General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i dislike the awkward moments when you worry about whether you should have tipped some bloke who spent way too long hanging around after showing you how to locate the room's AC and light switches. 

I'll save you some anxiety. No you shouldn't have.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I'll save you some anxiety. No you shouldn't have.

i mean, you don't get that, erm, attention to detail when shown to your room in four star hotels. i'm pretty sure they are hoping for a tip for carrying your bag and showing you how to open the curtains 

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i dislike the awkward moments when you worry about whether you should have tipped some bloke who spent way too long hanging around after showing you how to locate the room's AC and light switches. 

but lets be honest. these weekends are for the wives. there's fuck all chance i'm staying anywhere like this with the lads, but then i don't want to get into their pants at bedtime 

My lass isn’t into them either. Which is obviously good for me, because I’m not going to pretend I wouldn’t occasionally be subjected to them if she was. 

• Like 2

I stayed at Rudding Park a few years ago.  Its full of kids working there.  Owner is a right tight cunt and charging a fortune for a place that has a decent spa (I worked on it so its class) but the Hotel is quite tired in places.  When working on the Spa he would do anything to save brass.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i mean, you don't get that, erm, attention to detail when shown to your room in four star hotels. i'm pretty sure they are hoping for a tip for carrying your bag and showing you how to open the curtains 

And you're already paying for the privilege. They're a fucking nuisance anyway. Let's not turn into idiot Americans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Tell them to look both ways before they cross the road 👍🏻

• Haha 1

I honestly can't get my head around how any person (either sex) from a normal working background (jobs, mortgage etc) would value 5 star service. I don't want it at best and, as said,  its awkward/uncomfortable at worst. Besides, I'm not staying at a hotel to be stuck in a hotel. Obviously on a beach holiday I value comfort but I'm perfectly capable of doing things for myself. 3 or 4 star is fine.  Like Alex, fortunately my wife agrees. 

I don't know what the fuck you lads imagine is happening in terms of service at 5 star hotels. :lol:

Basically the rooms are nicer and you get a decent feed. That's it. You don't get your own personal butler or anything. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I honestly can't get my head around how any person (either sex) from a normal working background (jobs, mortgage etc) would value 5 star service. I don't want it at best and, as said,  its awkward/uncomfortable at worst. Besides, I'm not staying at a hotel to be stuck in a hotel. Obviously on a beach holiday I value comfort but I'm perfectly capable of doing things for myself. 3 or 4 star is fine.  Like Alex, fortunately my wife agrees. 

You mentioned the other day you haven't been away on a romantic holiday for 13 years.  I reckon that's got something to do with the 3 STAR room and the 1 STAR romance. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I don't know what the fuck you lads imagine is happening in terms of service at 5 star hotels. :lol:

Basically the rooms are nicer and you get a decent feed. That's it. You don't get your own personal butler or anything. 

wes anderson GIF by Digg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Renton said:

I've not noticed much difference in my limited experience bwtween 5 star and 4 star tbh. 5 star the staff wear silly outfits and are more pompous. Food and drink no difference save the cost. All in all, I prefer 4 star. 

jordan knight premiere GIF by Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block

There generally isn’t much difference. I think you need 24x7 food service in a 5 star and maybe a pool.

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I didn't notice Renton's claim that they "wear silly outfits".  I'm genuinely intrigued as to what is going on here. :lol:

Have you been watching period dramas and thinking that it's all set in a 5 star hotel? 

Renton is clearly too working class to experience a 5* so is just imagining what he thinks it is. 😂

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I didn't notice Renton's claim that they "wear silly outfits".  I'm genuinely intrigued as to what is going on here. :lol:

Have you been watching period dramas and thinking that it's all set in a 5 star hotel? 

I don't waste money on 5* hotels, but my work put me up in Grand at York recently (5*). Yes, the outfits looked like something from Upstairs Downstairs.

image.png.3bbb61727d6f732c0a1675c690299876.png

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I don't waste money on 5* hotels, but my work put me up in Grand at York recently (5*). Yes, the outfits looked like something from Upstairs Downstairs.

image.png.3bbb61727d6f732c0a1675c690299876.png

I'd say the majority of 5* hotels don't have these. It's just extra swank some do. 

I mean though, if work isn't paying, how much extra are people willing to pay for all this? What type of salaries are you mofos on that you don't have better things to do with your money? 

I needed to be in Edinburgh the other week and it cost £200 for a premier inn ffs. 5* would have been >£800. 

By the way, I think I mentioned it on here but we’d been talking about a few of us who went to school together doing something as we all turn 50 this coming academic year. Apart from some talk of s festival and what not, this was also suggested:

https://www.canopyandstars.co.uk/britain/england/cumbria/dodgsonwood/cottage-in-the-clouds#search_type=keyword&search_text=cumbria&

Now that’s the other extreme. FUCK THAT SHIT. Proper shades of this: 

IMG_8892.jpeg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alex said:

By the way, I think I mentioned it on here but we’d been talking about a few of us who went to school together doing something as we all turn 50 this coming academic year. Apart from some talk of s festival and what not, this was also suggested:

https://www.canopyandstars.co.uk/britain/england/cumbria/dodgsonwood/cottage-in-the-clouds#search_type=keyword&search_text=cumbria&

Now that’s the other extreme. FUCK THAT SHIT. Proper shades of this: 

IMG_8892.jpeg

Which grisly murder suicide happened there, I wonder?

• Haha 2