General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

3 hours ago, Renton said:

This looks bad. 

The Mayor of Tampa went on TV and told all residents in areas advised to evacuate to either do so or don't expect to live. 

They're expecting it to be the worst storm experience in living memory.

• Sad 1

My sister in law is currently over there visiting elderly relatives. They're about as inland as it's possible to be in Florida, thankfully. Torn really, worried about her, but it's a relief that their aunt and uncle have some younger fitter people around to help board up the house and what have you.

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Watched that briefly and saw 2-3 dickheads taking selfies in the Key West panel (top right). Proper Darwin Award nominee shit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Watched that briefly and saw 2-3 dickheads taking selfies in the Key West panel (top right). Proper Darwin Award nominee shit.

There was a bloke with a bairn! Fucking idiots.

27 minutes ago, Renton said:

This has to be the best photograph taken re: Hurricane Milton.

image.png.2f0e284f18a9d9df3f773314d9b4800b.png

Thats almost exactly how Ive been picturing the new Flamingo Land at Loch Lomond if the plans ever get approved.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Blastronaut said:

Thats almost exactly how Ive been picturing the new Flamingo Land at Loch Lomond if the plans ever get approved.

Yeah, a bit random but it reminds me of a Hogmanay night I went to Edinburgh where a gaggle of pissed up lasses from Glasgie stormed the mens toilets (cos of the queues at theirs) all pissed as anything wearing bright flamingo pink clobber. They then proceeded to somehow squat piss in the urinals, quite impressive, although caused me a few days impotence. 

Damn now I'm thinking about it again. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, a bit random but it reminds me of a Hogmanay night I went to Edinburgh where a gaggle of pissed up lasses from Glasgie stormed the mens toilets (cos of the queues at theirs) all pissed as anything wearing bright flamingo pink clobber. They then proceeded to somehow squat piss in the urinals, quite impressive, although caused me a few days impotence. 

Prude

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

........They then proceeded to somehow squat piss in the urinals, quite impressive, although caused me a few days impotence. 

I get the feeling CT could 3d print you a hoover attachment to aid your "thinking".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

think I'll stop in today, bbc weather app for my area's showing wind speeds of 16,125mph.

only a bit breezy in nottingham apparently, but don't forget your sun cream if you're headed there...

Screenshot_20241010_073628_BBC Weather.jpg

Screenshot_20241010_075311_Samsung Internet.jpg

With your balance, I think that's wise. 

• Haha 3

Was up at 5ish his morning, checked the weather app before my trip to London, bleary eyed saw the Hurricane Force Wind warning and immediately messaged the boss to say I wouldn't be getting the train down.

She replied at 6ish saying not to worry and make sure I've expensed the tickets.

I've already got the money back from work for the tickets, and I've now had my refund request approved by Trainline.

So I'm now not travelling for 4hrs, for a solitary 1hr meeting, in London. And I'm £110 up on the day. All because at no point did either my boss or I  think that maybe 13,508mph winds are unlikely.

• Haha 4

In the post-covid, hybrid working era, an 8 hour round trip for a 1 hour meeting is about as silly as those wind speeds 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

In the post-covid, hybrid working era, an 8 hour round trip for a 1 hour meeting is about as silly as those wind speeds 

4hr round trip, but your point remains valid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fish said:

4hr round trip, but your point remains valid.

It’s ridiculous, isn’t it? I think some people insist on in person meetings because they think it shows how important they are 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

It’s ridiculous, isn’t it? I think sone people insist on in person meetings because they think it shows how important they are 

I'm convinced it's because she's been told she has to be in the office two days a week, so forces her direct reports to come to London for meetings. That way she fills her day with chit-chat, rather than actual work. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've never worked remotely so I must be a VIP? (It's all falling into place now). 

Vainglorious Insouciant Pettifogger? 

33 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've never worked remotely so I must be a VIP? (It's all falling into place now). 

I do 60% in the office. Which everybody is supposed to be doing, with certain dispensations. But, as far as I can tell, hardly anybody does. Not my problem, I don’t actually manage anyone. I probably prefer going in but the balance is good. I know I am lucky in that respect. Inevitably lots of people take the piss. Which I think they get away with because the people managing them are doing the same. There’s 100 desks dedicated to our department at my place. There’s about 3-4 times that based there. Even allowing for part-time workers, sick leave, holidays, etc. you can see there shouldn’t be enough desks. But I book one absolutely no problem and it’s ‘busy’ if it’s about 80% full. To be honest I think covid and recruiting people to work remotely has caused chaos in central government with teams dispersed all over the shop. I’m the only person in my area based up here. I’m not really sure how you fix it now either. Ironically we seemed to work better (albeit in a different, covid specific role) when everyone in my old team worked remotely. What I’ve noticed is even people in the same teams come in but don’t book desks together so you don’t even have the ‘collaborative ways of working’ advantages. 
Sorry, I know that’s dull as fuck :lol: 

I just find it all very strange. Benton Park View used to be packed. People would come in at half six and sit in their cars for a bit just to get a space 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Vainglorious Insouciant Pettifogger? 

I got 19/20 right on an online vocabulary test yesterday, which was a shame because 20/20 puts you in the top 1%. I didn't know what "obloquy" meant. Your posts should be consigned to obloquy. 

• Haha 7