Martin O'Neill.

menace13

Villa's start under O'Neill this season any different to Man City under Pearce last year?

It's a case of wait and see, I guess. But whatyou can't deny that at least at the start he seems to be overachieving with his club - again. Being unbeaten in the league so far and getting points at Arsenal and Chelsea is a terrific job thinking about the mess they had been in before.

Still love the people who said he was no better than Souness.

LeazesMag of all people can't see a difference.

He is a good manager for the type of situation he found at Villa and he is a fantastic allround motivator and organiser. But is he top notch? No.

He is a good manager for the type of situation he found at Villa and he is a fantastic allround motivator and organiser. But is he top notch? No.

It's unknown how good he is, he hasn't had the chance at a top club with money, until now perhaps (if Lerner invests). What I do know is that he has never been sacked and has succeeded everywhere he has been, so he may be top notch. Compare and contrast this with Souness and Roeder - that is the difference.

It's unknown how good he is, he hasn't had the chance at a top club with money, until now perhaps (if Lerner invests). What I do know is that he has never been sacked and has succeeded everywhere he has been, so he may be top notch. Compare and contrast this with Souness and Roeder - that is the difference.

:angry:

If they're still there at the end of the season then fair play....as yet it's no more than many teams experience when a new manager comes in.

Agreed, although I do rate O'Neill highly, but that kind of new-manager-motivation only lasts for so long.

Is it any better than our run in Roeder's first half dozen games, or even Souness' for that matter? As people are saying, let's see where they are November/December time.

For me the difference is that he gets fantastic results against top teams and is not just winning games against inferior teams.

Good point.

For me to compare him to Roeder and GS is a waste of time and imo lazy. I compare him to the best ie Hiddink, Mourinho and some of the best Italians and the like, against them he is nothing. Not to say that in his own right he isn't good mind and I have no doubt he would do a better job than Roeder, but these aren't the yardsticks I use for my ideal Toon manager and never will be.

Obviously as has been said you need a full season to really see what he's done. But already the signs are there, he's taken what was an absolute shower lasts eason and with hardly a change in personel has them extremely well organised and tough to beat, including away at the very best teams in the prem, they look motivated and confident and he has likely got a shitload of money to spend come January.

I think he will show he's a top notch maanger, but for now we have to wait and see.

How anyone could possibly think Souness should even be mentioned in the same breah as O'Neil however is a mystery.

Obviously as has been said you need a full season to really see what he's done. But already the signs are there, he's taken what was an absolute shower lasts eason and with hardly a change in personel has them extremely well organised and tough to beat, including away at the very best teams in the prem, they look motivated and confident and he has likely got a shitload of money to spend come January.

I think he will show he's a top notch maanger, but for now we have to wait and see.

How anyone could possibly think Souness should even be mentioned in the same breah as O'Neil however is a mystery.

Agreed. I always laugh when I see that. O'Neil might be limited, but he is as shrewd at working with what he's got as the day is long. :angry:

Agreed. I always laugh when I see that. O'Neil might be limited, but he is as shrewd at working with what he's got as the day is long. :angry:

I think the comparison is to illustrate precisely that....even SHITE fuckwit managers can have a good early run.

I do rate O'Neill (although I wasn't keen on him coming here as I didn't think it would work...2 mavericks and only one saloon :lol: ) but as I said, end of the season is what counts not the first month or so.