Toon next?

Howaythetoon

Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, are we next in line for a takeover?

How would such a thing sit with you guys?

Would it be a case of better in than out?

I'd be dead set against any kind of takeover from an Ambramovic or a Glazer type tycoon, or even a media company. I know Sony have cast eyes our way in the past as have NTL who actually bought a stake.

But I fear this will happen to us given some of the pies we have or are trying to get our fingers into and this talk of summer outside investment or a financial backer concerns me.

As much as I'd like to see the Halls and Shepherd's far removed from power, I'd rather have them in control milking the cow than becoming a plaything for some Tycoon or a media arm to some corporation.

Ideally I'd love to see the club in the hands of a supporters trust or for the likes of FS and the Halls to step aside, keep their shares and appoint a competent board, like the Irish did at Man Utd before selling up. Or even for a Tyneside/Geordie consortium to take over.

Thoughts?

I want success and it doesn't matter how we get it.

112625[/snapback]

So for you, it's all about success then?

Fair enough.

I want success, but not the Chelsea way, I'd rather see us flounder in mid-table watching shite every week.

Canny post on RAWK from a Reds fan on their takeover/investment talks:

Quote from: bigbear on Yesterday at 03:58:27 PM

It will be the most important decision made since the Club was founded.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with talk of Abramovic types at Liverpool. I don't want us to win the League that way.

I enjoy us having to sign Daniel Aggers for 5m and watch them develop rather than Rio Ferdinands for 30m who come as the finished product and never get to know what the Club really means.

I like the fact that e have to look for value in the transfer market. We always have.

I like the fact that a good run in Europe improves our finances and lets Rafa have an extra 5m quid to spend to close the gap.

I like the fact that it matters that we might sign Aurelio for free and sell Djimi (say) for 1.5m and put the money towards Joaqin (say) and discussing all this in the pub with my mates.

I like the fact that Rafa has to manage the Club properly and that we cannot just write 16m off on Mutu's and Veron's because that is not the type of club that we are.

I like the fact the we go to Anfield to watch our matches which is the most special place in the whole world to me outside of where my daughter is standing. I don't want a new stadium and all the memories of Anfield being supposedly transferred to it. Anfield is not a shit hole like Burnden Park, Ayresome Park, Baseball Ground and Roker Park so comparisons do not work for me. I also don't think we'd sell it out which is another issue.

For all that David Moores is slagged off because he's not mega rich I am comfortable with the fact that the future of my club will be safe guarded while it is in his hands. Who can say the same about Littal, Kraft, Villalonga, Schraipon and whoever else is being linked.

I know that where possible the ticketing policy will reflect the community we are based on and the real fans who attend. Are we sure that will be maintained as people seek to make money on their investment. That's what these guys are here for as they're not fans.

Be careful what you wish for because you might get it and then not like it.

Yes, I'd like a few quid for Rafa to have a go at Chelsea next year and sign a quality winger or striker and I don't mind a partner coming in who might market the Club in other areas BUT I don't want to risk the soul of the club for anything and I think we might be doing that.

I quite like the way we are going about things under a great manager.  We are doing it "The Liverpool Way". Fuck Chelsea and their "instant titles",  I wouldn't want it even if it was offered.

I quite like the Club the way that it is but it seems like I'm going out of fashion like these old ways as everything has to be immediate.

Well we've won a European Cup last year with our outdated methods and real fans and for all Chelsea's money they're no closer to that than they were 3 years ago so it doesn't guarantee you success and it certainly won't guarantee us happiness.

Look at what happened to United and their real fans. They're presently in the North West Counties enjoying themselves watching FC United and for all we slag them off I think they are the closest club to ourselves in many ways.

Couldn't agree more.

I want success and it doesn't matter how we get it.

112625[/snapback]

So for you, it's all about success then?

Fair enough.

I want success, but not the Chelsea way, I'd rather see us flounder in mid-table watching shite every week.

Canny post on RAWK from a Reds fan on their takeover/investment talks:

Quote from: bigbear on Yesterday at 03:58:27 PM

It will be the most important decision made since the Club was founded.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with talk of Abramovic types at Liverpool. I don't want us to win the League that way.

I enjoy us having to sign Daniel Aggers for 5m and watch them develop rather than Rio Ferdinands for 30m who come as the finished product and never get to know what the Club really means.

I like the fact that e have to look for value in the transfer market. We always have.

I like the fact that a good run in Europe improves our finances and lets Rafa have an extra 5m quid to spend to close the gap.

I like the fact that it matters that we might sign Aurelio for free and sell Djimi (say) for 1.5m and put the money towards Joaqin (say) and discussing all this in the pub with my mates.

I like the fact that Rafa has to manage the Club properly and that we cannot just write 16m off on Mutu's and Veron's because that is not the type of club that we are.

I like the fact the we go to Anfield to watch our matches which is the most special place in the whole world to me outside of where my daughter is standing. I don't want a new stadium and all the memories of Anfield being supposedly transferred to it. Anfield is not a shit hole like Burnden Park, Ayresome Park, Baseball Ground and Roker Park so comparisons do not work for me. I also don't think we'd sell it out which is another issue.

For all that David Moores is slagged off because he's not mega rich I am comfortable with the fact that the future of my club will be safe guarded while it is in his hands. Who can say the same about Littal, Kraft, Villalonga, Schraipon and whoever else is being linked.

I know that where possible the ticketing policy will reflect the community we are based on and the real fans who attend. Are we sure that will be maintained as people seek to make money on their investment. That's what these guys are here for as they're not fans.

Be careful what you wish for because you might get it and then not like it.

Yes, I'd like a few quid for Rafa to have a go at Chelsea next year and sign a quality winger or striker and I don't mind a partner coming in who might market the Club in other areas BUT I don't want to risk the soul of the club for anything and I think we might be doing that.

I quite like the way we are going about things under a great manager.  We are doing it "The Liverpool Way". Fuck Chelsea and their "instant titles",  I wouldn't want it even if it was offered.

I quite like the Club the way that it is but it seems like I'm going out of fashion like these old ways as everything has to be immediate.

Well we've won a European Cup last year with our outdated methods and real fans and for all Chelsea's money they're no closer to that than they were 3 years ago so it doesn't guarantee you success and it certainly won't guarantee us happiness.

Look at what happened to United and their real fans. They're presently in the North West Counties enjoying themselves watching FC United and for all we slag them off I think they are the closest club to ourselves in many ways.

Couldn't agree more.

112630[/snapback]

Easy for Liverpool fans to say, they pick up a tinpot every other year or two. When do we win anything and when was the last time we looked like winning everything?

Easy for Liverpool fans to say, they pick up a tinpot every other year or two. When do we win anything and when was the last time we looked like winning everything?

112634[/snapback]

I can see your point but would tasting success our way, i.e. the hard way, not be far more, what's the word... far more special than the Chelsea way?

At least under SJH/KK every inch of our meteoric rise was paid for by us lot, despite the media claiming he was our sugar daddy.

At the risk of being called a sewpafan, I couldn't care less about trophies myself, it's not what I support the club for, I support the club because of the tradition and meaning. I wouldn't like some rich person to come in and wave a magic wand like at Chelsea, for me that would be false and kind of like cheating.

And then there are other things. Already youngsters at Chelsea are not getting the time of day by fans because they know they can go out and buy a world-class finished product so why put in a youngster who could balls things up... they ask.

One of the highlights for me this season has been watching N'Zogbia and Ramage make their breakthrough and watching them develop in front of my own two eyes makes the admission price to watch crap, worth it. I get a great deal of pleasure out of just that.

The magic of our club (for me) is in our chase for that elusive trophy, that's part of the whole appeal. That struggle, that ability to fuck things up when it's easier to not fuck things up makes us special. When we choose our club's, that's what we are given and that's what we follow.

Also, I still have enough faith in the game itself to believe you don't need an Amramovic to achieve things. After all, where were they when Liverpool were celebrating in Istanbul?

But if we all sell out to the highest bidder, well that's not football, it's championship manager.

BTW I'm not knocking you for your thoughts, I can see where you are coming from, it would be nice to have lots of cash and to win the Premiership, but I just feel it's all wrong and bad for the game.

It wouldn't be my first choice but if every fucker else is doing it, better to be on the inside looking out than the outside looking in. I used to say that I'd hate for us to end up like Chelsea, as some billionaire's plaything, but if that's gonna be the way of things in football (and it probably is), then let's not miss the boat.

If the alternative is being perennially shitty middle of the road also-rans then fuck that!

Last time we talked about a take-over the only mega-rich geordies we could think of were Graham Wylie (who set up Sage), who's more interested in the horses and Frank Williams (F1 team owner, geordie by birth, toon supporter), who is busy with his motor racing.

I'd wouldn't mind us been taken over by a billionaire but I'd love it if he was a supporter too.

So HTT saying John Hall didn't invest a penny?

Seriously, how fucking clueless can one man get?

Edited by Sima

Last time we talked about a take-over the only mega-rich geordies we could think of were Graham Wylie (who set up Sage), who's more interested in the horses and Frank Williams (F1 team owner, geordie by birth, toon supporter), who is busy with his motor racing.

I'd wouldn't mind us been taken over by a billionaire but I'd love it if he was a supporter too.

112681[/snapback]

I'm with the Dr on this.

If Frank Williams decided to move his money from motor racing to the toon it could be the best of both world.

If they are a supporter, whether their from Tyneside or Lower Upper Bumfuck Idaho it doesn't matter, as long as the club is as important to them as it is us.

(On why did Abromovich buy Chelski, I think whoever mentioned the property location and the clean english money, got it spot on. Just look at Fulham, it's obvious Mohamed Al Fayed didn't buy them because he's a supporter.)

112708[/snapback]

Clueless. John Hall risked a fortune. If you don't want to win trophies you might as well give up as well.

112708[/snapback]

Can you read? Now where did I say that?

He put 50K in to buy Killer IIRC and put a few million in to buy shares which of course he has had back 10-fold. I stand by my point, our meteoric rise uder his Chairmanship was paid for by us lot and we continue to bankroll our club today despite the credit FS seems to get for this with the media and rival fans who say "he does back his managers with money".

112708[/snapback]

Clueless. John Hall risked a fortune. If you don't want to win trophies you might as well give up as well.

112762[/snapback]

SJH didn't risk a fortune, he knew exactly what he was getting into, 2 years before he even bought the club he was privvy to the Premiership TV deal.