General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

A mate is having an issue at work with a lad.  He is working for him and he's just not getting his information on time so he has sufficient time to do his part.  This has been going on for a while.  A couple of months ago I told him to go for a coffee with the lad and just explain his frustration's try and work it out.  He gets on well with him, its just frustrating him.  He did and said it went well, apparently fuck all changed.  It got to a point where he spoke to management and they apparently agreed to the frustrations as they had similar.  Fuck all changed.  Yesterday they were told they were gonna win a big job, woop, champagne, bum slapping etc.  

My mate gets pulled into the gaffers office.  He's told that he is going to be running the job as the client has specifically asked for this other lad not to be anywhere near it. :lol: Then, the main gaffer says 'Oh I didn't want him on  project either because I just can't rely on him'

So a lad in your business has raised a grievance about someone and you pretty much have the same issues.  But by the sounds of it, you do fuck all.

Then, you are awarded a job but ony if this same wanker isn't anywhere near it.

At what point do you think 'Hmmmm I need to do something here' :lol: 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

A mate is having an issue at work with a lad.  He is working for him and he's just not getting his information on time so he has sufficient time to do his part.  This has been going on for a while.  A couple of months ago I told him to go for a coffee with the lad and just explain his frustration's try and work it out.  He gets on well with him, its just frustrating him.  He did and said it went well, apparently fuck all changed.  It got to a point where he spoke to management and they apparently agreed to the frustrations as they had similar.  Fuck all changed.  Yesterday they were told they were gonna win a big job, woop, champagne, bum slapping etc.  

My mate gets pulled into the gaffers office.  He's told that he is going to be running the job as the client has specifically asked for this other lad not to be anywhere near it. :lol: Then, the main gaffer says 'Oh I didn't want him on  project either because I just can't rely on him'

So a lad in your business has raised a grievance about someone and you pretty much have the same issues.  But by the sounds of it, you do fuck all.

It's not your concern, don't worry about it. :lol: (unless it's directly impacting you?)

• Thanks 1

Oh I am far from worried, I just thought I would share.  My mate seems to find it amusing too which I am glad at.  He's got a great opportunity now to run a top job, get it done and basically push for promotion. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've a mate in a similar position, except the problem person reports into him. He wants shot of the bloke, other team members want shot of him, but the word from on high is that it'd be too much of a cost to fire him. Nothing the bloke has done is gross misconduct or negligence, he's just good enough to not get fired.

My mate is trying to get him a move sideways to another department, let him be their problem. Either that or promote him, put this bloke in a position to get himself fired.

• Like 1

I don't know what industry you work in Fish, but Consultant engineering is NOT the place for people managers :lol: 

There are processes to go though to improve people or put them on warnings etc and its very rarely done as the engineers in management are just not trained to do it.  My wfie works in finance and she's had the training for this and it does run better.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I've a mate in a similar position, except the problem person reports into him. He wants shot of the bloke, other team members want shot of him, but the word from on high is that it'd be too much of a cost to fire him. Nothing the bloke has done is gross misconduct or negligence, he's just good enough to not get fired.

My mate is trying to get him a move sideways to another department, let him be their problem. Either that or promote him, put this bloke in a position to get himself fired.

When I was at the Tyne brewery there was a bloke who'd been there for thirty odd years called 'new kid' as he always got shunted from department to department, shift to shift. :lol: (canny bloke but treated doing anything like he was Ronnie Corbett doing his solo sketch in the big black chair). 

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't know what industry you work in Fish, but Consultant engineering is NOT the place for people managers :lol: 

There are processes to go though to improve people or put them on warnings etc and its very rarely done as the engineers in management are just not trained to do it.  My wfie works in finance and she's had the training for this and it does run better.

I work for a telecoms company, but the lad I'm talking about works in energy. There are Personal Improvement Plans, and endless HR conversations apparently. The bloke might be useless, and a bit of a petty politician, but like I said, he's delivering just enough to avoid all that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

A mate is having an issue at work with a lad. 

I can't be the only one that sees a post like this started by wykiki and thinks.....

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

I can't be the only one that sees a post like this started by wykiki and thinks.....

I think he mistakenly posted his gossip based grievance to a Newcastle forum rather than a Teams Chat.

These things always used to happen around the water dispenser. I blame Covid.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 6

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I think he mistakenly posted his gossip based grievance to a Newcastle forum rather than a Teams Chat

Yeah, well, you should have seen what happened at my work when I mistakenly put a post intended for here into my work team chat. :(

That reminds me, does anyone know any good employment solicitors? 

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think he mistakenly posted his gossip based grievance to a Newcastle forum rather than a Teams Chat.

These things always used to happen around the water dispenser. I blame Covid.

You mean the tap?

YANK boy

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

You mean the tap?

YANK boy

I was going to use the old ‘Water Cooler’ but then I thought I’d open it up to the posher officers. I used to have hot, cold or sparkling on tap. It would reduce gossip time because of no kettle boiling. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nah I'm thinking;

The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

Anyone use Chrome as their mobile  browser? When you open a new box you get random news articles to click on?… this popped up on mine. This lies a couple of miles from where I was brought up. Local apocryphal local legend has it that at some point in history the Scott clan were laying siege to the Kerr’s within. A paige was sent in with some demands and the Kerrs were so hungry that they ate him :) 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/gallery/spooky-abandoned-scottish-castle-near-33429334.amp

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

A paige was sent in with some demands and the Kerrs were so hungry that they ate him :) 

According to the Daily Record article, they had a “proper sit-down meal” :lol:

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Anyone use Chrome as their mobile  browser? When you open a new box you get random news articles to click on?… this popped up on mine. This lies a couple of miles from where I was brought up. Local apocryphal local legend has it that at some point in history the Scott clan were laying siege to the Kerr’s within. A paige was sent in with some demands and the Kerrs were so hungry that they ate him :) 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/scotland-now/gallery/spooky-abandoned-scottish-castle-near-33429334.amp

mrs-browns-boys.gif.22afd7623a164d90d9839c1e5c32777d.gif

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I thought this was interesting.....

Where were you? 

Where were you?

Where were you in 1377?

Where were you in 1377?

I'll leave this one to @Toonpack :) 

• Haha 1

The absolute comedy gold the MLFs churn out on a regular basis yet it's been a while since I've seen a post by @Howay with plenty of :lol:s scattered around. Hope he's/you're alright, mate? :unsure:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I thought this was interesting.....

Where were you? 

Where were you?

Where were you in 1377?

Where were you in 1377?

Sure Newcastle became a "top 5" city in later medieval times. Working in the centre twice a week and trying to stay fit I do go for some quite long wanders though the city. The beautiful hidden architecture is everywhere. Far better than most large industrial cities like Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool, just by virtue we are older. We're more a poor man's Edinburgh. 

Sunderland in comparison is just an industrial town, peaking late 19th early 20th century, with almost no notable architecture at all. This isn't having a go, it 's just a statement of fact. If you look at any of their videos about how great e.g. Keel square is, it's like, erm...., naah, hardly a destination location. Why they feel the need to compete with Newcastle (outside of football), with stupid incorrect statements like "Sunderland is the largest English city North of Leeds", is an odd one. I don't see Bolton competing with Manchester or St Helens with Liverpool. Instead of competing and failing, it would be better for them and the whole region if they worked to complement the rest of Tyneside and Wearside. Reading the SMB it will never happen though. They are ridiculously insular. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sure Newcastle became a "top 5" city in later medieval times. Working in the centre twice a week and trying to stay fit I do go for some quite long wanders though the city. The beautiful hidden architecture is everywhere. Far better than most large industrial cities like Leeds, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool, just by virtue we are older. We're more a poor man's Edinburgh. 

Sunderland in comparison is just an industrial town, peaking late 19th early 20th century, with almost no notable architecture at all. This isn't having a go, it 's just a statement of fact. If you look at any of their videos about how great e.g. Keel square is, it's like, erm...., naah, hardly a destination location. Why they feel the need to compete with Newcastle (outside of football), with stupid incorrect statements like "Sunderland is the largest English city North of Leeds", is an odd one. I don't see Bolton competing with Manchester or St Helens with Liverpool. Instead of competing and failing, it would be better for them and the whole region if they worked to complement the rest of Tyneside and Wearside. Reading the SMB it will never happen though. They are ridiculously insular. 

You've forgotten about how beautiful parts of County Durham are, and how grimy parts of Newcastle are. Therefore your reasoned argument is wrong.

• Haha 1

I’ll see if I can find a link to it but there’s a German made map from about 1630 of Britain and Ireland. As well as Newcastle and Durham it features places like Hartlepool, Hexham and even Keswick, Appleby and Ambleside. Yet despite their famously fighting against Newcastle in the imminent English Civil War, there doesn’t seem to be any sign of Sunderland. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2