General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

6 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Who eats a burger to be healthy? Lettuce tastes of nothing and just dilutes the flavour of the burger. This is a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Your national dish is cabbage, bitch. Don't talk to me about flavours. 

9 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Who eats a burger to be healthy? Lettuce tastes of nothing and just dilutes the flavour of the burger. This is a hill I'm prepared to die on.

Nah, that's when you got to McDonalds. A proper burger with a nice crisp lettuce and tomatoe

Italian Kid GIF by Gogglebox Australia

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

r/GreatBritishMemes - Sign me up…

You think we are bad for this, you should go to France. I have had curries there with less spice than my fucking bedroom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We've got friends whose kids basically live on beige food. Chicken dippers and chips mostly. If they come to ours, the kids either eat before they come, or they bring shit with them. If they go out somewhere, the kids basically only eat garlic bread. :lol:

Their mam says "you've got to pick your battles", but it's always struck me that just letting your kids eat pure garbage is probably conceding the wrong battle. 

We've got a grown up version of this as well. A lass who eats that shit at home, won't eat veg, and will only eat at restaurants if they do goujons or a chicken burger. And all the lettuce and tomato comes out of the burger the second the plate hits the table. This is someone of around 40. I mean just fuck off will you. 

Aye. You can’t force kids to eat everything. And having identical twins, they’re basically genetically the same and have been introduced to stuff at the exact same time and still have different tastes. But you can definitely introduce them to stuff and I think you need to realise that not liking something when kids try it doesn’t mean they won’t after they’ve tried it a few times. It’s worth it from a healthy pov but it’s also going to mean they get a lot more enjoyment out of food over the course of their lives. I’m not trying to make out we’re perfect parents or anything but food is one thing where you can pretty much control when it comes to kids. The worst thing for me is seeing really obese kids because I know genetics comes into it but it’s largely down to their parents/guardians. I think if you don’t do it when they’re young it must be hard to break those habits though. Loads of my kids’ mates seem to be really fucking picky eaters. Which is fine when they visit because you can just do pizza and chips or whatever. But it’s not really setting them up for a healthy adult diet if they’re eating that about 4 or 5 times a week 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

Fruit can do a lot of heavy lifting with kids.  Christ it is a pain though.  I understand why parents just fucking give up.  

I know a lad who lived on cheese and mash his entire childhood (which was a very complex one), turned out 6ft 2 and right as rain.  Don't underestimate the power of the apex omnivore to make do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

We've got friends whose kids basically live on beige food. Chicken dippers and chips mostly. If they come to ours, the kids either eat before they come, or they bring shit with them. If they go out somewhere, the kids basically only eat garlic bread. :lol:

Their mam says "you've got to pick your battles", but it's always struck me that just letting your kids eat pure garbage is probably conceding the wrong battle. 

We've got a grown up version of this as well. A lass who eats that shit at home, won't eat veg, and will only eat at restaurants if they do goujons or a chicken burger. And all the lettuce and tomato comes out of the burger the second the plate hits the table. This is someone of around 40. I mean just fuck off will you. 

Picking your battles is one thing, but you lose the war if you surrender every time.

My 5yr old has a broader palette than my sister and she's 44.

She visited and we went to a Piccolino for tea. She had a full garlic bread pizza to herself, but only half a carbonara. Why? Well because they put black pepper on it, so it was too spicy.

I'm convinced this is all because my mam gave us a small variety of meals, and boiled the shit out of every vegetable.

The elder (9) went through a fussy stage but is now back on track and eats a lot of variety now. He even loves a bit of hot spice. 

The little fucker (5) is now going through this fussy stage.  He said he hates cheese as well now apparently.  He gets a fair amount of beige food. He'd literally not eat anything if he doesn't fancy it. He is genuinely so stubborn he'd die from starvation rather than eat something he doesn't fancy.

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

The elder (9) went through a fussy stage but is now back on track and eats a lot of variety now. He even loves a bit of hot spice. 

The little fucker (5) is now going through this fussy stage.  He said he hates cheese as well now apparently.  He gets a fair amount of beige food. He'd literally not eat anything if he doesn't fancy it. He is genuinely so stubborn he'd die from starvation rather than eat something he doesn't fancy.

One thing we were told was that if he refuses to eat something, don't force him, but don't offer an alternative. Give them a while at the table while you eat whatever it is and if still didn't eat we'd just put it away and leave him hungry. Course that's not always a good idea, and it might not be the reason he's got better with his food, but it didn't hurt him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

One thing we were told was that if he refuses to eat something, don't force him, but don't offer an alternative. Give them a while at the table while you eat whatever it is and if still didn't eat we'd just put it away and leave him hungry. Course that's not always a good idea, and it might not be the reason he's got better with his food, but it didn't hurt him.

To make matters worse the elder has been a veggie for about a year now.  He really sticks to it and won’t even eat gelatine based sweets. Now the little one is adamant  to join him but as his palate is so bland we are just telling him “it’s vegetarian chicken son…” 

Ankle update for @thebrokendoll

Grade 1 tear and an avulsion fracture. 

Let's not anyone forget here that I was 1.5km into a run and I ran a further 4.5km on this ankle. 

TBD actually rode his dog home like it was Seabiscuit when he broke his collarbone. 

• Haha 3

On 12/08/2024 at 12:13, Renton said:

Mate, I may only be an unemployed hospital porter, but you could have well cracked or chipped a bone in your ankle or foot. 

I think SOMEONE owes Renton an apology.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Grade 1 tear and an avulsion fracture. 

Let's not anyone forget here that I was 1.5km into a run and I ran a further 4.5km on this ankle. 

TBD actually rode his dog home like it was Seabiscuit when he broke his collarbone. 

Not good, a revulsion fracture, even your bones hate you 😳

• Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Grade 1 tear and an avulsion fracture

or as it's called in the medical profession, a minor sprain.

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Fuck me, this HAS NOT gone down well at all :lol: 

Next time have an enormous shit in his chair and try to convince him he did it on the follow through. He’ll love that.

• Haha 4