General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Aye, when I've been to the carribean, it's been common for young Americans to rock up to the hotel and stay 3 nights before flying back. I know it's closer for them but fuck that, barely get unpacked. 

A mate of a mate moved to the US about 20 years ago to work for the same firm over there. He made it a condition he'd keep his 25 days or whatever it was instead of going down to 10 which they agreed as long as he kept quiet about it. I couldn't see how the latter would work as I'd imagine a few people would notice. 

The Americans have it wrong of course about lfewer  holidays meaning increased productivity - the Germans are a lot more productive and have shit loads of leave when you count all the religious holidays they have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The place I just moved to as recently as last year implemented a new policy whereby you can just book no-questions-asked time off if you've got something going on in your life.

So if something happens to a family member or you need to take time off for your own mental health or anything. You just tell your boss, book it in the system, and off you go.

I was amazed, given the way the rest of the country is going.

Wait, before this you had to actually justify your time off? Or is this just a different, additional, type of leave?

I get my annual leave days that I can take whenever and don't need to say why I'm taking them. Just "I'm going to be off this day BRBLATERZLOL" 

A few Care of Dependents days. So if the little'un is sick I can take time off work that isn't annual leave or my own sick days. 

A few Family Leave days. So if he's doing something at school, like a play or owt.

Sick days (obvs)

All of these require zero manager consultation.

And every month or so a 'Spirit of Me' day where our side of business has zero internal meetings and you can use it for whatever you like as long as you're on top of your work. 

You get holiday, you get sick days  and then you get these other days for basically whatever. Say your dog dies or a family member suddenly needs urgent care, whatever.

They don't have an upper limit on them and you just need to tell your manager you're taking them.

• Like 1

It's funny. When I was ill last year in hospital for 2 weeks, no questions asked here. Take as long as you want for your Dad etc. At the Freeman working for the NHS, you got hauled before HR and most likely a disciplinary  if you had more than 3 episodes of illness in a 2 year period. Didn't matter if it was a 1/2 day or 3 months off. My colleague had serious heart problems, needed an operation in the actual Freeman hospital itself ffs, and got a disciplinary! If you had a chronic condition like Migraine, you were fucked there. Fostered a feeling of hatred towards HR and personally I'm nor surprised the latest CQC grading has been bad. 

Or then there was the time I had to go in daily for an office job when there was no need during peak pandemic. I know some clinical staff who couldn't be used who did the same. 8 hours a day, sitting in a chair, doing nowt, going stir crazy. My brother now has to commute to Leeds twice weekly now to meet - nobody. If you don't like it, leave, they say. Point I'm making is I guess people wrongly think the public sector is great for your working rights. It's not. Make sure you get a union rep is my advice. 

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm at the Freeman next week. What are the odds of me getting pushed around the corridors by you?

Zero, since I left 3 years ago and never pushed a trolley. Place has gone to shit since I left mind, good luck. 

11 hours ago, Renton said:

When I had a wasps nest I paid the council to take care of it. £30 iirc. Mind that was I. 2006 so probably £3392 now. 

That's a shout that, worth a try. Noticed the loft hatch was slightly ajar so assuming it came from up there. I'm an absolute shitebag when it comes to wasps. A few summers ago in the old digs we had a nest in behind the cladding near our back door. In my infinite wisdom I grabbed a sealant gun and filled in all the gaps they were using for access, opened the door about half an hour later to be confronted by a cloud of angry wasps. Think my missus and kids might still have PTSD from me slamming the door shut and running through the house shouting "shut all the fucking windows! NOBODY GO OUTSIDE!"

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

That's a shout that, worth a try. Noticed the loft hatch was slightly ajar so assuming it came from up there. I'm an absolute shitebag when it comes to wasps. A few summers ago in the old digs we had a nest in behind the cladding near our back door. In my infinite wisdom I grabbed a sealant gun and filled in all the gaps they were using for access, opened the door about half an hour later to be confronted by a cloud of angry wasps. Think my missus and kids might still have PTSD from me slamming the door shut and running through the house shouting "shut all the fucking windows! NOBODY GO OUTSIDE!"

Hate the fuckers. I've never been stung and as a result I think I'm irrationally terrified of them. Not too bad for wasps here though, West coast of Scotland is worst place for them I have been to. Beautiful landscape, superlative walking, terrible weather, midges, and fucking wasps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I know the birth rate is meant to be too low in this country so we're headed for an ageing population with not enough people to wipe their arses.

Don’t worry, the government have a plan.

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hate the fuckers. I've never been stung and as a result I think I'm irrationally terrified of them. Not too bad for wasps here though, West coast of Scotland is worst place for them I have been to. Beautiful landscape, superlative walking, terrible weather, midges, and fucking wasps. 

Same, just an irrational fear. I should've got over it by my age but I'll always remember an good friend of mines playing the hard man act at a barbeque and literally catching one with his bare hands. Cunt stood there proudly, fist clenched telling everyone "it's just a wasp, you're all shitebags". Then he opened his hand to prove he had truly caught it, at which point the wasp stung him and he cried like a little girl.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sounds about right 

I got setting for the first time a couple of years ago. On the finger. You wouldn't request a repeat performance but it wasn't that bad.

I'd take one over a headache or a bad hangover.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Imagine thinking that policy is worth boasting about ffs. What a set of ghouls.

"Good enough to wipe our arses, but leave your brown kids at home please"

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

And don't forget to send all your money back home so you don't spend it here for the good of the economy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

It's really odd as well. The main people who are with them on this anti-immigration crusade are racist wrinklies. This will probably make them think twice when they can't get a carer, I suspect it's counterproductive. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

The government that has brought you record levels of immigration has a plan to deliver the biggest ever cut in migration? :lol: 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

The government that has brought you record levels of immigration has a plan to deliver the biggest ever cut in migration? :lol: 

That;'s the story of the tories at the moment. Like after covid, we had the the greatest fall in GDP in the developed World (despite in theory being in a  good position to manage it) and so obviously we had the biggest bounce back. But you cut GDP by 10% then bounce back by 10%, that's still a fall in net GDP. Yet they are still trying to dine out on this dubious fact. Everything that comes out of their mouths is either a literal lie or a de facto lie. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Imagine thinking it’s a policy that’ll turn things around for them too. On one hand you’ve got people appalled by that sort of rhetoric. On the other you’ve got people who are very anti-immigration who don’t trust them to deliver. Then the majority in the middle with far more pressing priorities 

• Like 1

:lol: Saw that a while back. Apparently the lad has Tourette’s, which doesn’t make it any less funny. 

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Alex said:

:lol: Saw that a while back. Apparently the lad has Tourette’s, which doesn’t make it any less funny. 

Immediately made me think about "I swear I can't help it" on Channel 4.

• Like 1