General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

A lad I work with is from Boro. We were talking about this the other day. He joined the Navy when he first left school to see some of the world and get a trade and planned to get a job in one of the plants when he finished. When he finished they were all shutting down and no fucking jobs. 

Not to want to sound like Norman Tebbit here but what did he do? There are other opportunities available, whether that be moving location to use his trade (presumably not a problem if he has been footloose in the navy) or using some saved brass to get some extra qualifications. Unfortunately no industry is permanent and nowadays you have to be somewhat flexible. I know a couple of lads from the navy who have trained their way to great jobs, better than me, the twats. 

Just now, Renton said:

Not to want to sound like Norman Tebbit here but what did he do? There are other opportunities available, whether that be moving location to use his trade (presumably not a problem if he has been footloose in the navy) or using some saved brass to get some extra qualifications. Unfortunately no industry is permanent and nowadays you have to be somewhat flexible. I know a couple of lads from the navy who have trained their way to great jobs, better than me, the twats. 

Oh he moved.  He realised if he wanted to progress and use some of the skills her learned in the Navy he had to move.  Thankfully for him the Navy gave him a skillset and taught him to look after himself.  It was the fact he had to move away from his family again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Oh he moved.  He realised if he wanted to progress and use some of the skills her learned in the Navy he had to move.  Thankfully for him the Navy gave him a skillset and taught him to look after himself.  It was the fact he had to move away from his family again.

Sympathise with that. Nearly all my industry is based in London and the home counties. If I had been wiling to move at a young age I would have a different career now I'm sure. But I wasn't. Fortunately home working is removing a lot of these barriers now anyway (if you have  a desk based job obviously). 

• Like 1

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1820117092592402589.html

How reliable are crime stats in general in this country?… I’ve often thought they were bollocks tbh, especially national ones. They’re not giving you a picture in a particular area. They were used by the tories to cut police numbers by 20k. Apart from that there’s a lot in here that rings true :cuppa: 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1820117092592402589.html

How reliable are crime stats in general in this country?… I’ve often thought they were bollocks tbh, especially national ones. They’re not giving you a picture in a particular area. They were used by the tories to cut police numbers by 20k. Apart from that there’s a lot in here that rings true :cuppa: 

Good article. Violent crime actually has been decreasing in nearly all western societies for decades. Lots of theories about this, from the removal of lead from petrol to technological devices removing boredom. This is a generational observation which could be reversing, I don't know. I remember in the 1980s it was almost inevitable if you wentoout on a Saturday night you would witness some pretty gruesome violence. Burlgaries and car theft have also gone down hugely, as electronic devices from houses are worth less and cars are much harder to steal. Do you remember what these crimes were like in the 90s? 

Some crimes have gone up hugely though. Fraud. Recently, shoplifitng. And as you point out, the spread of crime is not even. Some of those communities in Boro I would be frightened to even walk through in daylight. Ironically for me though, I always feel safe in Asian communities. The root causes of the situation to me seem to be:

• Genuine concern with the cost of living crisis and a loss of work opportunities in mainly industrial northern towns and cities.
  • A lack of education and abitility to think critically in the inhabitants of these left behind places. 
  • Rise of demagogues expoliting the above. These have always been there, but...
  • Widespread use of social media to promote lies, conspiracy theories, and right wing rhetoric. Coupled with a lack of trust in MSM and politicians. 

For me, probably the most key of these is the lack of people to be able to understand and appraise information. I would immediately make this a mandatory requirement in schools. We won't get the benefit from that for 20 years though. Christ knows what society will be like by then. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Good article. Violent crime actually has been decreasing in nearly all western societies for decades. Lots of theories about this, from the removal of lead from petrol to technological devices removing boredom. This is a generational observation which could be reversing, I don't know. I remember in the 1980s it was almost inevitable if you wentoout on a Saturday night you would witness some pretty gruesome violence. Burlgaries and car theft have also gone down hugely, as electronic devices from houses are worth less and cars are much harder to steal. Do you remember what these crimes were like in the 90s? 

Some crimes have gone up hugely though. Fraud. Recently, shoplifitng. And as you point out, the spread of crime is not even. Some of those communities in Boro I would be frightened to even walk through in daylight. Ironically for me though, I always feel safe in Asian communities. The root causes of the situation to me seem to be:

• Genuine concern with the cost of living crisis and a loss of work opportunities in mainly industrial northern towns and cities.
  • A lack of education and abitility to think critically in the inhabitants of these left behind places. 
  • Rise of demagogues expoliting the above. These have always been there, but...
  • Widespread use of social media to promote lies, conspiracy theories, and right wing rhetoric. Coupled with a lack of trust in MSM and politicians. 

For me, probably the most key of these is the lack of people to be able to understand and appraise information. I would immediately make this a mandatory requirement in schools. We won't get the benefit from that for 20 years though. Christ knows what society will be like by then. 

Critical thinking needs to be pushed in schools indeed, and some sort of civics course so that people understand the country they live in as a political entity, so they can understand what they're voting for. People need to have things like immigration explained to them while they're a captive audience, and not before the right has managed to get their tendrils into them. They can still choose to disagree with it after that of course, but at least they'd be doing so based on factual realities, and not hysteria.

• Like 4

1. Surprised at the level of violence unleashed in the riots he’s chiefly responsible for instigating. 

2. He hasn’t called for an immediate stop to them, he’s called for a chinwag

IMG_5332.jpeg

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

1. Surprised at the level of violence unleashed in the riots he’s chiefly responsible for instigating. 

IMG_5332.jpeg

There was a debate after the Southport killings and the arsehole didn't show up, preferring to post video on twitter "just asking legitimate questions" about whether information about the identity of the killer was being withheld from the public. 

He's got some fucking neck on him. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

IMG_5332.jpeg

Ahhh, two-tier policing, the latest buzzword from the the facists. 

95% of immigration is legal. Therefore, how can it be uncontrolled? 

I can see a way around this. Maybe if we had a pooled Labour market with our European peers, we could allow young people to move throughout the continent to fill labour gaps where it is needed? This would happen organically according to market forces, and we all know the right wingers love the market, right? (Except Liz Truss). People of a similar culture could do seasonable jobs in agriculuture or hospitality, or even the shit factory jobs no British person want to do like food processing? Or provide social care for our elderly or medical care for the NHS? And then, they could freely move back once the job isn't needed any more or they have made enough money. And this could be reciprocal, giving the chance for our own kids to experience another European country? And we could have regulatory alignment and abolish all tariff and non-tariff barriers for goods while we are at it. Everybody would be a winner. Maybe we could call this the single market or something? 

Maybe I should propose this to Nigel to see what he thinks? Or maybe this cunt should just fuck off once and for all. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

Self skewered him to his face years ago. Thing is Farage is smart enough to know not to react to what he’s saying, just laugh along . I’d never underestimate the man in what he’s capable of…. 

• Like 1

Priti Patel is so far the only one of the Tory candidates who has picked Farage up on his bullshit letter that he's posted. She actually seems to give a fuck about what's going on, unlike the rest of them. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Critical thinking needs to be pushed in schools indeed, and some sort of civics course so that people understand the country they live in as a political entity, so they can understand what they're voting for. People need to have things like immigration explained to them while they're a captive audience, and not before the right has managed to get their tendrils into them. They can still choose to disagree with it after that of course, but at least they'd be doing so based on factual realities, and not hysteria.

I agree. I’d also add that a lot of the people involved in the bother are probably apathetic to the extent that they didn’t even bother voting reform. This is borne out of ignorance, in the true sense of the word. And it’s in large part because of the gap in schooling you mention. Simply loads of people are clueless about what political groups even stand for. Let alone checking our actual policies. This also leads to apathy being unevenly weighed towards younger people. Which suits a right wing establishment. It also leaves open a space for dangerous populist rhetoric. Which the Owen Jones brigade has been guilty of lately, as well as the usual suspects on the right. Both grifting off the ‘they’re all the same’ bollocks 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Priti Patel is so far the only one of the Tory candidates who has picked Farage up on his bullshit letter that he's posted. She actually seems to give a fuck about what's going on, unlike the rest of them. 

8AB429F4-61F4-4832-B5A6-8CB687515A0E.gif

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, strawb said:

That’s just off parliament road, used to be class butty shop there. Ran by Italian immigrants but none of them jobless smooth brains would know anything about the real boro. 

We had a massive docks, steel working and shipping industry which brought in goods and people from across the world, like my ancestors. It’s a real fucking shame to see a town that I know has decent people in it being dragged down by knuckle draggers. Honestly hit me harder than I thought this. 

Some hope

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Ahhh, two-tier policing, the latest buzzword from the the facists. 

95% of immigration is legal. Therefore, how can it be uncontrolled? 

I can see a way around this. Maybe if we had a pooled Labour market with our European peers, we could allow young people to move throughout the continent to fill labour gaps where it is needed? This would happen organically according to market forces, and we all know the right wingers love the market, right? (Except Liz Truss). People of a similar culture could do seasonable jobs in agriculuture or hospitality, or even the shit factory jobs no British person want to do like food processing? Or provide social care for our elderly or medical care for the NHS? And then, they could freely move back once the job isn't needed any more or they have made enough money. And this could be reciprocal, giving the chance for our own kids to experience another European country? And we could have regulatory alignment and abolish all tariff and non-tariff barriers for goods while we are at it. Everybody would be a winner. Maybe we could call this the single market or something? 

Maybe I should propose this to Nigel to see what he thinks? Or maybe this cunt should just fuck off once and for all. 

I agree with every single word of this, and I really hate to be that guy again, but I wish Starmer would put this argument. We all know it's true, and his chances of being successful without making it shrink horribly

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240805-133349.thumb.png.6b3105b5f8501ad4ac946c2f807c8f1c.png

:lol:

At his frustration that his fellow Tommy Robinson fans have turned out to be idiots, and at "Christianity is Islam's top competitor". 

• Haha 6

Love the bracketed content. When it says remanded, is that them spending the next month in jail til Sep 2? Or will they be out on bail? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1