Roeder : Make your critics eat their words

Scottish Mag

GLENN Roeder has urged Shola Ameobi to ram his numerous critics' words right back down their throats after claiming the much-maligned striker is the victim of a witch-hunt.

Ameobi has divided opinion on the St James' Park terraces ever since he made his senior debut against Chelsea in September 2000.

To some, he is an unorthodox talent able to tie the country's best defenders in knots. To others the 24-year-old is an under-achieving luxury who lacks both the instinct and ability to become a top-class goalscorer.

The latter opinion has tended to hold sway during an inconsistent season in which Ameobi has managed just six Premiership goals from his 25 appearances.

But, after the former England Under-21 international proved his poaching credentials with a close-range strike in Saturday's 3-1 win over Tottenham, Roeder is hoping the tide is about to turn.

And, after claiming he would not tolerate the kind of persistent criticism his striker is forced to fend off, Newcastle's caretaker boss has told Ameobi to continue to let his feet do the talking.

"It disappoints me how easily people jump on the bandwagon with Shola," said Roeder, who has played the Nigeria-born frontman in every game since he replaced Graeme Souness in February. "Someone takes a dislike to a player and then we all dislike him.

"I think far too many people are happy to jump on the bandwagon. Because Shola is a decent man, and he doesn't fight back in the media, it tends to be very one-sided.

"He just takes it and I've told him, 'Shola, I wouldn't'. I would not take what is thrown Shola Ameobi's way.

"He is a difficult player to play against and, every time he scores, I am so pleased for him.

"Shola is still a young player," added the Magpies manager. "He's a lovely player to work with in training every day.

"He knows there are reports saying that, for a big man, he's sometimes too gentle and he's trying to get a bit more aggression into his game.''

Meanwhile, chairman Freddy Shepherd has promised to appoint Newcastle's new permanent manager before the end of the season.

With the club's preferred option, Martin O'Neill, also being courted by the Football Association, Shepherd's search for Graeme Souness' successor has stalled somewhat in recent weeks.

But, with just six more games of this season to go, the Magpies chief has pledged to put an end to the uncertainty before the final ball is kicked on May 7.

"We don't want to have uncertainty lingering on through the close season," said Shepherd. "We want supporters and players to finish the season knowing who will be in charge next August."

O'Neill still intends to speak to the FA in connection with the England job, but Newcastle officials will have been buoyed by reports suggesting the Ulsterman has already visited Hexham to look at a country estate close to the town.

I stick up for him because I think he get's far too much flak, but he's still not good enough like.

114691[/snapback]

Exactly the same with me.

The increased aggression in his game was evident at the weekend, and it definitely helps him look a better player, but he still doesn't look good enough. If he'd put that performance in at the age of 20 and hadn't already had 200 games for us, I'd have said that he looks a prospect, but having suffered 200 mostly poor games already, I've pretty much lost patience with him. Although he does come in for a lot of unnecessary stick.

8 goals in 2002-3, 10 goals in 2003-4, 7 goals in 2004-5 and now 6 so far this season. I don't think you'll get many 3rd choice strikers with a much better scoring record tbh.

114731[/snapback]

He's played loads of games though, especially this season.

8 goals in 2002-3, 10 goals in 2003-4, 7 goals in 2004-5 and now 6 so far this season. I don't think you'll get many 3rd choice strikers with a much better scoring record tbh.

114731[/snapback]

114733[/snapback]

This season, 20 starts, 6 goals. Not the worst record I've seen...certainly not bad enough to warrant a lot of the stick he gets.

I'll say this; he doesn't pick himself and fair play to him for not taking the boo-boys bait by gesturing to the crowd or whinging to the press. The amount of stick people give him you'd think he'd murdered someone.

Anyway, someone like Hoddle will pay £2m in the summer for him and I reckon he'll make a living in the Championship.

To others the 24-year-old is an under-achieving luxury who lacks both the instinct and ability to become a top-class goalscorer.

Absolutely spot on.

I still hate the way as soon as he miscontrols one ball or misplaces a pass the majority of the crowd moan like they've just had a black mamba shoved up their arse.

Donest perform week in week out for me.

Well done though like whats been said for not moaning etc about the stick he gets, but thats porlly because he knows he deserves most of it.

He looks too lazy on the pitch, isnt and never will be a great player in the Premiership. He could however do a job in the Championship, maybe lower!

Donest perform week in week out for me.

Well done though like whats been said for not moaning etc about the stick he gets, but thats porlly because he knows he deserves most of it.

He looks too lazy on the pitch, isnt and never will be a great player in the Premiership.  He could however do a job in the Championship, maybe lower!

114805[/snapback]

I've got no real problem with him getting stick WHEN he deserves it. My problem is that large elements of the crowd blame him for things that aren't even his fault half the time.

114731[/snapback]

114733[/snapback]

This season, 20 starts, 6 goals. Not the worst record I've seen...certainly not bad enough to warrant a lot of the stick he gets.

114743[/snapback]

23 starts, 6 sub appearances and 6 goals, whatever way you look at it its just not good enough.

Like when Boumsong miss clears a ball and people blame him and Shola :lol:

You're right though. I just find him so frustrating. I've seen him in games show strength and hold the ball great. He can show good skill and has shown the potential to turn into a good foil for the likes of Owen / Bellamy et al. However, on the flip side he has shown he can have the touch of an Elephant and can lay the ball off as if he was playing uphill or downhill.

Shame, just not sure how long he will keep getting chances, but after his last display (which I thought was canny) he deserves his chances. He'll never be world class, but with our current selection of forwards he needs to be kept at the club.

In the summer, Id like to see the club bring in two forwards. One as a starter and one to develop.

I think he would be a great and very useful player if we could get some excellent coaches and a good manager installed.

114842[/snapback]

aye, he was only groomed by Bobby Robson in his early years, and only had Alan Shearer to learn from. And now Owen as well.

:lol:

When he scores the winning goal in the World Cup Final I bet all the tossers who give him stick now will be celebarting and wanting him to wear the number 9 next season. Fickle bastards.

114835[/snapback]

Unfortunately Shola wouldn't even get selected for the pub team World Cup...

Like when Boumsong miss clears a ball and people blame him and Shola :lol:

You're right though.  I just find him so frustrating.  I've seen him in games show strength and hold the ball great.  He can show good skill and has shown the potential to turn into a good foil for the likes of Owen / Bellamy et al.  However, on the flip side he has shown he can have the touch of an Elephant and can lay the ball off as if he was playing uphill or downhill.

Shame, just not sure how long he will keep getting chances, but after his last display (which I thought was canny) he deserves his chances.  He'll never be world class, but with our current selection of forwards he needs to be kept at the club.

In the summer, Id like to see the club bring in two forwards.  One as a starter and one to develop.

114830[/snapback]

I loved watching him in his first season. When he was out wide with the ball, the ball just seemed to stick to his feet and he could hop his way past 2 or 3 challenges. For some reason he doesn't do that anymore which is a shame.

I think he would be a great and very useful player if we could get some excellent coaches and a good manager installed.

114842[/snapback]

aye, he was only groomed by Bobby Robson in his early years, and only had Alan Shearer to learn from. And now Owen as well.

:lol:

114847[/snapback]

Well he looked very promising under Bobby Robson, and I think plays well alongisde Shearer. But someone's got to give him lessons on his first touch and finishing.