Roeder happy with Houllier link

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder says he would not be surprised if Gerard Houllier fancied taking the reins at Newcastle United.

The Magpies are scouring the market for the full-time successor to Graeme Souness and former Liverpool chief Houllier is the latest name to be thrown into the mix.

Houllier earned many fans during his time at Anfield, but he has increased his stock since taking charge of Lyon.

He has followed up superbly from Paul Le Guen, with another Ligue 1 title set to be wrapped up, and they are still in contention for the UEFA Champions League crown.

He is believed to have crossed Newcastle's radar and caretaker chief Roeder feels the Frenchman would fancy a crack at the top job on Tyneside.

"He is having a great time in France at the moment, his team are still involved in the Champions League and he is an excellent manager," said Roeder. "So I am not surprised of reports of a manager of his quality being interested in this job.

"If anybody had any doubts about him towards the end of his era with Liverpool, he has certainly put them to bed at Lyon."

Should Houllier end up taking the reins at St James' Park, he would be reunited with Michael Owen - a striker who played a key role for him at Anfield.

Owen is battling back from a foot injury and Roeder says the England striker is progressing well.

"I've seen Michael at the training ground this week and he is really happy with the way the operation went," added Roeder.

"He is a little bit disappointed his comeback has been delayed, but nevertheless, we trust in the surgeon that he will finish this season playing in a black and white shirt."

Mmmmmm not to sure if he is the right man like, but i gave souness a chance and messed up. Its the board that has to get it right this time like, ya have to be a toon man to take up the reigns here like but if houllier does come he wants to sort that defence out, yet again we have to many midfielders and not enough defenders but at the same time we need to play decent football and become everybodies 2nd team again. No matter the result i believe that if we put on an outstanding performance i will accept defeat knowing that my team did their best :lol:

Edited by daveytait176

.....but at the same time we need to play decent football and become everybodies 2nd team again. No matter the result i believe that if we put on an outstanding performance i will accept defeat knowing that my team did their best  :razz:

113165[/snapback]

Cobblers. :lol: I have no interest in becoming everyone's favourite second team - what good did it do us last time? It's nice to watch good football, but if I leave the ground having watched us play great and get beat, I'm not as happy as if we've scrapped it out and won. I'll take winning anyday.

.....but at the same time we need to play decent football and become everybodies 2nd team again. No matter the result i believe that if we put on an outstanding performance i will accept defeat knowing that my team did their best  :razz:

113165[/snapback]

Cobblers. :lol: I have no interest in becoming everyone's favourite second team - what good did it do us last time? It's nice to watch good football, but if I leave the ground having watched us play great and get beat, I'm not as happy as if we've scrapped it out and won. I'll take winning anyday.

113212[/snapback]

Everyone wants to win, i'll take a win anyday too but if we play well and lose then i wont be as dissappointed as i have been over the past season B)