Scolari offered england job

k4t0

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We should've at least tried to get him, I remember about the time Souness was sacked he said he would welcome any approach from an English club, not exactly a come and get me plea but I'd be disappointed if Freddy hadn't explored that avenue.

He's nails though!  I can't see him just being a nancy boy with them like Sven has been.  They'll be getting both barrels if they mess with Big Philly Style.

128295[/snapback]

Sure he had a scrap with one journalist before in Brazil :icon_lol:

His Palmeiras team were a right bunch of hooligan's as well

We should've at least tried to get him, I remember about the time Souness was sacked he said he would welcome any approach from an English club, not exactly a come and get me plea but I'd be disappointed if Freddy hadn't explored that avenue.

128297[/snapback]

When he heard his name was Phil, Fat Fred did approach him about the job. However, he failed in the interview when it became apparent that he wasn't related to the Scolari's from Daisy Hill.

I heard Shepherd in relation to 'Felipão' on Radio 5 just after Souness got sacked. He modfied his customary "To be fair, I've never heard of him" to "To be fair, I've never met him". By his tone, he seemed to be dismissing him.

That said, I think I'm write in saying he has no experience of club management in Europe, so it would have been a risk we he to have been appointed.

I heard Shepherd in relation to 'Felipão' on Radio 5 just after Souness got sacked. He modfied his customary "To be fair, I've never heard of him" to "To be fair, I've never met him". By his tone, he seemed to be dismissing him.

That said, I think I'm write in saying he has no experience of club management in Europe, so it would have been a risk we he to have been appointed.

128304[/snapback]

Smartiepants!

But then again, am I wright in saying that??? :icon_lol:

128304[/snapback]

Smartiepants!

But then again, am I wright in saying that??? :lol:

128391[/snapback]

:icon_lol: Touche

I had 5 live on before and the cockny spiv Redknapp was having a winge that it was a "Kick in the teeth for English managers" that it should go to another Johnny Foreigner and Peter Reid (why the fuck he was asked I'll never know) said if it was going to a foriegn coach it should be Wenger. Clearly it wouldn't go to Wenger becasue Dein would never let that happen.

If I was Redknapp, as an English coach, instead of bemoaning the fact that an Englishman didn't get the job, I'd be embarrassed that the FA are having to look to foreigners to manage the national team, because he and the rest of his English ilk aren't good enough.

Exactly, the problem doesn't lie with the FA, it not their fault that there are no English managers with the experience or skills for the job.

The problem seems to be with the big clubs who aren't willing to give a young English manager the chance, they'd rather get in a foreigner with a proven track record. Though saying that there is no obligation on clubs to go English, they have to appoint the best man for the job and can't afford to take a chance on unproven managers.

Exactly, the problem doesn't lie with the FA, it not their fault that there are no English managers with the experience or skills for the job.

The problem seems to be with the big clubs who aren't willing to give a young English manager the chance, they'd rather get in a foreigner with a proven track record. Though saying that there is no obligation on clubs to go English, they have to appoint the best man for the job and can't afford to take a chance on unproven managers.

128442[/snapback]

The thing is, how many young English managers really have proven themselves to be capable of taking over a big club or the national team. It's the same with Newcastle, isn't it? From those English/British managers mentioned Allardyce probably sounds most promising as he seems a bit progressive. O'Neill has a good name, too. But else? The Courbishleys, Pearces, McClarens et al aren't really the cream of the crop of managers.

It seems to get a crack at one of the top jobs these days managers really have to over-achieve, it wasn't like that in days gone past, if a club needed a new manager they didn't choose them from the continent, they were more inclined to try an Englishman who had been doing well, but with the influx of foreign players comes the managers as well.

Having the likes of Mourhino, Benitez and Wenger has benefitted the PL but to the detriment of English managers' chances of getting those top jobs. However the fact is that this time round there have been no viable English choices, none of the top 7 in the league are managed by Englishmen so the FA have no choice but to look further afield as the talent simply isn't there.

I will be happy as long as he plays attacking football, because im sick of watching the way England play under Eriksson. Also i like the fact he wont be a 'yes' man like that hom McClaren would be

128529[/snapback]

not afraid to drop the "stars", too.

hopefully hel tell beckham to fuck off and get wright-phillips to work some of his brazillian magic. speaking of which, id break the bank to get him to st james this summer. hes a class act and hes wasted at chelsea

hopefully hel tell beckham to fuck off and get wright-phillips to work some of his brazillian magic. speaking of which, id break the bank to get him to st james this summer. hes a class act and hes wasted at chelsea

128603[/snapback]

Am I allowed to reply to this without you thinking it's all about you?

I would have agreed a while ago but since then Beckham has been very consistent and SWP has (for the time being at least) fucked up his career by going to Chelsea.

I would have agreed a while ago but since then Beckham has been very consistent and SWP has (for the time being at least) fucked up his career by going to Chelsea.

128641[/snapback]

OK, no need for me to reply after all ;)

128603[/snapback]

But when Jimmy Milner gets his arse back (which he better do) we'll have no need for him. He's had a really canny season down there, and I think he's first or second in the assists tables

Scolari would be a good move for England.

Some of the reactions have been ridiculous. Monkey's Heed comments were particularly sad:

Former England midfielder Peter Reid was disappointed that an English coach had been overlooked.

"I have done my pro license like Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Steve McClaren," said Reid.

"We paid £7,000 to do them and then when it comes to the top job none of the English lads get it, which I find really disappointing."

Yes, because obviously that's a lot of money to a Premiership manager. ;)

Edited by Bombadil