General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Just now, Alex said:

Also, as with picture discs, the sound quality of coloured vinyl was always terrible. 

I actually don't have much idea what to do with these. I don't have a record player so can't check if they still play OK, so it would just be a case of selling them in a you get what you get basis, but not sure if I'm comfortable doing that. 

They'll probably just go nowhere if I need to give them some sort of rating. The sleeves are pristine mind, they look brand new cos they've just been in a document box for the last 30 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I actually don't have much idea what to do with these. I don't have a record player so can't check if they still play OK, so it would just be a case of selling them in a you get what you get basis, but not sure if I'm comfortable doing that. 

They'll probably just go nowhere if I need to give them some sort of rating. The sleeves are pristine mind, they look brand new cos they've just been in a document box for the last 30 years. 

Might be worth looking for a second hand record store that’s local. The Smiths stuff will always be collectible. That 586 Records in Gateshead is exclusively (or almost exclusively) vinyl and sells new and second hand. It’s mainly dance but he definitely does a little bit of indie / other stuff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Guarantee CT loved 'Lady in red' by Chris De Burgh.

Fucking hate that song, me and the Mrs. used to like CDB in his Spanish Train/Crusader album days, saw him a few times, excellent musician. Then he wrote that piece of shit and became dead to us.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If only you knew someone who has a record player, and a jukebox, who has a load of time on his hands (well will have in a few weeks when the weather is shit) because he's retired, who could give them a spin to rate them for you.

Edited by Toonpack

Just now, Toonpack said:

If only you knew someone who has a record player, and a jukebox, who has a load of time on his hands (well will have in a few weeks when the weather is shit) because he's retired, who could give them a spin to rate them or you.

Alreet Fonzy. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

Might be worth looking for a second hand record store that’s local. The Smiths stuff will always be collectible. That 586 Records in Gateshead is exclusively (or almost exclusively) vinyl and sells new and second hand. It’s mainly dance but he definitely does a little bit of indie / other stuff. 

Cheers I'll have a look at this. I was thinking the bloke will just rip us off but I don't actually care. If I price them all up on that discogs so I've got some idea if he's just totally taking the piss, after that he can bend me over and take liberties as he pleases. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Cheers I'll have a look at this. I was thinking the bloke will just rip us off but I don't actually care. If I price them all up on that discogs so I've got some idea if he's just totally taking the piss, after that he can bend me over and take liberties as he pleases. 

List what you have on here please, may be some I would like for the jukey, may not as well of course.

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I sort of know him as he used to DJ in the Tanners about 20 years ago when I was a regular when my mate lived round the corner from there. I don’t think he’s the type to rip people off. Genuine vinyl lover. He got a load of records from the relatives of a fella that passed away a while back. He took fucking ages sorting them and assessing the condition etc. I would definitely still use discogs as a guide price though (although sometimes on there people charge outrageous amounts for rare stuff). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Guarantee CT loved 'Lady in red' by Chris De Burgh.

What do you think, Johnathan Frakes?

frakes-jonathan-youre-right.gif

:lol:  One of my all time most hated songs as it happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I sort of know him as he used to DJ in the Tanners about 20 years ago when I was a regular when my mate lived round the corner from there. I don’t think he’s the type to rip people off. Genuine vinyl lover. He got a load of records from the relatives of a fella that passed away a while back. He took fucking ages sorting them and assessing the condition etc. I would definitely still use discogs as a guide price though (although sometimes on there people charge outrageous amounts for rare stuff). 

Discogs is a free for all in a way. Most are just chancing their arm. I’m sat on a fuckin fortune according to them; but if a dude such as you’re describing came round to value it I’d be lucky to get half what various things are being priced at on that fuckin robbers coven. Second hand prices have predictably rocketed for buyers but not for private sellers since lockdown 🫤

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:  One of my all time most hated songs as it happens.

Last song in a nightclub and the lass you had your eye on ended up dancing 'cheek to cheek' with some other cunt? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

“Scotty”… pal, mate, buddy…. Let’s talk 😀

13 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

List what you have on here please, may be some I would like for the jukey, may not as well of course.

7 inch:

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before / Pretty girls make graves

Panic / vicar in a tutu

William it was really nothing / please please please let me get what I want

The Boy with the thorn in his side / Asleep

Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me / Rusholme Ruffians

Heaven knows I'm miserable now /Suffer little children

Hand in Glove / Handsome Devil

Sheila Take A Bow / Is it really so strange

And something called The Smiths Help I need Somebody where the name of the band on the actual vinyl is The Patels. Uh oh Morrissey, early warning signs. 

12 inch:

I started something I couldn't finish /pretty girls make graves / some girls are bigger than others

White vinyl: Sheila take a bow / is it really so strange / sweet and tender hooligan 

Blue clear vinyl: There's a light that never goes out / the queen is dead

Orange clear vinyl: Some girls are bigger than others / frankly Mr shankly / the draize train 

Clear vinyl: Cemetery gates / golden lights

Still ill / reel around the fountain / please, please, please... 

Green tie dye looking vinyl: Shoplifters of the world unite / half a person / london

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

7 inch:

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before / Pretty girls make graves

Panic / vicar in a tutu

William it was really nothing / please please please let me get what I want

The Boy with the thorn in his side / Asleep

Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me / Rusholme Ruffians

Heaven knows I'm miserable now /Suffer little children

Hand in Glove / Handsome Devil

Sheila Take A Bow / Is it really so strange

And something called The Smiths Help I need Somebody where the name of the band on the actual vinyl is The Patels. Uh oh Morrissey, early warning signs. 

12 inch:

I started something I couldn't finish /pretty girls make graves / some girls are bigger than others

White vinyl: Sheila take a bow / is it really so strange / sweet and tender hooligan 

Blue clear vinyl: There's a light that never goes out / the queen is dead

Orange clear vinyl: Some girls are bigger than others / frankly Mr shankly / the draize train 

Clear vinyl: Cemetery gates / golden lights

Still ill / reel around the fountain / please, please, please... 

Green tie dye looking vinyl: Shoplifters of the world unite / half a person / london

Stand by dear friend, am on it…

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Anything not Smiths (apart from hits compilations) wouldn't want the jukey to spontaneously combust ? PL will bite though I reckon.

There's a numbered Beatles White Album there. Number 128,252. Complete with lyric sheet and pictures of the band. 

PXL_20240916_135943423_t54YW7ON49.thumb.jpeg.de58845f84c321b88529ace978735881.jpegPXL_20240916_140037576_PmjhkUGB1b.thumb.jpeg.53d25bf014b402604c1f10e810be6798.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There's a numbered Beatles White Album there. Number 128,252. Complete with lyric sheet and pictures of the band. 

PXL_20240916_135943423_t54YW7ON49.thumb.jpeg.de58845f84c321b88529ace978735881.jpegPXL_20240916_140037576_PmjhkUGB1b.thumb.jpeg.53d25bf014b402604c1f10e810be6798.jpeg

Yikes, that may be worth a pretty penny.

Edited by Toonpack

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Anything not Smiths (apart from hits compilations) wouldn't want the jukey to spontaneously combust ? PL will bite though I reckon.

Just the 7 inches are we talking about? 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Got a Cud picture disk here as well lads. :lol:

And a green vinyl Mega City Four 7 inch. 

This is the jewel in the crown though. 

PXL_20240916_135552396_5Y7ZOEHh0s.thumb.jpeg.a296ffc06d85346069e4f48d12d578c2.jpeg

PXL_20240916_135621368_Ptqb3K1Z4k.thumb.jpeg.2fc28fb80e4424d1b0ad9f403e947355.jpeg

We sang that "Just One Person" at middle school. Knowingly getting a bunch of already embarrassed tweenagers to sing about believing "hard enough and long enough" - being a teacher must be a lark sometimes. :lol: