General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

On 10/07/2024 at 12:51, Renton said:

So this is interesting. I'm going through another period of alcoholism. Don't no why. Drank the house dry. Now got the worst withdrawals ever. I am such a shit. This is hell in Earth. Hope I make it through. 

Guess I can't drink after all. Sorry for all the people I have hurt. Going to quit, again. 

far from a regular on this side of the board so miss most of what's going on.

be strong mate, sure you'll work it out.

• Like 2

rats.....

I keep seeing one in the garden, emerges from under the shed, also some old decking and off under a hedge to another shed.

probably highly unlikely there's just the one little fucker but by the same token I don't think I'm quite in need of the pied piper just yet.

anyway, seems the best starting point is making the environment less habitable for them, ie tidying the garden uo, it had been neglected for several years. I'm getting there but it's gonna be very expensive and time consuming.

as a quick fix I'm loathe to use poison, I don't want to endanger birds, my dog or next doors 2 cats. so I'm looking at buying an air rifle, probably 2nd hand.

longshot I know but any of you fine gentlemen had a similar problem and got any recommendations of what make of gun is a good one as well as affordable? 

:)

Edited by thebrokendoll

23 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

rats.....

I keep seeing one in the garden, emerges from under the shed, also some old decking and off under a hedge to another shed.

probably highly unlikely there's just the one little fucker but by the same token I don't think I'm quite in need of the pied piper just yet.

anyway, seems the best starting point is making the environment less habitable for them, ie tidying the garden uo, it had been neglected for several years. I'm getting there but it's gonna be very expensive and time consuming.

as a quick fix I'm loathe to use poison, I don't want to endanger birds, my dog or next doors 2 cats. so I'm looking at buying an air rifle, probably 2nd hand.

longshot I know but any of you fine gentlemen had a similar problem and got any recommendations of what make of gun is a good one as well as affordable? 

For evey rat you see there's 10 you don't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

For evey rat you see there's 10 you don't.

aye, I'd imagine so.

I started clearing a huge pile of fallen willow branches which had been dumped on the periphery of the garden. found a rats nest in there with 5 babies abou 2 inches long, I bashed the little fuckers with a spade, was hoping that might sorted the problem, but it appears they've moved under the shed instead.  :(

You can get humane traps for them. Get one of them, catch it, and drive it to the edge of town First Blood style and tell it to keep walking or the next trap won't be quite so humane. 

• Haha 5

Instead of tidying your garden, why not toss waste into a neighbours? Then it's their problem.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

rats.....

have you not got foxes around your way to keep them at bay? london is infested with them (foxes, not rats). i don't know what's worse tbh as the foxes shit all over our garden

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Instead of tidying your garden, why not toss waste into a neighbours? Then it's their problem.

that's not a bad shout in fairness. my knackered sheds and decking are probably providing them a home, their fucking enormous crab apple tree which overhangs my fence is undoubtedly supplying them plenty to eat.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

have you not got foxes around your way to keep them at bay? london is infested with them (foxes, not rats). i don't know what's worse tbh as the foxes shit all over our garden

not seen any foxes.

a couple of years ago we went to see a house advertised as on the edge of the brecons, turns out it was actually on the edge of newport. anyway, afterwards I put some petrol in the car at the morrison's petrol station I was fucking gobsmacked at how many rats were just strolling about the forecourt in between the pumps etc in broad daylight, must've been at least a dozen. they didn't give a ahit about humans and nor did it appear that the other people using the petrol station give a shit about the rats. can only assume they were regulars there and used to them. I was fucking horrified me!

nowt like that in me garden as yet and hopefully never will be, I'm quite in to the idea of getting a gun and turning in to a sniper.   :)

4 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

not seen any foxes.

a couple of years ago we went to see a house advertised as on the edge of the brecons, turns out it was actually on the edge of newport. anyway, afterwards I put some petrol in the car at the morrison's petrol station I was fucking gobsmacked at how many rats were just strolling about the forecourt in between the pumps etc in broad daylight, must've been at least a dozen. they didn't give a ahit about humans and nor did it appear that the other people using the petrol station give a shit about the rats. can only assume they were regulars there and used to them. I was fucking horrified me!

nowt like that in me garden as yet and hopefully never will be, I'm quite in to the idea of getting a gun and turning in to a sniper.   :)

Sneaking Elmer Fudd GIF by Looney Tunes

🙂 

• Haha 2

You couldn't walk your dog without breaking your collarbone. You absolutely do not need a firearm. This has got "local man loses sight in one eye" written all over it. 

• Haha 4

Well, update. About 48 hours alcohol free. No cravings, just self loathing regret and fear. Plus physical symptoms of withdrawal, hopefully worst has already passed. 

Irony of my situation is I dont usually have anything stronger than beer in the house, and then not much. But won a couple of bottles of spirits at a Guides raffle of all things, which triggered my decent into insanity. 

I would go to the GP for help, acromposte or naltrexolone, but don't want to trigger the interest of social services again. Maybe I can buy some on private care. Going on holiday abroad will be hard without these drugs. What a mess I've made of things. 

• Sad 4

6 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

not seen any foxes.

Did that at last house, make sure you get ok from your neighbours before you blast away, if a pellet ricochets onto their property, that’s an offence without their OK.  

Also if getting a scope get gun zeroed in at whatever range you think you’ll need (there’s probably a local air gun club, with a rig, you can do that at as you need the gun anchored in position to adjust the sights) oh, and practice 😉

• Thanks 1

@The Fish thought you'd be interested, the Kirribilli club where we had drinks while enjoying the sun and views of the harbour, after 80 odd years, went into receivership last month.

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Did that at last house, make sure you get ok from your neighbours before you blast away, if a pellet ricochets onto their property, that’s an offence without their OK.  

Also if getting a scope get gun zeroed in at whatever range you think you’ll need (there’s probably a local air gun club, with a rig, you can do that at as you need the gun anchored in position to adjust the sights) oh, and practice 😉

how much did you pay for a gun?

I had one when I was a kid, webley I think, been looking at second hand ones from gun shops, frightening prices! 

would appear ebay, gumtree etc don't allow the sale of them so not sure where'd you pick up a second hand one privately without a shops mark up?

2 minutes ago, sammynb said:

@The Fish thought you'd be interested, the Kirribilli club where we had drinks while enjoying the sun and views of the harbour, after 80 odd years, went into receivership last month.

This is what happens when I stop going to places. I am a one man revenue stream.

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well, update. About 48 hours alcohol free. No cravings, just self loathing regret and fear. Plus physical symptoms of withdrawal, hopefully worst has already passed. 

Irony of my situation is I dont usually have anything stronger than beer in the house, and then not much. But won a couple of bottles of spirits at a Guides raffle of all things, which triggered my decent into insanity. 

I would go to the GP for help, acromposte or naltrexolone, but don't want to trigger the interest of social services again. Maybe I can buy some on private care. Going on holiday abroad will be hard without these drugs. What a mess I've made of things. 

Are you going away with the family still? 

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

I had one when I was a kid, webley I think, been looking at second hand ones from gun shops, frightening prices! 

would appear ebay, gumtree etc don't allow the sale of them so not sure where'd you pick up a second hand one privately without a shops mark up?

can’t honestly recall, couple of hundred I think, it’s a one shot at a time lever job not one of the air canister ones (crazy money) bought it at the gun-shop in town, walking back through town/on the metro with it over my shoulder got some looks 😂 (in it’s case obvs)

Not at home just now so can’t check make etc. Will have look when back (Sunday) also can let you know the pellets shop recommended and I used.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

not seen any foxes.

a .22 air rifle would do the trick, put a bowl of dog fod in the middle of the garden at dusk and then shot the fuckers. I hate rats.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Are you going away with the family still? 

Hopefully. Supposed to be Keswick start of next week. I feel utterly exhausted though. 

• Like 4

Just now, Renton said:

Hopefully. Supposed to be Keswick start of next week. I feel utterly exhausted though. 

Holiday will do you good, especially there where you can get out in nature. I'm there back end of August for a week. 

53 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

A quick google near me and they seem to start from £75

https://sunderlandairguns.com/collections/spring-powered-air-rifles?filter.v.price.gte=&filter.v.price.lte=&sort_by=price-ascending

• Thanks 1