General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

It’s a good point though. Even if you were able to trace it back to the people who first settled in different parts of Britain since the last ice age. How would people from what’s now Galloway have the same DNA as people who settled around the Moray Firth (for example)? Yet ‘Scottish’ is a designation? 

Edited by Alex

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s a good point though. Even if you were able to trace it back to the people who first settled in different parts of Britain since the last ice age. How would people from what’s now Galloway have the same DNA as people who settled around the Moray Firth (for example)? Yet ‘Scottish’ is a designation? 

They don’t, the terms I put down is a simplification, when your dna results are returned it shows where the centres of population in the designations are on a map.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

They don’t, the terms I put down is a simplification, when your dna results are returned it shows where the centres of population in the designations are on a map.

Ah, right. Makes sense, cheers

• Like 1

It's never been something that's ever remotely interested me, including this family tree stuff. I believe you're more of a product of your environment than your genetics. And you can control the former to an extent, or at least change its course, you can't change your genetics. You can't take pride in your genetic history.  I also think its a wedge to make us appear different, when 99.9% of our DNA, and nearer 100% of the important functional stuff, is the same amongst all human beings.

Who is more Scottish, me, you, Paddock lad, or Hamza Yousaf? My mum, is 100% scottish/irish and 100% racist. She says Hamza Yousaf should never wear a kilt. She'd use genetic arguments to back up her viewpoint. Obviously I'm not accusing that of anyone on here, but its why I question the need for this exercise. 

1 minute ago, Renton said:

It's never been something that's ever remotely interested me, including this family tree stuff. I believe you're more of a product of your environment than your genetics. And you can control the former to an extent, or at least change its course, you can't change your genetics. You can't take pride in your genetic history.  I also think its a wedge to make us appear different, when 99.9% of our DNA, and nearer 100% of the important functional stuff, is the same amongst all human beings.

Who is more Scottish, me, you, Paddock lad, or Hamza Yousaf? My mum, is 100% scottish/irish and 100% racist. She says Hamza Yousaf should never wear a kilt. She'd use genetic arguments to back up her viewpoint. Obviously I'm not accusing that of anyone on here, but its why I question the need for this exercise. 

My interest is more historical, there is a new theory based on archaeological evidence that the idea of a saxon invasion is a myth and that it was more of a gradual migration due to the population of Britain dropping dramatically after the Romans left. I wanted to see if I was from a Saxon background. Turns out I’m not and it backs up my support of the theory.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

My interest is more historical, there is a new theory based on archaeological evidence that the idea of a saxon invasion is a myth and that it was more of a gradual migration due to the population of Britain dropping dramatically after the Romans left. I wanted to see if I was from a Saxon background. Turns out I’m not and it backs up my support of the theory.

Yeah, sorry for the mini-rant, fair enough. I know you're into your history, its a decent interest to have. As long as you don't start doing back room eugeneics experiments. ;)

And, looking at CT's 80s bonce, we have to face the horryifying prospect he's got celtic genes. :unsure:

• Haha 5

I did mine just out of curiosity - I pretty much know my Mam's side is all North East!/South Tyneside going back a good 250 years and I also knew on my Dad's side there was an injection of Irishness with my great, great grandparents coming over together after the famine. 

• Like 1

My wife is bang into the ancestry/DNA stuff. The first time she did the DNA stuff it came back 100% British and Irish which was a huge blow to her as she was hoping to be from a line of Spanish Princesses or related to Cleopatra or something? :lol:

It's come on quite a bit since and it looks she's mainly Northumbrian and Scottish genes with little percentages scattered elsewhere.

• Like 1

"My God, this simian DNA, it crops up everywhere in people aged 38 years and downwards. Huge concentrations in Newcastle, particularly areas of acute socio-economic deprivation, with a focal point on Longbenton, although we have also detected traces of it on the curtains of posh houses in Gosforth and Forest Hall. An outbreak of it in Sunderland. Isolated pockets of it in the Lake District, upland Scotland, and North Wales. We have detected it Annecy and Charmonix in France, and across at Zermat and the Dolomite regions. The male recipients seem to go bald at the age of 22. What on Earth is going on?"

Sexy Ford GIF

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 7

My brother and I did the ancestry thing a few years ago, which turned up some interesting little points- both of our parent’s grandparents lived within 100yds of each other for a while, and very likely knew each other, years before or parents were even a twinkling in their dads eyes. 
What makes it more unexpected is that my mother’s grandparents were both Cockneys, from Peckham and Tottenham. :lol:

Also, my father’s maternal grandmother came from the same tiny North Welsh village that my mother’s maternal great x3 grandparents lived in. 

Whilst there’s a generation or two between them, it’s also likely that their families were known to each other. 

6 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

What makes it more unexpected is that my mother’s grandparents were both Cockneys, from Peckham and Tottenham. :lol:

Img_2024_08_20_12_31_57.thumb.jpeg.92f3d5d7d40c3bf47c1eac5baeea5b04.jpeg

"Wotcher bruvva!" 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

My brother and I did the ancestry thing a few years ago, which turned up some interesting little points- both of our parent’s grandparents lived within 100yds of each other for a while, and very likely knew each other, years before or parents were even a twinkling in their dads eyes. 

I found out that my Mam was born about 5 months after my grandparents were married. My dad was the youngest of five but I found his eldest brother was also born about 5 months after his parents were married so shotgun weddings on both sides. Both lasted though before usual working class early deaths - I only knew my Mam's Mam. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Also, my father’s maternal grandmother came from the same tiny North Welsh village that my mother’s maternal great x3 grandparents lived in. 

Whilst there’s a generation or two between them, it’s also likely that their families were known to each other. 

Everyone in the world is a product of cousins mating at some point, especially if you’re a royal.

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Is @Howay still around? hasn't told me to fuck off in a while 

He sent everyone a PM explaining his absence, Ibrahim- didn’t you get it? IMG_1976.gif.fa0cda73a31be029d7a47f94c9ebbb80.gif

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Why the fuck as you get older you start growing hair from fucking places you don't want it?

Don't tell me, this is the first line in your new stand up routine?  

I've only developed a hairy chest in my 50s ffs, and only now it's spreading to my belly. MY FUCKING BELLY. FUCK YOU GOD. 

This is not to mention the hair that is sprouting out of (nearly*) every orifice. 

late late show fist shake GIF

* If it starts growing on my bellend I am going postal. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 5