General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

When we bought the place the wife was loving the fact that it was a fixer upper so we could do it all to our tastes. Honestly, who gives a fuck? Next time we move, I'll happily avoid living in a building site for six months and take the hit that the kitchen doors are gloss instead of matte. I'd much rather just move somewhere that was already done up

You can always add a boiling water tap at some point in the future anyway.

Starting groundworks in November man!

Upstairs is done in my gaff, new boiler going in today and I can start on the kitchen. Front room will be done by the end of the week, once I fit the new French doors and brick up the old one I can do the dining room and I'm all done.

Never want to see a floor joist/board/sander again mind

We're looking to buy next year and because we know a few tradesmen we're looking at a fixer-upper/project.

Looking at Holmfirth (where they filmed  Last of the Summer Wine apparently) and there's some cracking houses in our budget. She's more keen on new-builds than I am. My reservations are mostly that some new builds can be quite pokey and flimsy, they also don't readily lend themselves to extension or personalisation.

An older house may come with problems, but if we buy to improve, we should be able to address those issues straight away and once the property is finished, we'll have an incredible "forever home", in a really nice area with good primary and secondary schools, 1hr from Manchester/Leeds/Sheffield.

:good:

We're looking to buy next year and because we know a few tradesmen we're looking at a fixer-upper/project.

Looking at Holmfirth (where they filmed  Last of the Summer Wine apparently) and there's some cracking houses in our budget. She's more keen on new-builds than I am. My reservations are mostly that some new builds can be quite pokey and flimsy, they also don't readily lend themselves to extension or personalisation.

An older house may come with problems, but if we buy to improve, we should be able to address those issues straight away and once the property is finished, we'll have an incredible "forever home", in a really nice area with good primary and secondary schools, 1hr from Manchester/Leeds/Sheffield.

:good:

Can you not get one a bit further away from Leeds?

Can you not get one a bit further away from Leeds?

I could, but all you do is moan, mope and bitch so I think you need real misery and torment in your life to make you appreciate what you had.

We just got the plans drawn for a fuck off extension and I'm not looking forward to it.

Can't imagine starting it in the middle of November either mind, could it not wait till Spring?

We've been here since Feb! (But point taken).

HMHM, you're building your own extension? Wtf, that is extreme DIY. Mind, this is coming from someone who has difficulty changing light bulbs (those GU10 spotlights are tricky bastards).

No, the two quotes we had were too much so getting friends/family to do jobs that can save a few quid here and there. Any odd bit I can help with labouring I will. I.e. knocking the outside garage* down, help barrowing founds out.

*was a bit of a handy man and garage was huge, old lathes and a filled in pit inside which was full of water and reinforced concrete and very awkward to get at. Yesterday I was by myself and told by ex builder and wor lasses step dad to straighten off ditch and knock out concrete but by then the 1.5 ton digger was gone, no mates just me, the flooded trench, a spade and a big hammer, a few hours then a quick break then my proper job. This has been a bit of a nightmare move, I've just woken up and am dreading what I'm going to get up to hear so am posting this instead while I wake up properly! :lol:

Fucking hell. Fish talking about a forever home in the Yorkshire dales.

This place has ran it's course, time to wrap it up lads, it's all over.

What's your beef, chief? I would have thought you'd be well in favour of the area? Less chance of seagulls than on the coast, surely?

What's your beef, chief? I would have thought you'd be well in favour of the area? Less chance of seagulls than on the coast, surely?

No beef from me. Just reflecting how in the 15 years or so of people posting on here how everything has changed and grown up. You seem to epitomise that. It's a bit of an odd forum I think because the initial cohort hasn't changed that much since its inception, with the exception of "young" (still 30 iirc) Rayvin, there's been no new blood to dilute the relentless tide to middle age.

Anyway, good luck, quite a change that like from London to the dales.

No beef from me. Just reflecting how in the 15 years or so of people posting on here how everything has changed and grown up. You seem to epitomise that. It's a bit of an odd forum I think because the initial cohort hasn't changed that much since its inception, with the exception of "young" (still 30 iirc) Rayvin, there's been no new blood to dilute the relentless tide to middle age.

Anyway, good luck, quite a change that like from London to the dales.

Ah, I see.

Yeah I've changed a bit, but I've always been flighty and contradictory. :D

One thing I've learnt is to try and keep my proselytising to subjects I've a fucking clue about. US and UK politics are best left to those in the know and CT.... and Parky.

Oh and check your inbox

It's a bit of an odd forum I think because the initial cohort hasn't changed that much since its inception, 

Do Craig, Peasepud, Scottish Mag, Manc Mag, Papa Lazaru, Smooth Operator and his mate know Leazes got banned.  With Alex and Jimbo making relatively recent returns there could be an old school resurgence,

He was probably in for a prostate check up. We gave him free beer and invited him into a music studio after hours for a chilled party with some cool guys :)  He thought he was in a back alley across from his flat on the Byker wall, got his cock out and pissed all over the office corridor in front of a CCTV camera. Absolute tramp.