Best Album 2006?

Happy Face

Everyone gets boners over Illinois but really it got far too overblown and very much petered out. But it's too much. In fairness, it has some of his best individual songs, but he started to believe his own hype. Michigan is great and far more focused.

And, no, it's nothing like the Waterboys.

193209[/snapback]

It's the only one I've heard tbh. Is 'Michigan' better than Avalanche in your opinion?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone gets boners over Illinois but really it got far too overblown and very much petered out. But it's too much. In fairness, it has some of his best individual songs, but he started to believe his own hype. Michigan is great and far more focused.

193209[/snapback]

Never mind that! Apologise to ALL OF US for your misguided trust during the transfer window. :lol:

His Welcome to Illinoise was offically the best CD of last year.  ALBUM FACT!

Pianos, Flutes, Horns, Acoustics, Banjo's, a lovely voice, perfect harmonies, catchy tunes and some of the greatest track titles to ever grace a record.

189214[/snapback]

sounds good, i'll have to have a listen. Anything like the waterboys? :lol:

189260[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with their work.

190012[/snapback]

Really? Try it you might like it!! :lol:

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

It's the only one I've heard tbh. Is 'Michigan' better than Avalanche in your opinion?

193217[/snapback]

I haven't listened to Avalanche yet because it's just the Illinois out-takes. But from what I've heard of Sufjan, Michigan is by far and away my favourite; although someone else likes Seven Swans best. And a lot like Illinois. So, you know. Horses for courses.

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

But still the best album of 2005.

193214[/snapback]

Depends which other ones you've heard!

193209[/snapback]

193217[/snapback]

I haven't listened to Avalanche yet because it's just the Illinois out-takes. But from what I've heard of Sufjan, Michigan is by far and away my favourite; although someone else likes Seven Swans best. And a lot like Illinois. So, you know. Horses for courses.

193230[/snapback]

Ta, been looking to get Michigan for a while now.

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

Never mind that! Apologise to ALL OF US for your misguided trust during the transfer window. :lol:

193221[/snapback]

I'm still too shocked about that West Ham Mascherano/Tevez shit. Besides, we got a new left-back, Martins, and Duff, and potentially a very good striker to tide us over until January, so I don't see I was entirely misguided. As Shepherd said, if we'd signed Duff and Martins deadline day, and the rest earlier, everyone would be more impressed.

193209[/snapback]

193221[/snapback]

I'm still too shocked about that West Ham Mascherano/Tevez shit. Besides, we got a new left-back, Martins, and Duff, and potentially a very good striker to tide us over until January, so I don't see I was entirely misguided. As Shepherd said, if we'd signed Duff and Martins deadline day, and the rest earlier, everyone would be more impressed.

193234[/snapback]

Does someone else want to tell him? :lol:

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

193217[/snapback]

193230[/snapback]

Ta, been looking to get Michigan for a while now.

193233[/snapback]

He used to have the Michigan outtakes available free on his website, I'm not sure if that's still the case (this was spring 2004 when I got them from there). They're very good too.

p.s. Sun Came is a terrible early album, so I'd personally steer clear of that one if it comes up.

193209[/snapback]

193221[/snapback]

193234[/snapback]

See the "Even more insulting...." thread tbh. Shepherd has got you taped by the sound of it. :lol:

193209[/snapback]

Never mind that! Apologise to ALL OF US for your misguided trust during the transfer window. :yes

193221[/snapback]

193234[/snapback]

See the "Even more insulting...." thread tbh. Shepherd has got you taped by the sound of it. :lol:

193239[/snapback]

Ben's after a job at the Chronicle I reckon :lol:

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

Never mind that! Apologise to ALL OF US for your misguided trust during the transfer window. :yes

193221[/snapback]

193234[/snapback]

193239[/snapback]

Ben's after a job at the Chronicle I reckon :lol:

193244[/snapback]

I'd love to emulate my hero.

193209[/snapback]

193214[/snapback]

193231[/snapback]

I don't mean personally, I mean it featured higher up in more critics/magazines end of year top ten lists than any other album that year.

Guest Patrokles

193209[/snapback]

193214[/snapback]

193231[/snapback]

I don't mean personally, I mean it featured higher up in more critics/magazines end of year top ten lists than any other album that year.

193262[/snapback]

True that.

Not sure how legal this site is but it's frigging awesome.

You have to sign up, but free downloadable albums. If I'm liable to get the board closed due to this, then delete away.

link deleted due to ObaGol and his constant bitching :lol:

Edited by Barney

Not sure how legal this site is but it's frigging awesome.

You have to sign up, but free downloadable albums. If I'm liable to get the board closed due to this, then delete away.

www.albumbase.com

193273[/snapback]

Answered your own question there. :lol:

*Nabs link before it's erased*

• 2 months later...

Uncut's top ten...

1. Modern Times by Bob Dylan

2. White Bread Black Beer by Scritti Politti

3. Avatar by Comets On Fire

4. Ys by Joanna Newsom

5. Living With War by Neil Young

6. Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys

7. The Trials Of Van Occupanther by Midlake

8. The Warning by Hot Chip

9. The Avalanche by Sufjan Stevens

10. The Eraser by Thom Yorke

Dylan could fart into a mic and Uncut would hail it as genius tbh.

Uncut's top ten...

1. Modern Times by Bob Dylan

2. White Bread Black Beer by Scritti Politti

3. Avatar by Comets On Fire

4. Ys by Joanna Newsom

5. Living With War by Neil Young

6. Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys7. The Trials Of Van Occupanther by Midlake

8. The Warning by Hot Chip

9. The Avalanche by Sufjan Stevens

10. The Eraser by Thom Yorke

Dylan could fart into a mic and Uncut would hail it as genius tbh.

:calmdown:

[inagreeingwithPatroklesshocker] All three albums (michigan, swans & illinois) are all great recordings but will divide audiences for which is best. Buy all three and appreciate them for what they are when the right mood takes you. [/inagreeingwithPatroklesshocker]

Also don't do Enjoy your Rabbit unless you're into disjointed juxtaposed sounds.