General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

32 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

but it's our anniversary today

Congratulations! Mine too. Sentence is 29 years so far! 

Not having a good one unfortunately. I have lots of family issues mounting up from the generation below and above me, and I can feel my anxiety levels soar. :( Also got my own employment stresses which is not helping. Goig to go for a long walk I think. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Btw, 21st century tunes you like to hear, I'll say Moloko and 'sing it back'. Catchy as fuck and still sounds current. :ok:

Don't worry Ciaomanheyman, if it's good it's good, this lot with their terrible 21st century tunes.

Being as serious as a heart attack if you want something that's brilliant contemporary pop you don't have to look beyond Jessie Ware or Jungle.

But the sad thing is Sault will never get the exposure they deserve.

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Going to go for a long walk I think. 

Hope it improves Rents. A walk might not fix everything but it's great way to change the scenery when you need a moment.

And happy anniversary to both you and HMHM (and your wives, not each other but we are a modern forum, so that's okay too).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Don't worry Ciaomanheyman, if it's good it's good, this lot with their terrible 21st century tunes.

Being as serious as a heart attack if you want something that's brilliant contemporary pop you don't have to look beyond Jessie Ware or Jungle.

But the sad thing is Sault will never get the exposure they deserve.

Am all over Jungle, they’re brilliant . Jessie Ware not so much but someone has recommended Sault, it might even have been you? 

• Like 1

Happy anniversary to HMHM & Rents. And happy birthday to the now semi-permanent Mrs PL :) 

Sorry to hear of your troubles Rents, hope things work out ok 

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Happy anniversary to HMHM & Rents. And happy birthday to the now semi-permanent Mrs PL :) 

I'm guessing you must have real difficulties choosing the right anniversary card? 

"No, no, no. Don't you have one which says semi-permanent wife? And not this forever stuff, have you got one which says currently or for now? GOnna have to go to Moon pig again I guess".  

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

will be now making implements and aids to help people walk or save them from discomfort

Is it in Cramlington? 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m giving you three weeks till you twat the supervisor with a crutch you’ve half finished making :good: 

I'm not expecting him to turn up on Monday. 🙂 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Renton said:

Congratulations! Mine too. Sentence is 29 years so far! 

Not having a good one unfortunately. I have lots of family issues mounting up from the generation below and above me, and I can feel my anxiety levels soar. :( Also got my own employment stresses which is not helping. Goig to go for a long walk I think. 

Happy anniversary and hope things can settle down, I'm also worrying about parents etc and it's a shit part of getting to our age. 

30 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Is it in Cramlington? 

No it's literally ten minutes walk from my door if I take a shortcut, it's in Walkergate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

My anniversary is this weekend. 5 years, new PB. 

Don't worry, there'll be a robot version soon so you can dispense with the human wife. :good:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Don't worry, there'll be a robot version soon so you can dispense with the human wife. :good:

I’d happily swap to a robot wife is she gave it the old  “hawk tuah” on my “thang” every now and again. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 5

To add to my woes my daughter is now a teenager, and very much actring like it. Just got an e-mail from Google. After they turn 13 years, parents cannot control their Google/Ms/Apple accounts. 

I find this fucking ridciulous. Social media is a massive prblem with children as it is (and 13 is still a child imo) yet at this age they have complete autonomy. Meaning the only way I can control it is too physically take devices off her which will lead to a genuine physical fight. 

image.png.6d67a14bb54a3ebba7157cb47ce79c9a.png

What I would like is some easy-to-use app wherbyuI could control the wifi so certain devices can be cut off with a switch. Is there any such thing? If not, I may have an idea for Dragon's Den. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

To add to my woes my daughter is now a teenager, and very much actring like it. Just got an e-mail from Google. After they turn 13 years, parents cannot control their Google/Ms/Apple accounts. 

I find this fucking ridciulous. Social media is a massive prblem with children as it is (and 13 is still a child imo) yet at this age they have complete autonomy. Meaning the only way I can control it is too physically take devices off her which will lead to a genuine physical fight. 

What I would like is some easy-to-use app wherbyuI could control the wifi so certain devices can be cut off with a switch. Is there any such thing? If not, I may have an idea for Dragon's Den. 

Someone I know mentioned they had this. Not sure which provider they are using. I’ll try and think on and ask then what they actually use. But effectively you have a master login which controls the access to the internet of the other logins (who have their own logins). Although you wouldn’t be able to stop them using mobile data on their phone I suppose 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Any decent router should let you set controls for individual devices and let you set times and switch off and on as needed. As alex says though, mobile data can’t be controlled in the same way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

There's third party apps where you can block stuff and get reports if they look at things they shouldn't (or try to look at things they shouldn't). 

If she's on android, Google Family Link is a thing, or there's third party apps. 

If you really wanted to lock shit down, get something like AppBlock, block all the apps on her phone other than ones you want, and you can even limit access to those apps within certain time frames. New apps installed from the play store can be automatically added to the blocklist too. 

Yeah, I don know there is a way of doing it but I don't think its practible to do this everyday, its not got a good UI or anything. I'm just not tech savvy enough/too lazy.

If she had to use mobile data she would rapidly use her allowance, the amount of tik tok she uses. Social media is like crack cocaine to her, it's a constant battle and I'm fucking sick of it tbh. 

• Like 2

AppBlock you do once, set and forget baby. It has a "strict" setting so that even the person that owns the phone can't get around it or disable the blocking.

I mean your daughter may never speak to you again, but needs must. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

There's third party apps where you can block stuff and get reports if they look at things they shouldn't (or try to look at things they shouldn't). 

If she's on android, Google Family Link is a thing, or there's third party apps. 

If you really wanted to lock shit down, get something like AppBlock, block all the apps on her phone other than ones you want, and you can even limit access to those apps within certain time frames. New apps installed from the play store can be automatically added to the blocklist too. 

See I thought the e-mail I got sent said she does not now have to consent to the family link, andits limitations she can leave whenever she wants. She mainly uses Apple so Mrs Rents is responsible but they've sent the same message so it's obviously a legal thing. I'll have a look at that Appblock though, cheers.

On a serious note, this technology is really, really bad for kids. She has a birthday meal with her mates, and they are all on their fucking phones not talking face to face to each other. Hope they grow out of it one day. 

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

AppBlock you do once, set and forget baby. It has a "strict" setting so that even the person that owns the phone can't get around it or disable the blocking.

I mean your daughter may never speak to you again, but needs must. 

Win win, by the sounds of things.

This shit is definitely something we're worried about. I remember seeing something about a group who set up a fake account on tiktok pretending to be a teenage girl. Something insane like minutes after they did, the feed was filled with stuff about dieting, dating and self harm.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Win win, by the sounds of things.

This shit is definitely something we're worried about. I remember seeing something about a group who set up a fake account on tiktok pretending to be a teenage girl. Something insane like minutes after they did, the feed was filled with stuff about dieting, dating and self harm.

Have you got kids like? I didn’t even know you had a lass

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I would strongly recommend not having kids. My dog has, as yet, not asked for a mobile phone. 

That's cos you don't speak dog. 

image.png.0b13cf6b7f766c5cb9b7a0b35bee29ea.png

There was some thing on theother day about how they're now screening films for dogs. World's gone mad.