Roeder targets striker in January

Craig

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has said he will have to buy another striker in the January transfer window.

Shola Ameobi is facing a hip operation in the New Year, while Michael Owen is unlikely to play this season after an operation on his cruciate ligament.

"With Shola we go from game to and keep our fingers crossed," Roeder told the Sunday Mirror.

"By the time of the transfer window we have to be in a position to bring in a striker with power and presence."

Roeder, who brought in forward Obafemi Martins for £10m in the summer, is also likely to lose Giuseppe Rossi, with the loan deal for the Manchester United player set to expire in January.

Roeder added: "We are working very hard all around Europe to try to find the kind of player to replace Shola, who by then will be screaming for the operation.

"We want a striker and we are looking for a defender too. We are basically operating with five defenders."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/5375762.stm

why not use the 2 strikers we have that never get a game, rossi and luque

now that's crazy talk

anyway yawm. We should read Roder will look around at other strikers... then watch on even more as they sign for other clubs.

more of the same noises noises. Shut up and act

Im starting to get worried about MARTINS!!

I think he played alright today, but if he doesnt score two hattricks in the next two games, you know Roeder will probably put him in the reserves and only play him 5 minutes every 5 matches. And the fans will get on Martins' back calling him a lazy mercenary.

why not use the 2 strikers we have that never get a game, rossi and luque, instead of playing an injured ameobi and a crap past it midfielder, sibierski, upfront :good:

Because Luque is shit, and Rossi is going back in January.

By the way, I'm not sure what to make of Rossi - he looks very slight and without the pace to make up for it. A bit like Chopra. Obviously I haven't seen nearly enough of him to really know, but that's my first impression.

why not use the 2 strikers we have that never get a game, rossi and luque, instead of playing an injured ameobi and a crap past it midfielder, sibierski, upfront :good:

Because Luque is shit, and Rossi is going back in January.

By the way, I'm not sure what to make of Rossi - he looks very slight and without the pace to make up for it. A bit like Chopra. Obviously I haven't seen nearly enough of him to really know, but that's my first impression.

Looks alot better than Rocky.

So nobody still thinks we need a defender more, apart from wykikitoon?

Hate to say I told you so, but its pretty obvious now which area needs more strenghtening.

You'd look a bit of a twat if you did say I told you so seen as we all knew it anyway. You cock.

Hate to say I told you so, but its pretty obvious now which area needs more strenghtening.

You'd look a bit of a twat if you did say I told you so seen as we all knew it anyway. You cock.

:good::D

The fact is most people thought I was nuts for suggesting that in a thread I started before the season began.

The fact is most people thought I was nuts for suggesting that in a thread I started before the season began.

The fact is they didn't.

Our top priority was a striker as we physically didn't have any.

Next it was defenders as we had some, but they weren't good enough.

Therefore, when people said a striker was top priority, it didn't mean they thought we didn't need defenders.

Anyone with half a brain would have told you we needed defenders. As you've so eloquently proven.

The fact is they didn't.

Our top priority was a striker as we physically didn't have any.

Next it was defenders as we had some, but they weren't good enough.

Therefore, when people said a striker was top priority, it didn't mean they thought we didn't need defenders.

Anyone with half a brain would have told you we needed defenders. As you've so eloquently proven.

Where have I said nobody though we didnt need defenders? Ive been saying all along that the opinion was we needed strikers more.

We did need strikers, but not more badly than a decent CB. I'd rather be stuck with Ameobi, Luque and Rossi than with Titus, Carr and Ramage.

We signed Rossi in the summer! You can't bring him into the argument.

We had Ameobi and Luque. And that was it- and knowing Ameobi was eventually going to need a hip op. 2 players for 2 positions.

At the back we had Babayaro, Bramble, Taylor, Moore, Ramage and Carr. 6 players for 4 positions.

We had Ameobi and Luque. And that was it- and knowing Ameobi was eventually going to need a hip op. 2 players for 2 positions.

At the back we had Babayaro, Bramble, Taylor, Moore, Ramage and Carr. 6 players for 4 positions.

We were concentrating on signing the likes of Rossi and Sibierski for nothing, while we also could have brought in Campbell, Woodgate and Bridge for nothing as well. Why that didnt cross Roeder's mind is beyond me, and thats what Im saying he should have done.

We were concentrating on signing the likes of Rossi and Sibierski for nothing, while we also could have brought in Campbell, Woodgate and Bridge for nothing as well. Why that didnt cross Roeder's mind is beyond me, and thats what Im saying he should have done.

I doubt that anyone disagrees with that and none of us know the answer as to why either.

Guest Patrokles

I really don't think that we were concentrating on signing Rossi and Sibierski, to be honest with you. The Bridge situation made it very difficult to sign him because it was wholly dependent on the Cole situation. Woodgate is someone not many fans wanted to risk. Campbell is the only big miss. I don't think anyone knows what went on behind the scenes in this transfer window, but Roeder's not stupid and anything the likes of you and I can see, he can see too. I daresay there are aspects of this we simply don't know about.

Edited by Patrokles

A month into the season we decide we need a striker and a defender, despite the fact there were about 50,000+ who spent the summer shouting this at the tele everytime Roeder or Fat Fred was on. Piss poor this like, they knew Shola was crocked and needed an op in the summer, nowts changed. Lad at the match yesterday said we'd probably end up getting Chopra back in January, for £8m. Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.

Re: the transfer window, anyone read the latest Mag? Bloke from the Daily Mirror is interviewed and basically confirms the total cock up we made of the whole thing. Apparently we pissed off Boro big style by bidding, on the last day, for Huth even though there was a gentleman's agrrement he was going to Boro that NUFC were well aware of. We then cheekily bid for Viduka a couple of hours later where Boro basically asked us if we were taking the piss before telling us to fuck off. :good:

You have to laugh like.