General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Spent a lot of me life over the last 3 or 4 months in South Shields and Marsden. I have to say its really really nice. Better than wor coast any day. 7 Sunderland fans gave it all mouthy with me on Saturday night like in Shields town centre, they all to a man piped down, that's the only bad side to it really Sunderland fans everywhere. Lovely place.

Marsden is a popular spot for folks to take a swan dive off the cliffs unfortunately!

I thought Shields was a bit rough when I worked there. Since working in Sunderland however I realise its like Beverly Hills in comparison. Fuck me, Sunderland is a shit hole

Marsden is a popular spot for folks to take a swan dive off the cliffs unfortunately!

I thought Shields was a bit rough when I worked there. Since working in Sunderland however I realise its like Beverly Hills in comparison. Fuck me, Sunderland is a shit hole

I worked in Sunderland for years, there can't be many worse places in Western Europe. I'm nee snob, but the people are almost exclusively common as fuck. South Shields I find the people a lot more refined than geordies or mackems tbh, and Marsden is really nice. Sea front is beautiful as I say I honestly prefer it to Tynemouth and Whitley Bay.

My old next door neighbor hoyed herself off the cliffs at Marsden. Married mother of two. Awful business.

My Mam used to work at the youth club who invited those Germans who ran off the cliff during bother at the top of the grotto. The bloke who organised the trip was a broken man because of it.

Whereabouts did you work? Like most places it has some nice and some bad. Biddick Hall being the extreme end of the bad.

Whereabouts did you work? Like most places it has some nice and some bad. Biddick Hall being the extreme end of the bad.

There's a place probably less than a mile from wor lasses which is shite like. "The Nook". The rest seems really nice I think, even the council estates are alright.

I would never say this to her like because she'd chin me, but I'd give them geordie passports like the Gurkhas get British ones, but not bonafide ones. Too many Sunderland fans there for me to feel utterly at ease, not even taking the piss, but....that is the only thing I don't like about it truthfully.

Edited by McFaul

I would never say this to her like because she'd chin me, but I'd give them geordie passports like the Gurkhas get British ones, but not bonafide ones.

You cheeky fucker! :lol:

I would never say this to her like because she'd chin me, but I'd give them geordie passports like the Gurkhas get British ones, but not bonafide ones. Too many Sunderland fans there for me to feel utterly at ease, not even taking the piss, but....that is the only thing I don't like about it truthfully.

It never really bothered me to be honest - they weren't "real" mackems to me and it meant even as kids we had rivalry which I think was better than a completely isolated relationship which was/is the case for kids in either city.

I haven't been back for quite a while but what used to annoy me was if you went down king st how many workers were actual mackems -as if there wasn't enough locals looking for jobs.

There's a place probably less than a mile from wor lasses which is shite like. "The Nook". The rest seems really nice I think, even the council estates are alright.

The Nook has now had a canny bit of regeneration now so it's not too bad around the shops.

Westoe Village is absolutely lush mind.

Spent a lot of me life over the last 3 or 4 months in South Shields and Marsden. I have to say its really really nice. Better than wor coast any day. 7 Sunderland fans gave it all mouthy with me on Saturday night like in Shields town centre, they all to a man piped down, that's the only bad side to it really Sunderland fans everywhere. Lovely place.

Most pubs probably sway mackem, especially in the south of the town, round Marsden if that's where you've been spending time.... The Fountain, Bamburgh, Grey Hen, New Crown, County etc. I'm basing that on owners 15 years ago like.

More Northern bars on the banks of the Tyne are better for that. The Riverside, The Waterfront and Steamboat which don't put coaches on or owt, but will show definitely show Newcastle games rather than the mackems on a Saturday afternoon.

Only other one that springs to mind is The Westoe. Maybe The Mariner as well.