General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Had a couple of Jehovah's witnesses come knocking on Friday afternoon, fine whatever. But they had a little 10/11yr old girl with them. Can you imagine being dragged round by your mam during half term, knocking on doors and getting, at best, rejected every time?

Edited by The Fish

I've had Jehovah's witness at my door on many occasions and one with a young lad who must have been about 7 at the time.

I was polite with the man and the lad. I even took their booklet and promised to read it, which I did.

I was visited regularly for a while until I explained my stance on religion (agnostic) and basically said that I have no issues with whatever they follow and no issues with any religion that causes no harm to others, overall.

I also had two Mormon girls at the door not too long ago. They were from Bulgaria (I think they said) and were about late teen to earl 20's, at  a guess.

Really nice and pleasant girls.

They tried their best to spread their word but I told them my stance and also that I actually did know a little bit about the Mormons, having knew some people that were part of it many years ago who are now, inactive.

We had a good old natter before I finished by wishing them all the best and them being of the understanding that they were flogging a dead horse.

It's nice to be nice and as long as people are pleasant in dealing with you, I don't see any reason to mock them for their belief's.

It would be a different story if they came to my door and started berating me for taking the agnostic view whilst trying to tell me that their view is the one.

From this point it gives rise to a fair argument or a see you later and close the door moment.

Edited by wolfy

Only had Jehovah's Witnesses visit me a couple of times, but they were no trouble. Mormons on the other hand can be really pushy, and I genuinely think they prey on the weak willed who can't tell them no. That's why you end up with so many foreign students from polite cultures joining them.

Whenever there's a discussion on this, I always think fondly of the Black Books episode where Bernard is trying to pass the time without Manny and invites a couple of them in :D

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I just say I'm a Jew when confronted by door knocking bible bashers. Usually does the trick.

:lol:

I tend to say I'm Catholic and they scowl at me. Apparently in some denominations, Catholicism isn't considered to be a Christian faith.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I just say I'm a Jew when confronted by door knocking bible bashers. Usually does the trick.

I told them I'm an atheist and she asked "Aren't you worried about the way the world is going?" in response.

Didn't really follow her logical leap, so I just Toried my way out of it "Nah, my life's all right thanks." :blush:

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I told them I'm an atheist and she asked "Aren't you worried about the way the world is going?" in response.

Didn't really follow her logical leap, so I just Toried my way out of it "Nah, my life's all right thanks." :blush:

I would've asked what god was doing about it

Just now, Alex said:

I would've asked what god was doing about it

Probably why you're paid more than me :good:

38 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Only had Jehovah's Witnesses visit me a couple of times, but they were no trouble. Mormons on the other hand can be really pushy, and I genuinely think they prey on the weak willed who can't tell them no. That's why you end up with so many foreign students from polite cultures joining them.

Whenever there's a discussion on this, I always think fondly of the Black Books episode where Bernard is trying to pass the time without Manny and invites a couple of them in :D

I agree with  you on this because I've seen this first hand on many occasions.

They basically cold call people and then certain one's appear to have the knack of manipulating the one's they can clearly see are at a low ebb for whatever reasons.

On the other hand it can actually help people as well, so there's two sides to this, whether the morals are right or wrong is open for debate, but some people actually find a new reason to go on when otherwise they would have sunk into despair with nobody around to offer any pick me up.

I can see the good the bad and the ugly in all of those religious ways but it does boil down to the varying degrees of need in which a person finds themselves at.

Generally a happy go lucky person would thank those people for their efforts and kindly tell them that they are not for change. Then there's the obvious people who already follow a religion who will steadfastly refute what's said and refuse to be polite about it.

I've seen people go from despair to extremely happy when taken advantage of by Mormons.

I've seen them have missionaries over once  a week and feed them.

They also pay 10% of their income to the church which might seem like a scam to many, yet I've also seen the same church pay off people's debts and bring them food in their time of need; seriously.

This doesn't make everything they do morally right to others but then again we have to look at all religion and ask ourselves what is morally right or wrong about those, because each and every one appears to have flaws as well as the good.

I had a JW at my door last week.  He gave me a copy of Watchtower which talked about the four horsemen and how what has happened in the world since the first world war was all tied in to them because that was the time in which Jesus expelled the devil from heaven and he's been plaguing the earth since.  It then had bit which it claimed confirmed the bible was true because someone mentioned in it was proven to have existed.  The leap they made in that was astonishing and I wonder what kind of mind would believe that shit.

They're a strange bunch the JW's, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but they have been popping up in random places with bookstands full of copies of Watchtower, hoping to catch people off guard. It was earlier this year I was walking through the underpass at Heworth metro around 5pm and they were standing at the other entrance with their magazines  in the pitch black :icon_lol:  I found it creepy and laughable at the same time. 

I've seen them recently at Benton and Palmersville Metro stations in the morning handing them out. Always really frumpy lasses in their 30s or 40s.

There is occasionally a gorgeous blonde handing them out outside Piccadilly station in Manchester, I've been tempted to have a chat with her every time I see her. She is a lunatic though so I've not bothered

Another bloke comes to the door to try to get me to change my power company.

I said, "look mate this happens all too regular and to be honest it's just a game of pass the parcel with these so called private power companies."

He said " I know what you mean but we can offer you this and it stays put for 2 years with absolutely no hidden agendas."

Anyway, I thought I'd put this bloke to the test to see how he'd react, so I said " what kind of meter will I get and how will it work out, because I don't want a new meter in only to find out that it's more expensive to basically rent it before paying charges for gas and electric on top."

He said " nah nah, you don't need to worry about that because nothing changes in your house, we just take over the buying of the energy and sell it to you cheaper and we sort out all your other stuff with your existing company, so it's effortless."

Obviously I knew all this from previous but I decided to ask him where I can get a new meter from and how would I be able to send the meter back that's already in my house, because I'd rather own my own and buy my own energy direct from the supplier to cut out the middleman."

He told me that I can't do that because it's classed as criminal damage if I tamper with the meters.

I said that I would go through the right channels to have them removed and also through the right channels to have my own bought one's in and installed professionally by registered installers.

From then on I can go and do a deal for the gas I use at the raw price and basically not charge myself for any meter rental and can set my own meter to the raw pricing before any of the so called private companies take their large cuts of the profits and thus, saving myself a fortune.

By this time the bloke was trying to tell me that it's against the law and would land me in a heap of trouble. I told him to go away and think about what I said. He said " aye, ok mate...anyway see yeah later."

He went with a flustered face and a bewildered look.

Now then, was I being arrogant? Was I entitled to ask? Does what I say make sense to anyone?

Dipping your head down that rabbit hole a little bit can basically bring up a lot of issues that require questioning and answering legitimately.

These power companies are in absolute abundance. Take a look at how many of them are in this country. (England)

More and more keep popping up as supposed independent companies selling us cheaper or better overall deals.

How does this actually work?

It's like loan companies just springing up and finding better and better ways to give you the mindset that you are getting a great deal, until you end up being worse off over time, until the merry-go-round  does one revolution. And off we go again.

So why can't we all just be the owners of our own energy supplies?

Has anyone ever thought about this?

33 minutes ago, wolfy said:

I said, "look mate this happens all too regular and to be honest it's just a game of pass the parcel with these so called private power companies."

He said " I know what you mean but we can offer you this and it stays put for 2 years with absolutely no hidden agendas."

Anyway, I thought I'd put this bloke to the test to see how he'd react, so I said " what kind of meter will I get and how will it work out, because I don't want a new meter in only to find out that it's more expensive to basically rent it before paying charges for gas and electric on top."

He said " nah nah, you don't need to worry about that because nothing changes in your house, we just take over the buying of the energy and sell it to you cheaper and we sort out all your other stuff with your existing company, so it's effortless."

Obviously I knew all this from previous but I decided to ask him where I can get a new meter from and how would I be able to send the meter back that's already in my house, because I'd rather own my own and buy my own energy direct from the supplier to cut out the middleman."

He told me that I can't do that because it's classed as criminal damage if I tamper with the meters.

I said that I would go through the right channels to have them removed and also through the right channels to have my own bought one's in and installed professionally by registered installers.

From then on I can go and do a deal for the gas I use at the raw price and basically not charge myself for any meter rental and can set my own meter to the raw pricing before any of the so called private companies take their large cuts of the profits and thus, saving myself a fortune.

By this time the bloke was trying to tell me that it's against the law and would land me in a heap of trouble. I told him to go away and think about what I said. He said " aye, ok mate...anyway see yeah later."

Now then, was I being arrogant? Was I entitled to ask? Does what I say make sense to anyone?

Dipping your head down that rabbit hole a little bit can basically bring up a lot of issues that require questioning and answering legitimately.

These power companies are in absolute abundance. Take a look at how many of them are in this country. (England)

More and more keep popping up as supposed independent companies selling us cheaper or better overall deals.

It's like loan companies just springing up and finding better and better ways to give you the mindset that you are getting a great deal, until you end up being worse off over time, until the merry-go-round  does one revolution. And off we go again.

You can be if you go solar. You can even sell the energy back to the grid. Requires some initial investment but supposedly has itself paid for within 15 years or so.

1 hour ago, wolfy said:

There's a good chance this salesman is on a salesmen's forum right now talking about this fruit loop he met who was planning on sourcing his gas direct from the north sea.

33 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You can be if you go solar. You can even sell the energy back to the grid. Requires some initial investment but supposedly has itself paid for within 15 years or so.

Yeah, apparently you can but you still pay for the basic rental of your meter. You know, the quarterly charge or the monthly charge with some.

What I'm saying is, who owns the meters in your home?

If the government have privatised the energy industry then the meters are obviously not theirs.

This means that any energy company charging you from your energy, are using a meter in your home that they're basically staking claim to as if it was theirs.

Yet, if you decide to change companies, that company takes charge of your meter(s), apparently...yet obviously do not seem to own them. So who does and if anyone does, why can't the home owner give notice of removal and replace with their own and buy direct like the supposed private firms do?

See what I mean?

Just now, wolfy said:

Yeah, apparently you can but you still pay for the basic rental of your meter. You know, the quarterly charge or the monthly charge with some.

What I'm saying is, who owns the meters in your home?

If the government have privatised the energy industry then the meters are obviously not theirs.

This means that any energy company charging you from your energy, are using a meter in your home that they're basically staking claim to as if it was theirs.

Yet, if you decide to change companies, that company takes charge of your meter(s), apparently...yet obviously do not seem to own them. So who does and if anyone does, why can't the home owner give notice of removal and replace with their own and buy direct like the supposed private firms do?

See what I mean?

Vote Labour and the government get them all back again under renationalisation ;)

13 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

There's a good chance this salesman is on a salesmen's forum right now talking about this fruit loop he met who was planning on sourcing his gas direct from the north sea.

Maybe this salesman is pondering what's been said and wondering why people can't just do what the supposed private companies are doing.