General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

5 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Motorists and cyclists are both cunts with some exceptions. I loathe driving 80% of the time. 

ronnie pickering is sound as fuck man 

image.thumb.png.f4cf6895181e5541a2626c6ab2e8199c.png

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sorry but :lol:

I don't disagree with anything you've written here, each circumstance is different. I thik 90% of cyclists are sound and if they're riding side by side without being deliberatelt obstructive, that's okay. 90% of motorists are also sound imo, but as there are more than 10 times as many motorists, that's more than 10 times the number of wankers. 

:lol: 

High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

• Haha 1

Round our way we've got that brilliant combination of Loads of entitled cyclist and Loads of entitled SUVs. Driving a country road on a Sunday morning just isn't worth the nerve shattering terror.

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

Round our way we've got that brilliant combination of Loads of entitled cyclist and Loads of entitled SUVs. Driving a country road on a Sunday morning just isn't worth the nerve shattering terror.

Remember when Sunday mornings were for hangovers and recovery sex? 

Neither can I :lol:

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Remember when Sunday mornings were for hangovers and recovery sex? 

Neither can I :lol:

Lionel Ritchie was behind the New World Order's agenda for Sunday mornings.

Screenshot_20180506-154102.jpg

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

As a man that doesn’t drive or ride a bike, I’ve found that the key to successful public transport usage is to have such a resting angry face that nobody will even dare sit near you. 

If you find that strains your facial muscles you could try body odour, it works for mackems.

17 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

If you find that strains your facial muscles you could try body odour, it works for mackems.

We'll look at that, a sentence including mackems and work that makes sense.

17 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Yes we will! 

Fucking autocorrect.

Bet it changes this to he will instead of Hades - he'll

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

A heads up here, if anyone was wondering what happened to the quiff. He's on a video that's gone viral.

https://twitter.com/THINGEO/status/1675611977769467905?s=20

Urghh, you'll have tofollow the link instead, fuck you Musk. 

No way Quiff has a younger sibling. 

After he was born his dad had the snip and his mam had the full clearout. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I know this has been done before but I fucking love this book so much. Essentially a collection of short stories, which never even explicitly state who the narrator is (most are first person). Like a jig saw, you need to put the pieces together which introduces a Universe of characters so vivid you feel like you're part of it, especially if you know Edinburgh, a plot arc which is more than the sum of its parts. Takes at least two reads but well worth it. Best thing was though I could just pick up the book, read a chapter at random, and still laugh at Spud, cringe at Begibie, or cry at Tommy's cruel decent. 

Like many a classic music band, Welsh produced his masterpiece early on and whilst he also wrote many other worthy novels, none hit these heights again, and eventually he delved in self parody. But I'll always fondly remember Trainspotting - the book, the film, and the stage play. Renton literally became a part of me. ;)

Cheers Irvine. 

• Like 5

Think I’ve probably read it every two/three years since 93… the last time I did a chunk was driving home alone on NYE last year after the Leeds game via audiobook. There’s so much in it that isn’t in the film so if you haven’t read it I’d recommend it to anyone. There’s one particular part where a character who’s not in the film stages the scene of a murder to get revenge on another character . It is the most dramatic piece of prose I’ve ever read, I was fuckin bricking it turning over the page :lol: Trust me, it’s that good :D 

• Like 3

I haven't read it for a while, deliberately, as I don't want to overdo it. Not reading anything new at the minute so when I'm finished my current book I'll get back on it. :good:

46 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Think I’ve probably read it every two/three years since 93… the last time I did a chunk was driving home alone on NYE last year after the Leeds game via audiobook. There’s so much in it that isn’t in the film so if you haven’t read it I’d recommend it to anyone. There’s one particular part where a character who’s not in the film stages the scene of a murder to get revenge on another character . It is the most dramatic piece of prose I’ve ever read, I was fuckin bricking it turning over the page :lol: Trust me, it’s that good :D 

Davie, Matty, Second Prize, Alison, Kelly, all removed or amalgamated in the film. Which was necessary, but the book is so much richer. Welsh's description of alcoholism via Second Prize is astonishingly accurate imo, not touched in the films. 

The other thing about the book is just the shear volume of memorable quotes and philosophy, communicated usually directly or indirectly through Renton, but also characters like Sick Boy and Begbie. And the internal monologues, with Sickboy "thinking" like Sean Connery, Spud seeing everyone as a cat. Or the way Renton's thoughts in the book so closely match his drug status - whether high, in acute withdrawal, stable, or in shock/pissed (e.g. Billy's funeral). And of course the superb use of phonetic language. Barry. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2

I have a mate, he's just over 10 years older than me.  He doesn't have a mortgage and no wife / kids etc.  Lives a frugal life.  He works in the same industry as me (it's how we met).

Anyways, he left the company we met after being made redundant about 9 years ago.  Since then he has jumped about a few companies.  I think his longest stint at a company is two years and that's because he was worried about the industry during Covid.  He left that company last April and has since not worked in the industry.  Fine, he's sensible with his cash, has savings etc.    He's been looking for a job in the industry since April.  We shall return to that soon.  About 3 months ago he started doing some coach driving (He's got all his licenses from when he was in the forces) to keep him busy and get back in a routine.

Back to his job search back into my industry.  He had 3 offers.  One he accepted.  On the Sunday, the day before he was due to start he emailed them saying he wouldn't be starting.  The reason 'Something didn't feel right'  Fine.  One he declined, didn't want to travel into the centre every day.  But he knew that when sending his CV and accepting an interview.  Another one, he declined as 'The work there looked boring'

He seems to be enjoying the driving work.  It's flexible, some weeks he does 3 days, some 4 and it's not long hours.  He looks genuinely content.  We went out last week for a ride and a coffee.  We cycle to this cafe and sit down, he said to me 'Are you treating me?  I am only on £12.50 an hour now' with a grin on his face.  I laughed and said I would get the coffee and cake.  He's a good mate, drives a lot when we go places, so that doesn't bother me.  I ask him how work is.  He told me he was enjoying the driving but the wage wasn't great, but he had an interview lined up but it was in York.  He didn't sound excited one bit.  I laughed and said everything isn't about brass and if he can get by on his driving wage doing 3/4 days surely thats better than a bigger days working longer hours and travelling to York every day.

He's just messaged me.  Saying he had an offer from the job, his words 'the offer went into my spam, should have stayed there. £45k!'

I am due to go away with him for a few days on the bike and I just know I will have him talking about his poor wage yet he's turned down decent job offers.  People say youngsters are entitled now, but fuck me.  This lad.  What's he expecting?  There's thousands would rip hands off for even half that wage he's been offered and the conditions.  It's annoyed me some what.  Which won't be a surprise to many :lol:  I can just see our rides out etc getting less as he's put himself in the situation and tbh I am not going to keep getting the coffee etc if he's turning graft down!