General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

All depends on your financial circumstances. If you love it, can get a discount to cover the work, then it's not a problem.

Depends more on his motivation than the financials I reckon. Even if you can get the discount, if you can't be arsed, you're not going to get around to any of it...

The surveyor has refused to value the property I am looking to buy. This is a very rare event, I am told. The two things stopping her are structural - movement in the newish conservatory and an unsupported chimney. There are shitloads of issues beyond this, rot, infestation, an outbuilding needs demolishing/replacing, etc etc. Of the 24 categories to consider 13 of them (that's more than half Fish) are marked as requiring urgent work. I really like this house but I'm quite lazy. Do I push for considerable discounts or just walk away? The last time I bought a house it was relatively straightforward. Any advice welcomed.

Eminent conveyancing secretary Mrs PL says don't touch it with a shitty bargepole, even with CT attached to the end of it. Very unlikely to get anyone to lend you anything if the surveyor wont sign it off....save your money and move on...

Unsupported chimneys are not usually a massive deal. It's usually downstairs where a chimney breast has been removed. Could be as little as a 1k to 2k to sort.

Get a list of "urgent issues", find a recommended builder (ideally from friends) and talk it through.

This will give you a ball park on cost and length of job which should assist in your decision.

You really have to be up for a massive renovation. Youre unlikley to be able to live there, it goes on for longer than you expect and theres always unexpected extra work that the surveyor cant see from a visual inspection. Unless youre really passionate about the house Id steer clear

Before you listen to CTs advice on major building work, bear in mind this is the bloke who struggles to finish his back garden off

:lol:

I'm the only one giving sensible advice.

He loves the house therefore an estimate of cost and time will make his decision easier.

If a discount covers the cost and the timescales acceptable then it's all good.

And a garden is never finished, it evolves.

:lol:

I'm the only one giving sensible advice.

He loves the house therefore an estimate of cost and time will make his decision easier.

If a discount covers the cost and the timescales acceptable then it's all good.

And a garden is never finished, it evolves.

Have you ever done a major renovation CT? I've done 2 and I can tell you theres more to it than getting estimates and agreeing a discount.

You have to do a large amount of work before you even start on the project - do you need planning permission, surveyor, architect assistance etc. Do you pay for a project manager, can you trust your builder, who is contractor, who is sub contracting. Theres all your tradesmen, suppliers etc to deal with both demolition, clearance and re building. You need to think about the legal stuff upfront and insurances and do due diligence on the guys doing the work.

Youre dependent on everything going smoothly but it never does. Theres the bank to keep happy, your family gets fed up living in rented, tradesmen let you down. It can be quite draining. And thats assuming that you dont discover major problems like subsidence, poor original construction work, weather damage etc. All delays in the logistics and supply chain cost you money.

Honestly theres a lot to consider. Fair enough if you really love a house but its something you need to go into eyes open if it needs a lot of work.

Have you ever done a major renovation CT? I've done 2 and I can tell you theres more to it than getting estimates and agreeing a discount.

You have to do a large amount of work before you even start on the project - do you need planning permission, surveyor, architect assistance etc. Do you pay for a project manager, can you trust your builder, who is contractor, who is sub contracting. Theres all your tradesmen, suppliers etc to deal with both demolition, clearance and re building. You need to think about the legal stuff upfront and insurances and do due diligence on the guys doing the work.

Youre dependent on everything going smoothly but it never does. Theres the bank to keep happy, your family gets fed up living in rented, tradesmen let you down. It can be quite draining. And thats assuming that you dont discover major problems like subsidence, poor original construction work, weather damage etc. All delays in the logistics and supply chain cost you money.

Honestly theres a lot to consider. Fair enough if you really love a house but its something you need to go into eyes open if it needs a lot of work.

That's why I said its down to his financial situation and how much he loves the house.

It also depends on the work involved. An unsupported chimney and other smaller stuff is nothing.

At the end of the day we are all commenting on limited information of his situation, desire and the work involved.

Suggesting getting a recommended builder to put some meat on the bones to help with his decision making process is not outlandish advice. :lol:

The new CDM regs can be a ballache for domestic clients as well if you/your contractor arent up to speed.

Unsupported chimneys are not usually a massive deal. It's usually downstairs where a chimney breast has been removed. Could be as little as a 1k to 2k to sort.

Get a list of "urgent issues", find a recommended builder (ideally from friends) and talk it through.

This will give you a ball park on cost and length of job which should assist in your decision.

WTF! Im a structural engineer and I am pretty scared by that!