General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Link below shows the cell he's in.

I wouldn't fancy spending a year on that, never mind the rest of my life tbf.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/inside-norwegian-killer-anders-breiviks-priso?s=mobile

(having said that, I'd put murderers in a 10'x10' cell with a blanket and shit pot and hoy some food in once a day, but that's why I'm not a judge).

If only for the comedy 'ping' at the end.

:lol:

Re the rest of the discussion, the bloke has been put away and will never get out. Surely that's all that matters.

People on my Facebook giving it "I'm disappointed, Norway" or "21 years for killing 77 people? How does that work?!" can share a cell with him as far as I'm concerned.

Either in a case like this, or more generally, I don't really think you can base the sentence on the victims' / victims' families wishes. You can't rehabilitate a person like this either. The notion's ridiculous.

i totally agree with you.

if we allowed victims to set the tariff for offenders, you'd see car thieves being sent to a firing squad

Here's a few reactions from Norwegian people; interesting to see that it's only the youngest one who mentions a death penalty....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19369548

As Rolf Henning Larsen states -: "What others must understand is that the penal system in Norway is all about rehabilitation rather than punishment."

Does anyone seriously believe he can be rehabilitated or even deserves to be?

I'm not saying death penalty is right. Or that rehabilitation is wrong. But for me personally, I'd someone was sent down for a crime against me or my family I would not see that part as punishment. Prison should not be "home from home" imo. Hard graft and public services for the tax payers costs imo

Guest CabayeAye

i totally agree with you.

if we allowed victims to set the tariff for offenders, you'd see car thieves being sent to a firing squad

Best idea you've ever had. Crime would plummet, that's for sure.

Does anyone seriously believe he can be rehabilitated or even deserves to be?

I'm not saying death penalty is right. Or that rehabilitation is wrong. But for me personally, I'd someone was sent down for a crime against me or my family I would not see that part as punishment. Prison should not be "home from home" imo. Hard graft and public services for the tax payers costs imo

i suggest you read "As If" by Blake Morrison, which is a meditation on the Bulger case & subsequent trial; it is the most eloquent advocacy of rehabilitation over retribution ever.

morrison points out that the working & under classes are the biggest victims & perpetrators of crime; what does this show us? i'm not truly sure i can articulate my thoughts on it as yet.

suffice to say i'm glad the ruling / professional classes run the judicial system.

I think if theres a chance of rehabilitation then its worth trying - I don't like writing people off as a matter of course. Having said that some people are inherent write-offs and in those cases I have no problem with simple punishement.I think Breivik is an example of the latter.

I also think this case makes for an interesting debate about insanity or indeed "evil". The basis for finding him "sane" was that he had planned this and could explain his reasoning in a "reasonable" fashion however warped the actual logic is. Personally I've always felt if there was a definition of "evil" other than the supernatural crap its someone who knows exactly what they are doing and does it anyway - unlike fully unhinged people.

Went to The Stand on high bridge street last night for the first time...

I THINK I quite liked it. I don't know, it was canny weird. We didnt go downstairs for any of the comedy or owt, just drank out in the smoking area all night. Well done out, canny beer (though not a massive selection, they have decent things on draft and canny wheat beers and that). Clientele ranged from normal people to hipsters to a couple of people who looked like they were from Geordie Shore, but it wasn't overbearing and big enough to gan down in a big group and have a session outside. Prices are alright, wine is expensive (5 quid for house white). I'll be going back again, but perhaps as a stop off between places, rather than spending 4 hours there.

This 'lion' on the loose in Essex? They've decided it's probably 'a large domestic cat'

How fucking large are domestic cats in Essex for anyone to make that kind of mistake?!

Oh and here it is..

9605f4ae4589997d09815c3493de754b.jpg

If anything, that looks like a shit version of the cowardly lion from The Wizard of Oz.