Dirk Kuyt

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder will send his chief scout David Mills to run the rule over Feyenoord's Dutch goalscoring striker Dirk Kuyt this weekend.

And Mills will go to Holland with the blessing of chairman Freddy Shepherd as United aim not to be caught out in the close season signing merry-go-round.

Indeed, Shepherd said today: "Just because we have not yet appointed a permanent manager does not mean that our scouting team is not out there looking at players."

It was on Roeder's advice that Shepherd has been keeping an eye on the Ruud van Nistelrooy situation at Manchester United and the caretaker manager does not hide his admiration for Kuyt, another of Holland's top strikers.

In fact, Roeder broke off his preparations for Sunday's derby match at Middlesbrough to tell me today: "I have asked our chief scout David Mills to have a look at Kuyt this weekend.

"He is a top player as far as I am concerned and I believe he will have a great World Cup for Holland. For me, he is out of the Van Nistelrooy mould and I am a big admirer of both them."

Obviously, United know that Kuyt will not come cheap, having made inquiries about him before they splashed out £17m for Michael Owen last August.

And they also know that in Salomon Kalou, Feyernoord have another £10m-rated striker in whom Chelsea are interested.

The 16-times capped Kuyt is not a pacy striker in the mould of Craig Bellamy but he does score goals for fun, having already bagged 21 from 31 games this season.

And, speaking of pace, this is one reason why reports over the weekend that United were prepared to sacrifice James Milner, who is on loan to Aston Villa for this season, for left- winger Gareth Barry could not be wider of the mark.

For no matter who is manager of United next season, one of his main jobs will be to inject some pace into the side - something which is lacking now but which Milner has and Barry does not.

Once again it could be an interesting close season at St James' Park with several players coming in - and several leaving.

But United have been careful to make sure that no senior player sees his contract expire this summer, while one which does in run out in 2007 - that of Shay Given - will be extended in July

Don't know much about the lad, but he can't seem to stop scoring. Mind, we'd face pretty stiff competition to get him, you would think??

Glad to see us identifying targets for the summer an'all. Even bearing in mind that Roeder won't be in charge then.

I was hoping we (liverpool) would get him. How can you be looking to buy players when you don't know who your manager is going to be?

117142[/snapback]

Dunno mate. And all these players the papers have been linking us with recently, most of us have assumed that it's bollocks for that reason. But it looks like they're at least sending the scouts out to have a look so that the new bloke can make an informed choice, I suppose.

Finishing: 19

OMG!!11!!  SIGN HIM UP LOL!!11

117176[/snapback]

Thing is like, I've heard loads about him, but I've honestly never seen him play.

117176[/snapback]

Thing is like, I've heard loads about him, but I've honestly never seen him play.

117178[/snapback]

Nah, me neither. Can't stop scoring in the Dutch league is all I know. We'll make a Tommasson of him yet.

Dunno mate.  And all these players the papers have been linking us with recently, most of us have assumed that it's bollocks for that reason.  But it looks like they're at least sending the scouts out to have a look so that the new bloke can make an informed choice, I suppose.

117162[/snapback]

ah alright then. I would have thought the new man would have his own ideas. Especially about players with a decent profile. I spose your scouts have to do something to justify their existence right know. They'd be better off finding unknowns like that N'zogbia kid was. he looks class.

117178[/snapback]

i've seen him about 6-7 times and he was quite good. Ugly as sin mind.

:lol::lol:

Since when did NUFC start talking to all and sundry about sending scouts to have a look at players???

Can't get me head around this one at all.

Our new manager (I honestly reckon the deal is done, but for some reason remains unannounced) maybe telling Freddie to send somebody to have a look??

Strange.

:lol:  :lol:

Since when did NUFC start talking to all and sundry about sending scouts to have a look at players???

Our new manager (I honestly reckon the deal is done, but for some reason remains unannounced) maybe telling Freddie to send somebody to have a look??

Strange.

117196[/snapback]

Would tie in with your Hiddink theory (assuming you weren't taking the piss) which would be a very nice outcome indeed.

Strange.

117196[/snapback]

Would tie in with your Hiddink theory (assuming you weren't taking the piss) which would be a very nice outcome indeed.

117198[/snapback]

No, I wasn't taking the piss about Hiddink. I have no insider knowledge - other than the cheese, of course - but I would give wor lass multiple orgasms if he did end up here.

Strange.

117196[/snapback]

117198[/snapback]

No, I wasn't taking the piss about Hiddink. I have no insider knowledge - other than the cheese, of course - but I would give wor lass multiple orgasms if he did end up here.

117201[/snapback]

I reckon she can rest easy tbh. Even if it is Hiddink. :lol:

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

Nah, me neither. Can't stop scoring in the Dutch league is all I know. We'll make a Tommasson of him yet.

117182[/snapback]

I've seen him in a couple of domestic and European games for Feyernoord and a couple of Dutch internationals. He really looks like a top player, strong and prolific. Don't think you can compare him to Tomasson tbh as Kuyt is more mature and already captain of one of the top teams in the Dutch league. He is at least the calibre we should be looking at to replace Shearer.

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

117182[/snapback]

I've seen him in a couple of domestic and European games for Feyernoord and a couple of Dutch internationals. He really looks like a top player, strong and prolific. Don't think you can compare him to Tomasson tbh as Kuyt is more mature and already captain of one of the top teams in the Dutch league. He is at least the calibre we should be looking at to replace Shearer.

117210[/snapback]

I just meant that if anyone can derail his career, we can, you dopey get. :lol:

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

117182[/snapback]

117210[/snapback]

117211[/snapback]

I actually know what you meant, I just wanted to state that I think why there is the (highly unrealistic) possibility why we would not be able to derail his career, you fat, debtridden bastid. :lol:

Edited by Isegrim

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

117182[/snapback]

117210[/snapback]

117211[/snapback]

I actually know what you meant, I just wanted to state that I think why there is the (highly unrealistic) possibility why we would not be able to derail his career, you fat, debtridden bastid. :lol:

117215[/snapback]

Debtridden as an insult eh? Very good! :lol:

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

117182[/snapback]

117210[/snapback]

117211[/snapback]

117215[/snapback]

117217[/snapback]

Well, to me an accountant who can't control his finances is as competent as an obese nutritionist... B)

117176[/snapback]

117178[/snapback]

117182[/snapback]

117210[/snapback]

117211[/snapback]

117215[/snapback]

117217[/snapback]

Well, to me an accountant who can't control his finances is as competent as an obese nutritionist... B)

117228[/snapback]

I'm not paid to control my finances. ;) And I don't have to announce them to prospective employees in the same way that an obese nutritionist would have to "announce" his obesity.