GPs to get flu pandemic guidance

Rob W

GPs to get flu pandemic guidance

GPs across the UK are being sent information packs about what they should do in event of a flu pandemic. Experts say an outbreak is inevitable and will probably emerge in Asia if bird flu mutates with the human version to create a highly infectious virus. GPs are being given leaflets to hand out to the public during an outbreak as well as guidance on the advice to give patients.

It has been predicted a flu pandemic could kill 50,000 in the UK.

The Department of Health said the measures did not mean the UK was on a higher state of alert and the packs were being sent out as part of the flu contingency plan announced in March. A spokeswoman said: "GPs will be the first point of call for many members of the public so it is important they know what advice to give.

"It is all part of the process of being prepared in case of an outbreak."

Some people may see this as alarming, but what it is is making sure we are properly prepared

Dr Michael Dixon, of the NHS Alliance

The government has already announced it will be stockpiling antiviral drugs and vaccines to combat flu and could place restrictions on the gathering of large crowds and travel. Under the guidance, family doctors are being told to encourage patients to take basic precautions during an outbreak such as hand-washing, covering mouths when sneezing and avoiding crowded places.

More than 50 people have died from bird flu in south east Asia so far. While no mutation with a human flu has been seen to date, experts fear it will, triggering a pandemic.

Dr Michael Dixon, chairman of the NHS Alliance, which represents GPs, said it was important all the necessary steps were taken to safeguard against a potential outbreak. "Some people may see this as alarming, but what it is is making sure we are properly prepared. GPs are probably not that clear about what their role would be if there is a pandemic, so if this helps it will be welcome."

I got 'Beijing 'flu' back in 1993 and I've never felt so ill in my life. I went down to about 9 stone in weight because I couldn't keep any food down for about a week.

Edited by alex

I got 'Beijing 'flu' back in 1993 and I've never felt so ill in my life. I went down to about 9 stone in weight because I couldn't keep any food down for about a week.

15136[/snapback]

Could do with a bout of that myself.

Seriously though, that sounds bad, must have been pretty close to death's door.

15136[/snapback]

Could do with a bout of that myself.

Seriously though, that sounds bad, must have been pretty close to death's door.

15140[/snapback]

Well, I was really skinny to start with back then but I went to that weight from about 10 and 1/2 stone so I was pretty weak. It was my first term at University so I stupidly stayed down there instead of coming home. I was pretty ill for about 3 weeks and old people, young kids and so on were actually dying from it. Gemmill could do with a dose of it :blink:

I'm a positively lithe 14 and a half stone at the minute, I'll have you know. :blink:

15167[/snapback]

Stand on those scales with both feet now! ;)

15171[/snapback]

And stop hanging from that bar on the ceiling :rolleyes:

I'm a positively lithe 14 and a half stone at the minute, I'll have you know. :blink:

15167[/snapback]

15171[/snapback]

15173[/snapback]

Cock off, c-words. :(

15167[/snapback]

15171[/snapback]

15173[/snapback]

Cock off, c-words. :(

15174[/snapback]

And put that pie down :(

Luckily I get vaccinated routinely for the flu virus as I'm classed as high risk to contract it. Unfortuntately it mutates every year into a slightly different strain so it just depends if they can keep up with whatever the virus is at the time..

15167[/snapback]

15171[/snapback]

15173[/snapback]

Cock off, c-words. :stars:

15174[/snapback]

And put that pie down :(

15175[/snapback]

No, not that pie, the other one, the really big one! :(