What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I'm giving Deezer a go. The Spotify app can be a pain in the tits on Android, don't know if it's any better on ios.

But aye we'll see how Deezer goes. As soon as you sign up you can bring all your Spotify albums, artists and play lists across, so that bit is solved straight away. 

Anyone into Morphine, the band well maybe the drug but mostly the band?

I just discovered Mark Sandman, the singer bass player, had a band called The Hypnosonics which is more of a groove sound than Morphine were.

38 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Anyone into Morphine, the band well maybe the drug but mostly the band?

I just discovered Mark Sandman, the singer bass player, had a band called The Hypnosonics which is more of a groove sound than Morphine were.

I know you made this joke, but being on morphine is fucking class. I would have been a bag head in ww2

• Haha 1

one for @alex - and any other middle aged junglists 

dunno if you've heard of sherelle. she's this young up and coming dnb/juke/footwoork dj. her boiler room set went viral and is well worth a listen

https://www.strawberriesandcreem.com/blog/best-boiler-room-moments-ever

love how mental that crowd is going - to be 20 something again

she's about to start a month-long residency in brixton and i'm seriously tempted to go along and raise the average age by a decade or two. 

• Like 2

Thing is with jungle (and it kind of suits me because I’m stuck in the 90s) no one is really doing anything people weren’t doing 25 years ago. The confines of the genre are partly the reason for this I guess. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

one for @alex - and any other middle aged junglists 

dunno if you've heard of sherelle. she's this young up and coming dnb/juke/footwoork dj. her boiler room set went viral and is well worth a listen

https://www.strawberriesandcreem.com/blog/best-boiler-room-moments-ever

love how mental that crowd is going - to be 20 something again

she's about to start a month-long residency in brixton and i'm seriously tempted to go along and raise the average age by a decade or two. 

Listen to Nihal on 5 live in the afternoon quite often...him and his missus regularly go to Warehouse Project in Manchester they're both 50+ :thumbup:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thing is with jungle (and it kind of suits me because I’m stuck in the 90s) no one is really doing anything people weren’t doing 25 years ago. The confines of the genre are partly the reason for this I guess. 

the juke/footwork stuff is where it's moving forwards. sherelle is a genuinley exciting talent. 

the autonomic sound (half time dnb) that came about a decade ago via dbridge and instramental is worth checking out. shame it kind of dies a death. 

i agree there is a lot of standard dnb stuff which has barely progressed from back in the day but that isn't to say i don't like having a dad rave to the more mainstreamy stuff every few months. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Agreed, Goldie nailed it with Timeless 30 years ago and it's never really been bettered iyam..

• Like 1

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

the juke/footwork stuff is where it's moving forwards. sherelle is a genuinley exciting talent. 

the autonomic sound (half time dnb) that came about a decade ago via dbridge and instramental is worth checking out. shame it kind of dies a death. 

i agree there is a lot of standard dnb stuff which has barely progressed from back in the day but that isn't to say i don't like having a dad rave to the more mainstreamy stuff every few months. 

That sample she was using is ancient though... I can't remember where it's from but it's been well used...

• Like 1

I went to a lot of rave events like Helter Skelter and clubs like Fabric either side of the millennium and the scene was staid even then imo. I remember turning to me mate I think at Helter Skelter NYE ‘98 and some big name (maybe Micky Finn) was playing and I said - I bet he plays “It’s Jazzy” next. They did and we just pissed ourselves laughing. I do check out a bit of new stuff and I like a lot of it but also feel like I’ve heard it all before. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

That sample she was using is ancient though... I can't remember where it's from but it's been well used...

not sure where the original is from but high contrast used it in his remix of has it come to this by the streets 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

fracture is worth checking out. this mix tuns into new dnb around 30 mins in (it's acid electro until then)

A quick listen and it’s a case in point. But I will have a proper listen later because it still sounds fucking lush 

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I went to a lot of rave events like Helter Skelter and clubs like Fabric either side of the millennium and the scene was staid even then imo. I remember turning to me mate when NYE ‘98 and some big name (maybe Micky Finn) was playing and I said - I bet he plays “It’s Jazzy” next. They did and we just pissed ourselves laughing. I do check out a bit of new stuff and I like a lot of it but also feel like I’ve heard it all before. 

lol….and I’m the hipster

31 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Listen to Nihal on 5 live in the afternoon quite often...him and his missus regularly go to Warehouse Project in Manchester they're both 50+ :thumbup:

Me and a mate had an argument with Nihal in the vip area at leeds festival when we were young, culminating in my mate calling him a cunt and threatening to batter him. 

• Haha 2

Just now, strawb said:

Me and a mate had an argument with Nihal in the vip area at leeds festival when we were young, culminating in my mate calling him a cunt and threatening to batter him. 

And what was the nature of this err "disagreement" :lol:

Just now, PaddockLad said:

And what was the nature of this err "disagreement" :lol:

Mate is a boro fan, Nihal was giving it the big one about boro being a small club etc (agreed) and being pissed he didn’t take it well