General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Property selling advice. Im selling a house for the first time.

It was listed at offers over £X but a cash buyer/investor has come in £40k under that price.  I want to a deal and don't want to scare them off,  but what's the etiquette here? Do I just downright refuse or do I say £X-£10k in hope that he comes back in with a higher counter offer?

Are you in a rush to sell? If not then a cash buyer isn’t much of an advantage.

£40k under asking is a bit of a piss take. It could be a brave opening bid or just someone chancing their hand in the hope of getting a bargain. 

I’d just flat out reject it and see if they follow up.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It was listed at offers over £X but a cash buyer/investor has come in £40k under that price.  I want to a deal and don't want to scare them off,  but what's the etiquette here? Do I just downright refuse or do I say £X-£10k in hope that he comes back in with a higher counter offer?

The correct response is "Get tae fuck you dippit cunt". 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Knock it back. Don't give them a counter offer, they were taking the piss with the first offer and if your immediate response is to drop your asking price, they'll think they can keep taking the piss. 

Just keep saying no til they get to a figure you're prepared to accept. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ewerk said:

To be fair, finding posts where wyki is moaning about work is like shooting fish in a barrel.

He’s from Yorkshire, it’s his job to piss and moan about his job (and everything else for that matter).

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Literally say no, and laugh while you do it

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

In my experience people who say they are cash buyers are often liars, cunts or both.  They say that to make you believe they have clout. Ignore that aspect completely .  

• Like 4

Also, if they are a property investor, the max number that they think they can make a return on might be lower than your min number. But that's their fucking problem. Definitely don't make it yours by selling for something below what you need.

It might temporarily feel like a good idea for a quick sale, and you can sometimes talk yourself into £10k not mattering that much in the grand scheme of things. 

But nobody normal can afford to think like that about £10k. That's over a year of the average UK monthly mortgage payment. It feels small relative to the house value but it's not small relative to a normal person's life. 

Unless you're fucking loaded, in which case FUCK YOU BITCH. 

• Like 1

Also depends how long it’s been up for sale. Quite often estate agents will give their property dealing mates 1st shout.

Also, we are entering a period of interest rates coming down which will fuel the market.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Can someone revoke that CUNTS search function

ewerk searching 

It’s not my fault you use this place as your own personal burn book!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Also, if they are a property investor, the max number that they think they can make a return on might be lower than your min number. But that's their fucking problem. Definitely don't make it yours by selling for something below what you need.

It might temporarily feel like a good idea for a quick sale, and you can sometimes talk yourself into £10k not mattering that much in the grand scheme of things. 

But nobody normal can afford to think like that about £10k. That's over a year of the average UK monthly mortgage payment. It feels small relative to the house value but it's not small relative to a normal person's life. 

Unless you're fucking loaded, in which case FUCK YOU BITCH. 

See I don't agree with the so-called accountant here. In normal circumstances, of course £10k is a lot. But you do have to regard it as relative to your house value. Not doing a deal for the sake of £10k is penny wise and pound foolish if it ultimately leads to months of stagnation when, for instance, property you might want to buy has increased by more than £10k in that time. And if you're upsizing, the more expensive house will increase more in value than your own most the time. All depends on the market of course.

When I was younger, my main mistake was not stretching myself so I got the right house first time for the sake of a few grand. As a result, I have moved house twice as much as I needed with all the money spent on fees, stamp duty, removal, rent and just the massive ball ache of it all to consider. I reckon I have lost tens of thousands as a result, in fact probably easily going into six figures. I would tell the younger me not to worry over a few grand, get what I want and need for the future, now. I realise this is buying not selling but in principle they go together. 

• Like 1

The goal at our life stage is to pay your mortgage off. The time left to do that is shorter. So you don't let somebody have your house for cheaper than you value it cos "it's only £10k" if that's a year or more added to your mortgage. 

I know McGroin is younger, but I don't think he's that much younger. You're not talking to someone that's just getting on the property ladder.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The goal at our life stage is to pay your mortgage off. The time left to do that is shorter. So you don't let somebody have your house for cheaper than you value it cos "it's only £10k" if that's a year or more added to your mortgage. 

I know McGroin is younger, but I don't think he's that much younger. You're not talking to someone that's just getting on the property ladder.

Well if he's selling he is also buying, probably upsizing as you only downsize in later life or, ahem, after a divorce. You have to consider the two together. In a rising property market,  time is literally money. Although we may not be in a rising market, I honestly don't know. 

Just a bit more detail. This is my second property. I bought it solely in my 20s. When I got with my mrs we bought a property together (which we won’t pay off until I’m about 60+ at current trajectory) and I rented this one out. I don’t particularly like being a landlord and the last pair treated it like a student house so I’ve binned them off while i sell it. So I have no income from rent. It’s been on the market a couple of months now but I’m expecting more interest as I’ve just dropped the asking price £10k inline with interest cut. 

im getting married next year so it’ll be hers anyway soon so it may just go towards paying off current mortgage.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Cheers all.

I’ve gone in blunt. I’ll let the estate agent do the leg work.

image.png

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

An unmarried slumlord, living in sin. 

Well, this thread has exposed some UNWELCOME TRUTHS. 

Landlords 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

An unmarried slumlord, living in sin. 

Well, this thread has exposed some UNWELCOME TRUTHS. 

8zqag6.jpg

• Haha 4