General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

1 minute ago, Renton said:

I got 19/20 right on an online vocabulary test yesterday, which was a shame because 20/20 puts you in the top 1%. I didn't know what "obloquy" meant. Your posts should be consigned to obloquy. 

…life goes on…

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I do 60% in the office. Which everybody is supposed to be doing, with certain dispensations. But, as far as I can tell, hardly anybody does. Not my problem, I don’t actually manage anyone. I probably prefer going in but the balance is good. I know I am lucky in that respect. Inevitably lots of people take the piss. Which I think they get away with because the people managing them are doing the same. There’s 100 desks dedicated to our department at my place. There’s about 3-4 times that based there. Even allowing for part-time workers, sick leave, holidays, etc. you can see there shouldn’t be enough desks. But I book one absolutely no problem and it’s ‘busy’ if it’s about 80% full. To be honest I think covid and recruiting people to work remotely has caused chaos in central government with teams dispersed all over the shop. I’m the only person in my area based up here. I’m not really sure how you fix it now either. Ironically we seemed to work better (albeit in a different, covid specific role) when everyone in my old team worked remotely. What I’ve noticed is even people in the same teams come in but don’t book desks together so you don’t even have the ‘collaborative ways of working’ advantages. 
Sorry, I know that’s dull as fuck :lol: 

I just find it all very strange. Benton Park View used to packed. People would come in at half six and sit on their cars for a bit just to get a space 

I miss working as part of a small physical team, but fuck me could never imagine the daily commute again.

Got another job interview tomorrow which if successful will mean 2 days a week in Manchester with me having to pay travel and hotel bills out my own pocket which is of course totally shit. No doubt it will start off weekly, then fortnightly, then finally monthly, I hope. Wfh is in general a great thing I think in my industry, because the only places where there any prospects are NW or London, and I don't want to move there. There is no need to be physically in contact (although I personally prefer that on a reguylar basis). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I miss working as part of a small physical team, but fuck me could never imagine the daily commute again.

Got another job interview tomorrow which if successful will mean 2 days a week in Manchester with me having to pay travel and hotel bills out my own pocket which is of course totally shit. No doubt it will start off weekly, then fortnightly, then finally monthly, I hope. Wfh is in general a great thing I think in my industry, because the only places where there any prospects are NW or London, and I don't want to move there. There is no need to be physically in contact (although I personally prefer that on a reguylar basis). 

Why TF would they expect you to pay your own travel/hotel expenses?… 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Why TF would they expect you to pay your own travel/hotel expenses?… 

Because the job is advertised as hybrid working, which is location dependent (Manchester). I don't think the NHS will pay my commute, no matter how far. Should have the option to change contract to homeworking after the probation period. Anyway, I'm willing to do it despite it also being a huge pay cut, cos I'm on the wrong career ladder at the moment. I'm also probably over qualified so will probably be refused on that basis anyway. 

• Like 3

I spoke to a recruitment guy a couple of weeks ago.  He said that a lot of younger people want 100% WFH now in our industry.  Which I would struggle to teach someone software and the like without them being in the office.  We dont have WFH, unless under circumstances.  I wouldn't mind a day a week at home tbh, but I do prefer being in the office.  The only real time I would like WFH is the winter when my commute can be meh.  I cycle when I can all year or the bus.  In winter obvious issues are ice, I dont mind rain as long as it's not pissing down.  My brother works in the same industry and can do two days at home and he does because it helps with his childcare.  But he says its abused by a lot, but he has a similar attitude as Alex.  It's not his issue and he doesn't manage anyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Because the job is advertised as hybrid working, which is location dependent (Manchester). I don't think the NHS will pay my commute, no matter how far. Should have the option to change contract to homeworking after the probation period. Anyway, I'm willing to do it despite it also being a huge pay cut, cos I'm on the wrong career ladder at the moment. I'm also probably over qualified so will probably be refused on that basis anyway. 

Good luck with the job interview. Absolutely none of my business but taking a pay cut to move to a different career ladder seems like a mental decision at your age? 

Is your job going to cease to exist or something? Is this out of necessity? 

You're never gonna make it as a dancer BTW. Forget it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I watched a series on National Geographic called 'Defending Europe' It starts with Finland. I never knew that it was once part of Russia and then gained independence.  Very interesting watch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I watched a series on National Geographic called 'Defending Europe' It starts with Finland. I never knew that it was once part of Russia and then gained independence.  Very interesting watch.

Theh joined NATO soon after Russia went into Ukraine I think… along with Sweden for the same obvious reasons…

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye. And they (initially) fought against our side in WW2 for that reason (ie against the Soviets). Are you familiar with this fella btw? 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I spoke to a recruitment guy a couple of weeks ago.  He said that a lot of younger people want 100% WFH now in our industry.  Which I would struggle to teach someone software and the like without them being in the office.  We dont have WFH, unless under circumstances.  I wouldn't mind a day a week at home tbh, but I do prefer being in the office.  The only real time I would like WFH is the winter when my commute can be meh.  I cycle when I can all year or the bus.  In winter obvious issues are ice, I dont mind rain as long as it's not pissing down.  My brother works in the same industry and can do two days at home and he does because it helps with his childcare.  But he says its abused by a lot, but he has a similar attitude as Alex.  It's not his issue and he doesn't manage anyone.

I haven't worked in an office since lockdown started, not sure I could go back tbh.

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Good luck with the job interview. Absolutely none of my business but taking a pay cut to move to a different career ladder seems like a mental decision at your age? 

Is your job going to cease to exist or something? Is this out of necessity? 

You're never gonna make it as a dancer BTW. Forget it. 

No, its absolutely driven by choice. In fact, I am very likely to be promoted to a higher level here imminently, and there is a Newcastle office. But your work is half your life, there is no getting round that, so if you're unsatisfied or unhappy, its important to rectify that. I've tried over 3 years working in the commericial sector, and ateod, I can't really stomach the bullshit in the Pharma industry. There, I've said it. The ghost written manuscripts etc., lack of recognition, covering mistakes, constantly focussed on how much money we can make. It's just not me, believe it or not I want to work in public service despite less pay and worse conditions.  

It's not a different career ladder though (I know I said that), just a different "side" (think CPS vs. private barristers as an example). I have confidence I can achieve promotion to my present level within 2 years, and I will be adding on to my 20 years of NHS pension. Aim to retire in 10 years. 👍

Edited by Renton
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. And they (initially) fought against our side in WW2 for that reason (ie against the Soviets). Are you familiar with this fella btw? 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

Aye, I was telling a lad at work about the documentary and he told me about him, so watched a couple of bits about him. Interesting stuff.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

No, its absolutely driven by choice. In fact, I am very likely to be promoted to a higher level here imminently, and there is a Newcastle office. But your work is half your life, there is no getting round that, so if you're unsatisfied or unhappy, its important to rectify that. I've tried over 3 years working in the commericial sector, and ateod, I can't really stomach the bullshit in the Pharma industry. There, I've said it. The ghost written manuscripts etc., lack of recognition, covering mistakes, constantly focussed on how much money we can make. It's just not me, believe it or not I want to work in public service despite less pay and worse conditions.  

It's not a different career ladder though (I know I said that), just a different "side" (think CPS vs. private barristers as an example). I have confidence I can achieve promotion to my present level within 2 years, and I will be adding on to my 20 years of NHS pension. Aim to retire in 10 years. 👍

As a man that has worked in financial services since 2007, I cannot relate to these principles, but I respect you for having them. :lol:

• Haha 7

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

As a man that has worked in financial services since 2007, I cannot relate to these principles, but I respect you for having them. :lol:

Likewise.

Having worked in financial services my entire career (I use the term career very loosely), while it may take up of half of my time, it certainly isn’t half my life. I have next to no emotional attachment to work aside from the visceral hatred of some of the arseholes I have to work with.

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 3

No restrictions on the number of unemployed translators the truck driver brings with them, though? That get-together at Peterborough Services is still on :boogie: 

• Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

No restrictions on the number of unemployed translators the truck driver brings with them, though? That get-together at Peterborough Services is still on :boogie: 

Don't forget the water proof mobile disco lights. :good:

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

“ You wash my Barse, and I’ll wash yours!”

Dr. Martin Luther King. 1896. To Emporer Hirohito. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

You can do better imo

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I am once more asking for a job where I can just work at home all day every day. Someone get me in, I’m not an idiot. I will

be answering no further questions 

Thats where I've landed.

Its honestly fucking brilliant.