General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

What are you, some kind of poet? ;)

Nope, I'm an idiot who went to work in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops last night. I looked a right clip on the bus home this morning :lol:

Nope, I'm an idiot who went to work in shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops last night. I looked a right clip on the bus home this morning :lol:

What's your feelings on the nhs Cath? Are they slowly destroying it?

What's your feelings on the nhs Cath? Are they slowly destroying it?

As J said above - it's a mess. The Trusts that have recently been publicised as "failing patients" include the hospital I trained at and worked in for 10 years. There weren't enough nurses there when I trained there 18 years ago and that hasn't improved since. It's also just the tip of the iceberg because if the general public knew half of some of the things that go on behind closed doors, and decisions that are made by management in probably all hospitals, there'd be more than a public outcry.

As J said above - it's a mess. The Trusts that have recently been publicised as "failing patients" include the hospital I trained at and worked in for 10 years. There weren't enough nurses there when I trained there 18 years ago and that hasn't improved since. It's also just the tip of the iceberg because if the general public knew half of some of the things that go on behind closed doors, and decisions that are made by management in probably all hospitals, there'd be more than a public outcry.

What's the solution given we all know no political party is going to throw endless cash at it. More privatisation ?

I cover any psychiatric emergencies in South Shields/Jarrow/Hebburn. We have to respond in under an hour.

They've just decided to relocate our office from Shields to Sunderland. A 30 mile round trip :lol: I can see 7 or 8 patients some days

Drugs companies are part of the problem. Overcharging the NHS is commonplace. They got round price regulation by selling drugs to the NHS via middle men - companies who don't come under that legislation. Cost of drugs is a pinprick however in the general scheme of things.

It's pretty clear that Govt is under pressure from private entities to give them slices of the NHS that they can make money from and this kind of stuff (Post Office) has continued under both labour and Tory (so the real enemy isn't within it's international big business).

Govt. of all flavours seem pretty good at giving away assets that public money has built up.

What's the solution given we all know no political party is going to throw endless cash at it. More privatisation ?

Tax the rich properly and tax companies like Amazon and Apple. Raise money and stop fucking about. Nuke Switzerland.

Reduce raising capital in the markets and get the BOE to actually print more money (currently we borrow about 3% from our 'own bank')...Govt. abitlity to raise revenue has been going down for decades...Get back onto that train.

Nationalise water, gas and trains and create jobs.

Edited by Park Life

Personally I don't think privatisation is the answer as I feel that will move the focus away from patient-centred care to profit-making - after all that's what make businesses successful. However, unless we get more nurses on the shop floor, and quickly, then we're on a slippery slope. We NEED more staff! We're running 30-bedded acute surgical wards on 2 qualified nurses and people are wondering why their loved-ones aren't getting the best care possible. Why their relatives aren't getting fed properly/getting their drugs on time/ dressings changed/ bed baths/ taken to the toilet/ not seen by doctors as as soon as they need to. I moved away from ward nursing about 4 years into my career as I was on the verge of a breakdown due to stress. It's physically impossible to give 15 patients high-quality, patient-centred, holistic care all at the same time, whilst also having more and more paperwork to do every time the government decide that 'standards need to be raised'

The nature of my job now means that I only have one patient at a time (although there are situations at night where several patients around the hospital may need anaesthetic input and there are only 2 of us) For the most part I can give my patient 100% care for my part of their hospital stay. I'm very often left knowing that when they then go back to the ward/Intensive Care/ High Dependency after being in theatre that there simply aren't the amount of staff there to give them the follow-up care that they require, to the standards required of us. Some nights if we're not operating then I'm re-deployed into areas that are short-staffed despite having no experience of that area or the patients. That's not fair on me or the patients and I have to constantly remind the bosses of my limitations in that area, but as long as I'm a qualified nurse, then the numbers look better. It doesn't mean the care I can give them is 100% of what is expected. I absolutely love my job, and I truly do my best for all my patients but sometimes it's just not enough.

I need to stop now, because I'm also bound by a social networking policy which prevents me from saying lots of things in the public arena.

Personally I don't think privatisation is the answer as I feel that will move the focus away from patient-centred care to profit-making - after all that's what make businesses successful. However, unless we get more nurses on the shop floor, and quickly, then we're on a slippery slope. We NEED more staff! We're running 30-bedded acute surgical wards on 2 qualified nurses and people are wondering why their loved-ones aren't getting the best care possible. Why their relatives aren't getting fed properly/getting their drugs on time/ dressings changed/ bed baths/ taken to the toilet/ not seen by doctors as as soon as they need to. I moved away from ward nursing about 4 years into my career as I was on the verge of a breakdown due to stress. It's physically impossible to give 15 patients high-quality, patient-centred, holistic care all at the same time, whilst also having more and more paperwork to do every time the government decide that 'standards need to be raised'

The nature of my job now means that I only have one patient at a time (although there are situations at night where several patients around the hospital may need anaesthetic input and there are only 2 of us) For the most part I can give my patient 100% care for my part of their hospital stay. I'm very often left knowing that when they then go back to the ward/Intensive Care/ High Dependency after being in theatre that there simply aren't the amount of staff there to give them the follow-up care that they require, to the standards required of us. Some nights if we're not operating then I'm re-deployed into areas that are short-staffed despite having no experience of that area or the patients. That's not fair on me or the patients and I have to constantly remind the bosses of my limitations in that area, but as long as I'm a qualified nurse, then the numbers look better. It doesn't mean the care I can give them is 100% of what is expected. I absolutely love my job, and I truly do my best for all my patients but sometimes it's just not enough.

I need to stop now, because I'm also bound by a social networking policy which prevents me from saying lots of things in the public arena.

Good post.

I've always believed the NHS is the line in the sand, so deep that it is in the national psyche. Time will tell. But if the fat, lazy, game show dazed idiots that populate our fair isle don't get off their arses and fight for the NHS then I hope they get everything that's coming to them.

Good post.

I've always believed the NHS is the line in the sand, so deep that it is in the national psyche. Time will tell. But if the fat, lazy, game show dazed idiots that populate our fair isle don't get off their arses and fight for the NHS then I hope they get everything that's coming to them.

In a nutshell the Tories are setting the NHS up so it will fail, and then the good old private sector will be forced to 'save it'. Agreed this is a line in the sand set deep in our psyche as a nation, but this is death by increments. If the public are so retarded that they are ready to blame the unemployed and immigrants for our woes, then they will swallow anything.

Tbh Labour are no better at the moment and are too gutless to provide an alternative vision. Like NUFC, I support them only nominally nowadays. The world's fucked up.

Good post.

Its the desperation to hold onto it thats causing the problems. Its really very simple, costs of healthcare are going up, money to fund it is going down. You therefore end up having to make a choice, give aunty Doris another week of insanely expensive healthcare or have the streets cleaned?

Demographic change dictates that either an increasingly larger proportion of government spending goes on health and we dont spend on other things or we try and find ways to get more out of what we've got.

I blame the people who cant do basic maths who should know better as much as anyone else

1. Old people cost the most healthcare money and pay no taxes towards funding the system
  2. Our population is now older, meaning higher costs and lower taxes with which to fund services
  3. In addition to this demographic change, the underlying assumptions about economic growth have changed
  4. Something has to give.

You spouting on about lines in the sand reminds me of the party political broadcasts from Germany referring to their healthcare system and the references to the NHS in the UK.

Just to be clear, fighting for the NHS as it is, fighting for no change, fighting for the same 100% government financed and supplied healthcare service, is fighting for a smaller NHS, its fighting for less healthcare in absolute terms for each of us. That's an economic fact.

Western populations are aging think we're all aware of that (look at Japan if you really want a shock).

Capitalism makes me laugh the way it propogandises continually against the vulernable, one week its' the unemployed another week it's old people...That shit don't wash with me. There are oceans of money but slights of hand keep it hidden from the general public. Trident is going to cost a £100 billion. :lol: I'd start by scrapping that.

I would suggest an NHS fund like the Norway Govt pension fund (the biggest on the planet). They started it by using oil revenues. The NHS fund would be invested in by the Govt and a levy on business in the UK and be open to private investors and NHS workers. There are a million things they could do instead of this fear mongering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Government_Pension_Fund_of_Norway

Edited by Park Life