General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

You can't officially watch Skygo abroad but there's probably some way round it. No idea re: internet connection but I would guess it'll be fine.

S'pose a vpn or just kodi then. It's so short notice this. I've got a new phone and a relatively new laptop so absolutely fuck all entertainment sorted, on top of the need to pack a suitcase and whatnot. It's so overwhelming I'm still laid in bed browsing Toontastic.

No regrets that she got to spend your cash now you're divorced?

Nah none at all. And the point is more that, at the time, you're supposed to be "all in" with that person, not transferring cash to one another to settle up bills and stuff.

S'pose a vpn or just kodi then. It's so short notice this. I've got a new phone and a relatively new laptop so absolutely fuck all entertainment sorted, on top of the need to pack a suitcase and whatnot. It's so overwhelming I'm still laid in bed browsing Toontastic.

:lol:

When our lasses brother was getting married a couple of years ago he asked our lass to do some finance stuff for him.

She asked what his wife's salary was. He didnt know, been living with her for 6 years and didnt know.

Odd?

When our lasses brother was getting married a couple of years ago he asked our lass to do some finance stuff for him.

She asked what his wife's salary was. He didnt know, been living with her for 6 years and didnt know.

Odd?

Unless there's a huge disparity that one side is keeping from the other, I'm not sure why it matters?

If he was a paper boy and she was earning 6 figures but splitting the Nandos bill with him, that's both usual for Yorkshire and wrong.

Joint debit account for bills, mortgage etc, joint credit card for food etc. individual accounts retained for personal outgoings. I don't expect her to pay for my nights out on the piss, ditto me paying for her online shopping habit.

This is how i think about it too.

Who pays off the credit card for food?

This, if you've got separate bank accounts it suggests to me you're not fully committed which I think is bizarre if you have kids together. Use a credit card for presents etc.

:lol: Having kids together and buying a house but because you don't have everything in a joint account your commitment is under question?

I take your point but am not sure the suggestion is that. I am not decided yet anyway so appreciate the point of view.

I find the idea of getting the government involved in your most intimate relationship for stranger than having separate bank accounts.

Nah none at all. And the point is more that, at the time, you're supposed to be "all in" with that person, not transferring cash to one another to settle up bills and stuff.

Zen master! I'd be livid if some Doris was spending beyond what she earned because of my income and then divorced me. Not that that is the issue here but hats off to the attitude.

What are you worried about though? Do you not trust her not to spend all your money? I don't mean that in an arsey or prying way btw. Just intrigued as to your opposition to it.

I would hate to be in a situation where I was going "I'll get this you got the last one" with someone I was married to. You pool the money then you both get it and it gets rid of all that shite.

:lol: Having kids together and buying a house but because you don't have everything in a joint account your commitment is under question?

I take your point but am not sure the suggestion is that. I am not decided yet anyway so appreciate the point of view.

We'll you asked, imo if you're fully committed it makes sense to share everything. Reckon most married couples do.....

I would hate to be in a situation where I was going "I'll get this you got the last one" with someone I was married to. You pool the money then you both get it and it gets rid of all that shite.

That's the thing, it isn't like that. If we go out I'll pay or she'll pay, no one keeps count.

Though I DEFINITELY end up paying more often.

What are you worried about though? Do you not trust her not to spend all your money? I don't mean that in an arsey or prying way btw. Just intrigued as to your opposition to it.

Splitting up in the future. Its horrible to say it but its a consideration. She has wealth, i have capital and my income is 3 times higher. Her wealth means she wont need to worry about anything whether we are together or not. My background is very modest, so if we split, i would prefer to be able to build my own capital by retaining my extra income and putting it into assets in my name.

Its not easy as stuff like that gets you cold shoulders and a frosty handjob at best.

I find it odd to have kids together and not share everything, but I'm defo not judging.

We have a few different accounts, some we both have access to, some not, but we ultimately share everything. No kids, not officially married.

Basically everything I don't manage to spend goes on fucking horses. :jesuswept:

We'll you asked, imo if you're fully committed it makes sense to share everything. Reckon most married couples do.....

It's about a third of couples who do.

And the notion that you aren't committed if you have your own bank account is laughable.

I find it odd to have kids together and not share everything, but I'm defo not judging.

We have a few different accounts, some we both have access to, some not, but we ultimately share everything. No kids, not officially married.

Basically everything I don't manage to spend goes on fucking horses. :jesuswept:

That's quite an admission

Unless there's a huge disparity that one side is keeping from the other, I'm not sure why it matters?

If he was a paper boy and she was earning 6 figures but splitting the Nandos bill with him, that's both usual for Yorkshire and wrong.

I just find it odd that a women he has lived with for 6 years and is going to marry and he didnt know her salary, even roughly!

It's paid for from a standing order from the joint account. We use an m&s credit card for all joint expenses when out and about - meals out, weekly shop etc - for the rewards

surely that arrangement would affect your spending habits? i would feel guilty about spending money on silly stuff, which i'm prone to do from time to time, if everything came out of a joint account. i probably wouldn't have bought the hover board on a whim, for example, and what a fucking tragedy that would have been.

sharing collective outgoings but retaining license to spend money earned on the odd indulgent or extravagant item is healthy thing - not a sign of a lack of trust or commitment in a relationship.

dying to hear where CT stands on this. i can't imagine his Mrs would be loving it if the purchases for his latest hobbies, which become obsolete in a matter of weeks, are all slung on a shared account.

edit - just seen CT's post. i figured as much.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Zen master! I'd be livid if some Doris was spending beyond what she earned because of my income and then divorced me. Not that that is the issue here but hats off to the attitude.

Tbf your situation sounds slightly different, but money spent in the past isn't worth worrying about. I'd certainly feel different if she was looking for a piece of my future earnings or anything like that.