact I might go some where in the Yorkshire dales this weekend.

Honestly mate, I would hate it. I went camping with the school once and it pissed down all week. I spent the week wearing cold wet trainers, the bogs overflowed so there was a steaming open sewer backing up into the area where the tents were. Bollocks to that.

We've all had bad experiences camping and yeah, yours sounded awful :razz: But when we went to North Wales in the summer we stayed on this campsite in the valleys...it was immaculate and quiet, the scenery was stunning!! The showers and loos brand new and very posh! No smelly sewerage honestly! And though im not so keen on staying in tents anymore ( cos i feel claustraphobic) :D i loved being out in the open, watching the clouds over the mountains tops in the early mornings as i walked down to get my shower. Plus theres nothing like a BBQ or even a camp fire smell wafting over, its so relaxing. Basically there are camp sites and there are campsites, some are over crowded and full of screaming kids, but if you look around there are some really good sites that even you wouldnt turn your nose up at :blink:

Guest Patrokles

If you really want to help her, show her how to use the flushing mechanism on a toilet. :D

Maybe it casts a shadow on the wall behind when it's getting late and she keeps trying to flush by pushing the shadow. :blink:

Get some of you.

Glad to be more helpful than that FUCKING Gemmill bastard. :D

Gemmill and Helpful do not go together in the same sentence :blink:

Gemmill and chocolate maybe.....or Gemmill and pedantic, or even plain old Gemmill and irritating!!!

Get some of you.

Glad to be more helpful than that FUCKING Gemmill bastard. :razz:

Gemmill and Helpful do not go together in the same sentence :D

Gemmill and chocolate maybe.....or Gemmill and pedantic, or even plain old Gemmill and irritating!!!

That sounds quite grotesque actually. :blink:

Hey, you could visit me.

We're not broke mind :razz: just fancied something different, We stayed in a gorgeous cottage in Chipping Campden last week, the owner ran the pub next door too....the next night we stayed in Evesham because we couldnt find anywhere in Stratford, couldnt beleive how busy it was there.

Whereabouts are you?

Between Gloucester and Cheltenham. They're both places worth visiting, too. Gloucester has a very nice cathedral, Cheltenham is just a very nice regency town. It would depend on what time of the year you were over; Cheltenham in the summer is really lovely.

We drove back through Cheltenham from Boughton on the water to get back on to the M5...really pretty drive, think it was the A40 or 49...cant remember now, the Foss way. I like Cheltenham, been there once before.....shopping of course :D

Guest Patrokles

Hey, you could visit me.

Whereabouts are you?

We drove back through Cheltenham from Boughton on the water to get back on to the M5...really pretty drive, think it was the A40 or 49...cant remember now, the Foss way. I like Cheltenham, been there once before.....shopping of course :D

Yeah, it's a great shopping town. Lots of very nice cafes, &c to sit outside in summer. One of my favourite restaurants, too, an Italian place. It has some very very nice other restaurants I've never been to, too. can't afford them. :razz:

In my experience the only danger of staying in a hostel is that the place itself might be exceedingly dull, but then that's probably my own fault for believing that places like Luxembourg would make decent weekend destinations...

In my experience the only danger of staying in a hostel is that the place itself might be exceedingly dull, but then that's probably my own fault for believing that places like Luxembourg would make decent weekend destinations...

:blink:

Tbh, we just want a place to sleep, we are doing a Ghost walk on the friday evening, wont be in untill late and will be leaving first thing in the morning...it can be as dull as its pleases...the 4 of us girls wont notice! :D:razz:

Tbh, we just want a place to sleep, we are doing a Ghost walk on the friday evening, wont be in untill late and will be leaving first thing in the morning...it can be as dull as its pleases...the 4 of us girls wont notice! :D:razz:

A ghost walk?

FFS.

Should be spot on in that case. You can probably get a room for four anyway.

A ghost walk?

FFS.

She'll be seeing camels in the shadows and all sorts. AARGH! A headless camelman!

Tbh, we just want a place to sleep, we are doing a Ghost walk on the friday evening, wont be in untill late and will be leaving first thing in the morning...it can be as dull as its pleases...the 4 of us girls wont notice! :D:rolleyes:

yeah that will be a laugh methinks :D

Renton my hubby said that too :rolleyes:

We missed the Ghost walk last weekend so wanted to go back to do it. We read about it in a shop called the ginger jar in Stratford that sells magic spells and witchy things ( im not joking)!

Weird place but we loved it....people were paying £30 for a spell in a box, which comprised of a candle, some herbs and a chant, they sold spells for anything....new job, luck, mending a broken heart etc etc :razz:

Anyway, the ghost walk sounds interesting, basically a tour around Stratford at night, taking in shakespeare's birthplace and other notable houses and 'haunted' places!! Finishing up at the oldest pub in the town, which is a really beautiful building ( i do have a thing about buildings) :blush:

Edited by Toonraider

YHA and Bunkbarns are great.

I stay in them regular when biking in the Dales, Moors, Peaks etc. If you get a good crowd in there you can have a good laugh getting drunk and having good banter.

Miles better than B&B IMO, you dont have certain times to be in etc etc. You can have some VERY good food in them and its a good laugh. As are Bothies :blink:

Tbh, we just want a place to sleep, we are doing a Ghost walk on the friday evening, wont be in untill late and will be leaving first thing in the morning...it can be as dull as its pleases...the 4 of us girls wont notice! :D:rolleyes:

yeah that will be a laugh methinks :D

Renton my hubby said that too :rolleyes:

We missed the Ghost walk last weekend so wanted to go back to do it. We read about it in a shop called the ginger jar in Stratford that sells magic spells and witchy things ( im not joking)!

Weird place but we loved it....people were paying £30 for a spell in a box, which comprised of a candle, some herbs and a chant, they sold spells for anything....new job, luck, mending a broken heart etc etc :razz:

Anyway, the ghost walk sounds interesting, basically a tour around Stratford at night, taking in shakespeare's birthplace and other notable houses and 'haunted' places!! Finishing up at the oldest pub in the town, which is a really beautiful building ( i do have a thing about buildings) :blush:

Stratford's a bit shit anyway. No point of going there unless you want to see a play.

Guest Patrokles

I've seen the RSC a couple of times at Stratford like. 6/10 tbh.

Yeah, last play I saw in Stratford was just okay. Well, mainly because I was 16 and trying to cop a feel off the attractive classmate who I was sat by. Actually, that went okay. Those were the days!

I've seen the RSC a couple of times at Stratford like. 6/10 tbh.

Yeah, last play I saw in Stratford was just okay. Well, mainly because I was 16 and trying to cop a feel off the attractive classmate who I was sat by. Actually, that went okay. Those were the days!

The thee-ay-tar doesn't really do it for me if I'm being honest. Both were university trips and I saw the RSC once at the Theatre Royal in 6th form. Not my idea of fun.