General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

back in the olden days of a misspent youth I was a bit of a dab hand in the art of liberty cap hunting, a favourite spot would be in the fields behind the moorcock pub on waskerley moors the other side of consett. down here a famous hunting ground is hay bluff in the black mountains a few mile above hay-on-wye. both of these spots you could pick literally hundreds of the fucking things in no time at all.  :lol:

anyway, I was a staunch supporter of the liberty cap and very dismissive of all other weird and wonderful varieties from mexico, thailand etc which became trendy in the early '00s and which you buy quite freely in certain shops up until they made the whole lot illegal in 2005.

the fly agaric however had an aura about it, i was never confident enough (read, lacked the bottle) to have a go at this bad boy mushroom, even if you could find one. the only time ive ever seen anybody who ate one was sat on the pavement outside lakota nightclub in bristol being violently sick, sort of put me off even more!

walking the dog yesterday across monmouth golf course at the bottom of a silver birch tree at the side of the 12th fairway, I saw this, never seen owt like it in me life in this concentration, enough ibotenic acid to floor an entire herd of elephant I reckon..... tempted?

20241010_183503.thumb.jpg.798ec04518ffa083360b873e5bd1fa62.jpg

• Haha 3

Just reading Bellamy's Wikipedia there. Died in a care home in Barnard Castle in Dec 2019. Just three months later and his family wouldn't have been able to be with him when he went. Covid times were a proper cunt. 

2 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

back in the olden days of a misspent youth I was a bit of a dab hand in the art of liberty cap hunting, a favourite spot would be in the fields behind the moorcock pub on waskerley moors the other side of consett. down here a famous hunting ground is hay bluff in the black mountains a few mile above hay-on-wye. both of these spots you could pick literally hundreds of the fucking things in no time at all.  :lol:

anyway, I was a staunch supporter of the liberty cap and very dismissive of all other weird and wonderful varieties from mexico, thailand etc which became trendy in the early '00s and which you buy quite freely in certain shops up until they made the whole lot illegal in 2005.

the fly agaric however had an aura about it, i was never confident enough (read, lacked the bottle) to have a go at this bad boy mushroom, even if you could find one. the only time ive ever seen anybody who ate one was sat on the pavement outside lakota nightclub in bristol being violently sick, sort of put me off even more!

walking the dog yesterday across monmouth golf course at the bottom of a silver birch tree at the side of the 12th fairway, I saw this, never seen owt like it in me life in this concentration, enough ibotenic acid to floor an entire herd of elephant I reckon..... tempted?

20241010_183503.thumb.jpg.798ec04518ffa083360b873e5bd1fa62.jpg

Knew a lad who had a book on hallucinogenic mushrooms. Iirc you had to be very careful with the preparation of fly agaric. Never bother with that myself although nearly everyone I knocked about with did liberty cap ones. Which are obviously much safer, from a poisoning yourself pov. 
The period you’re in about, when you could get the Hawaiian ones etc in places like Kard Bar. They were imported from Holland (where they were legal). And someone had spotted a loophole in the law. Iirc, they were only illegal if ‘prepared’. I.e. dried and / or added to hot water to consume. So they sold fresh ones for a while. 
I saw a good documentary re: the industry in the Netherlands. A foreign tourist with mental health problems jumped off a building or something and died after taking some. The government banned them. So these farmers diversified into growing hallucinogenic truffles instead. They became known as the Truffle Brothers :D 

Not really sure why they were ok but the shrooms weren’t. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

Knew a lad who had a book on hallucinogenic mushrooms. Iirc you had to be very careful with the preparation of fly agaric. Never bother with that myself although nearly everyone I knocked about with did liberty cap ones. Which are obviously much safer, from a poisoning yourself pov. 
The period you’re in about, when you could get the Hawaiian ones etc in places like Kard Bar. They were imported from Holland (where they were legal). And someone had spotted a loophole in the law. Iirc, they were only illegal if ‘prepared’. I.e. dried and / or added to hot water to consume. So they sold fresh ones for a while. 
I saw a good documentary re: the industry in the Netherlands. A foreign tourist with mental health problems jumped off a building or something and died after taking some. The government banned them. So these farmers diversified into growing hallucinogenic truffles instead. They became known as the Truffle Brothers :D 

Not really sure why they were ok but the shrooms weren’t. 

were you aware of the glade festival?

was billed as an electronic music festival with stages across the various genres, though the main origin stage was psytrance. was traditionally held on the wasing estate near thatcham/greenham common.

anyway, was there in 2005, I think it was the 3 hottest consecutive days  ever recorded in this country at the time, the last day of the festival was sunday and the next day mushrooms became illegal.

all the stall holders who'd been openly trading exotic mushrooms all weekend had to get rid of their stock sharpish for fear of being arrested in the morning.... they were giving them all away.

very, very messy day.   :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jul/18/drugsandalcohol.markoliver

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20241011-100747.png.b604b8139d5518359389f7cf806d99b3.png

@Christmas Tree knock this one off the hobby list. 

:lol: You would think that would have the opposite effect and we would have a flat top!

Anyway as hobbies go, other than buying stuff I really dont need, I think I am about to give up on them. Metal detectors and fishing stuff coming to a market place near you very soon. :lol:  

• Haha 2

What’s on the sell list then? 

Metectors

Fishing Rods? 
Paddleboards? 

Why not fashion them in to some kind weather shelter for this year’s outdoor sofa, and get a few more months of al fresco self abuse? 

Something like this…

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.aa39d97a5c2deba1ae9cbcea3acb4381.jpeg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

What’s on the sell list then? 

Metectors

Fishing Rods? 
Paddleboards? 

Why not fashion them in to some kind weather shelter for this year’s outdoor sofa, and get a few more months of al fresco self abuse? 

Something like this…

IMG_3500.thumb.jpeg.aa39d97a5c2deba1ae9cbcea3acb4381.jpeg

:lol: Forgot about the paddle boards and Kayak, but no, they’re keepers.

The roger black exercise bike and rebounder (not mine) are also going the journey.

Need the conservatory back for mug storage :lol: 

And this years sofa has already departed.

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

Need the conservatory back for mug storage :lol: 

And this years sofa has already departed.

The second part explains the first :lol:

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? 

#Makes you think!

Can equally be described as small red car drivers and Audi drivers.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

I wish. Only ever manage 6 hours :( 

I take it the other relative has now moved in :lol: 

one of the most annoying things about middle age. I used to be able to sleep for England. 

Conversely, I never used to nap during the day either but can’t get enough of an afternoon snooze in front of the sofa these days   

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

one of the most annoying things about middle age. I used to be able to sleep for England. 

Conversely, I never used to nap during the day either but can’t get enough of an afternoon snooze in front of the sofa these days   

In front of the sofa? 

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

10 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

In front of the sofa? 

Gloomy right now....

sleeping-dog-2.jpg

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s the night time pissing that fucks me off. Cant last 6 hours without two trips.

• Haha 3