Owen suffers new setback..

Scottish Mag

Michael Walker

Friday April 21, 2006

The Guardian

Michael Owen's World Cup prospects are in fresh doubt after Newcastle United revealed yesterday that he is unlikely to be fit enough to play at Birmingham City on Saturday week.

That means the striker will be available only for Newcastle's last game of the season, at home to Chelsea on May 7, with the England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson having to name his preliminary squad for Germany the following day.

"Michael has done everything our medical staff have asked of him," said the Newcastle caretaker manager, Glenn Roeder, "but the most we can now hope for is to have him back for the final game."

Whether Owen can do enough in 90 minutes - providing his right foot withstands the strain - to satisfy Eriksson cannot be certain and the Swede will remember taking a less than 100% fit David Beckham to the last World Cup.

That cost England in their quarter-final against Brazil, although it could be argued that with the six weeks before England meet Paraguay in Frankfurt containing two England friendlies and an England B game, Eriksson would be taking a greater risk in omitting Owen from his squad.

Newcastle are likely to arrange a behind-closed-doors match for Owen before the Chelsea game and there is also Alan Shearer's testimonial on Thursday 11 May - Newcastle face Celtic at St James' Park - in which Owen could play. Eriksson names his final World Cup squad on Monday May 15.

Owen has not yet taken part in a full Newcastle training session after sustaining his injury on December 31 last year in a collision with the Tottenham and England goalkeeper Paul Robinson. Owen fractured his fifth metatarsal and had a pin inserted soon after. Recovery was expected to take between 12 and 14 weeks but just as Newcastle were expecting the 26 year-old back, at the beginning of this month, Owen felt new pain and had to have a new screw inserted in his toe.

For Newcastle, chasing a European place without the injured Shearer, Owen's news is depressing. They have had scant repayment on the £16m they paid to Real Madrid last August and will have to deal with constant speculation that Owen will leave Tyneside after the World Cup.

The fans can console themselves, however, with a comment made by Owen on March 27: "The club [Newcastle] and the fans have been great to me and I want to pay them back."

I hope he doesn't go to the World Cup and before anyone pipes up it has nothing to do with me being Scottish. I would much rather concentrate on getting him fit for "Newcastle United" and the start of next season.

Even if he did go there is no chance if England get far in the competition that he`ll be able to play all the games..

Do you reckon he regrets coming here? :lol:

124893[/snapback]

Depends what lifes like under Roeder?

I do not think for a minute he had a problem previously under Souness. Whilst he might not have been impressed by our performances on the park, off it picking up 120 grand a week (or whatever hes paid), playing 5 a side football in the morning and spending the afternoons at the horses i`m sure softened the blow.

*Thats not a dig at Owen btw, more the point that i think most people would be happy with that standard of lifestyle under Souness*

I hope he doesn't go to the World Cup and before anyone pipes up it has nothing to do with me being Scottish. I would much rather concentrate on getting him fit for "Newcastle United" and the start of next season.

Even if he did go there is no chance if England get far in the competition that he`ll be able to play all the games..

124892[/snapback]

I know just what you mean, all you have to do is look back to the last world cup and take David Beckham as an example, Beckham suffered a very similar injury to Owen and in hindsight clearly wasn't 100% fit, and as a result England suffered as a result.

And if any further evidence was required, you only need to take stock of the fact that i bought an England "Owen" 10 shirt to prove that he will be fucked by the World Cup !

I do want him to go to the World Cup and play well. This is probably the best chance in the next 20 years we (England) are going to get to win it.

It's in our own continent and we've got an excellent group of players all peaking at the same time.

Sven has some thinking to do regarding Owen, Sol, Ashley Cole and Ledley King.

I think it's only fair not to be churlish about him going to the W.C.

If he makes it, then that's fine by me.

I think he will be in the squad as he is the only world class penalty box striker we have, and there is a long time to get fitter and ready for the tournament imo.

If he was ready, NUFC would play him so I don't think it's him that is holding back.

Amazing, isn't it? Roeder says he's going to leave him until the Chelsea game to make sure he's 100% fit and the press turn that into a "Owen might not make the WC" article...

Poor....

As much as Id like to see him fit before the end of the season, I think Owen would be happier going and having a good world cup and coming back next season to NUFC that I do if he missed the WC and had to come back. With no WC I think he may be more tempted to go look for a bigger stage to play on while the WC may supress that appitite for one season, giving us a chance to get back up with te forum we are showing now.

Don't know about that - remember how we rested (P)Jenis, Dyer, Shay and a couple of others after the last world cup?

And I think we were playing CL qualifiers, were we not?

124994[/snapback]

Sorry, was meant to say would play in it. :blush:

124997[/snapback]

Nut! :lol: