What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

8 hours ago, Alex said:

I don’t really think they were much cop post- Jim Martin and he was the most old skool ‘metal’ of the lot of them. His Sabbath-like riffs were what made them ‘metal’ imo. 

I hadn't really thought about it. Mrs B confessed a couple of years ago on a drive to down to Wales that she wasn't familiar with much FNM besides the singles. I think I glossed over the Mosley era and just played We Care a Lot, then most of The Real Thing and Agnle Dust. By the time we got to King for a Day I think I probably only played 2 or 3 songs and went "fuck it thats enough of that". Some of Patton's other projects interested me a bit more, (thinking mostly of the fantastic record that is Mit Gas).

• Like 1

Just now, Blastronaut said:

I hadn't really thought about it. Mrs B confessed a couple of years ago on a drive to down to Wales that she wasn't familiar with much FNM besides the singles. I think I glossed over the Mosley era and just played We Care a Lot, then most of The Real Thing and Agnle Dust. By the time we got to King for a Day I think I probably only played 2 or 3 songs and went "fuck it thats enough of that". Some of Patton's other projects interested me a bit more, (thinking mostly of the fantastic record that is Mit Gas).

I remember trying to get into Mr Bungle (speaking of his side projects). 

• Haha 2

On 01/12/2023 at 10:38, sammynb said:

That's not metal young Alex!

I do enjoy Faith No More but they are to blame for the shite that is Limp Biscuit, etc.

At least System of a Down were interesting.

I still reluctantly maintain that the blame for that whole Nu-Metal scene lies firmly at Max Cavalera's feet. Chaos AD and Roots sowed the seeds that a lot of that shite sprouted from. Soulfly watered the seeds and gave them the light to grow.

I'll agree Patton is much closer to Max on the blame scale than, say Ice-T bit it's still all Max's fault for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2024 at 08:14, Monkeys Fist said:

These are meant to be the next big thing. 

@Ayatollah Hermione, is it just me, or do we think the singer is a fan of Rosalie Cunningham? 

Sorry, just remembered to reply to this. Whenever I see a band like this, I wonder which member has a high-ranking music executive parent but they’re not bad tbf. And aye, I can hear the similarities 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Sorry, just remembered to reply to this. Whenever I see a band like this, I wonder which member has a high-ranking music executive parent but they’re not bad tbf. And aye, I can hear the similarities 

:lol:
Aye, I asked my daughter about them and she was “ Meh!”  

Speaking of the divine Ms. Cunningham, I’ve been getting right in to her 2nd album , Two Piece Puzzle - it’s very, very Zappa to my ear. 
The tempo changes, some of her guitar breaks and solos, and the drumming ( which is fucking superb). 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Willi Carlisle's Critterland is a cracker

Quite decent that. 

I’m pretending it’s “Japanese Ambient” because I can’t be listening to Country …

d5etax7vjAFcXTRpFf.webp

… or Western! 

• Haha 2

@Dr Gloom I’ve been listening to this fella who is worth a follow on soundcloud: https://on.soundcloud.com/xsM22UQeDA74ZSAS7

His series of Jungle mixes based on releases from 1994 are particularly good. As he puts it:

Oi oi.

I've thought about this many times, and have concluded that my favourite era of jungle music, hands-down, is the spring/summer period of 1994. 

To me it wasn't quite so apparent at the time - I wasn't venturing out to proper jungle nights until later that year, and my view was polarised by a monogamous record-buying relationship with artists and labels that I semi-religiously followed throughout 1993 - the likes of Dee Jay, Skanna, Moving Shadow, Basement and Reinforced. However, with the wisdom of hindsight, and particularly after listening to loads of summer sets from the likes of Brockie, Ron and Jack Frost, the melting pot of sounds is obvious and utterly wonderful. Ragga jungle was suddenly everywhere and yet there were still elements of hardcore/rave - uplifting pads, chipmunk diva vocals - throughout the music, with DJ sets effortlessly transitioning from Nookie to M-Beat, Foul Play to Brainkillers, Tek-9 to Kings of the Jungle. 

Simply put, it was a great time and this is my tribute to it. As ever, enjoy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

@Dr Gloom I’ve been listening to this fella who is worth a follow on soundcloud: https://on.soundcloud.com/xsM22UQeDA74ZSAS7

His series of Jungle mixes based on releases from 1994 are particularly good. As he puts it:

Oi oi.

I've thought about this many times, and have concluded that my favourite era of jungle music, hands-down, is the spring/summer period of 1994. 

To me it wasn't quite so apparent at the time - I wasn't venturing out to proper jungle nights until later that year, and my view was polarised by a monogamous record-buying relationship with artists and labels that I semi-religiously followed throughout 1993 - the likes of Dee Jay, Skanna, Moving Shadow, Basement and Reinforced. However, with the wisdom of hindsight, and particularly after listening to loads of summer sets from the likes of Brockie, Ron and Jack Frost, the melting pot of sounds is obvious and utterly wonderful. Ragga jungle was suddenly everywhere and yet there were still elements of hardcore/rave - uplifting pads, chipmunk diva vocals - throughout the music, with DJ sets effortlessly transitioning from Nookie to M-Beat, Foul Play to Brainkillers, Tek-9 to Kings of the Jungle. 

Simply put, it was a great time and this is my tribute to it. As ever, enjoy!

96-01 is my era. Those were my rave apprenticeship years but I love the early ragga/hardcore influenced stuff so will definitely check this out.

nice one! 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 13:22, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Mrs B was just telling me they apparently opened for the Rolling Stones a few years ago when they were still touring the wee club circuit. 

On 16/01/2024 at 03:46, ohhh_yeah said:

New IDLES just dropped.

Heard someone describe IDLES as "punk for Tories". I'd be lying if I said I didn't largely agree.

On 01/02/2024 at 15:17, Blastronaut said:

Mrs B was just telling me they apparently opened for the Rolling Stones a few years ago when they were still touring the wee club circuit. 

You don’t get opportunities like that unless Mammy and Daddy know someone or are someone. Singer went to some 43k private school too. I think we have solved our conundrum