Why is it an "UNcanny" knack/ability/etc

Asprilla

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was back in the days when there was no bridge and you had to be ferried through the fog across the river on a punt, by a mysterious man in a cloak. :o

112199[/snapback]

Who had an 'uncanny' knack of getting you to the other side without mishap.

Beautiful stuff - we've come full circle! It's the circle of life. It's the wheel of fortune.

More pearls from Bill Bryson by the way - if you extended both arms outwards to represent the age of the earth, human existence would only be represented by the very end of one fingernail - the way he described it, it could be wiped out with the swipe of a nail file. So there you go - I'm turning into the "did you know?" man. :o

Beautiful stuff - we've come full circle!  It's the circle of life.  It's the wheel of fortune.

More pearls from Bill Bryson by the way - if you extended both arms outwards to represent the age of the earth, human existence would only be represented by the very end of one fingernail - the way he described it, it could be wiped out with the swipe of a nail file.  So there you go - I'm turning into the "did you know?" man. :o

112202[/snapback]

There's some humans we could do with getting rid of in this manner

This was back in the days when there was no bridge and you had to be ferried through the fog across the river on a punt, by a mysterious man in a cloak. :o

112199[/snapback]

There was a bridge before my time - the Italians built one around 100 AD

"Pons Aelius" was the first name for the Toon remember

"Pons Aelius United doesn't have QUITE the same ring mind :o

Beautiful stuff - we've come full circle!  It's the circle of life.  It's the wheel of fortune.

More pearls from Bill Bryson by the way - if you extended both arms outwards to represent the age of the earth, human existence would only be represented by the very end of one fingernail - the way he described it, it could be wiped out with the swipe of a nail file.  So there you go - I'm turning into the "did you know?" man. :o

112202[/snapback]

Bill Bryson's obviously never seen Wacky-very stubby little arms and horrendously long, grubby fingernails.

Just the sort of daft analogy that I would expect from that tit Bryson tbh :o

112205[/snapback]

Silence, heemasex! I think it's a pretty good analogy - he does another one talking about the time on earth taken as a normal day. The dinosaurs were around for 45 minutes, you'll be interested to hear. They turned up around 10pm. :o

112205[/snapback]

Silence, heemasex! I think it's a pretty good analogy - he does another one talking about the time on earth taken as a normal day. The dinosaurs were around for 45 minutes, you'll be interested to hear. They turned up around 10pm. :o

112215[/snapback]

That's been used by loads of other people. We've been around for a few seconds if I remember rightly. Anyway, look at the plight of him. Propa mong :o

:o

112205[/snapback]

112215[/snapback]

That's been used by loads of other people. We've been around for a few seconds if I remember rightly. Anyway, look at the plight of him. Propa mong :o

112220[/snapback]

One minute and 17 seconds I think. :o

112205[/snapback]

112215[/snapback]

112220[/snapback]

One minute and 17 seconds I think. :o

112223[/snapback]

Well, that's a few seconds isn't it? :o

112205[/snapback]

112215[/snapback]

Just in time for kicking out time

It was the Romans actually, Italy didn't exist then :o

112208[/snapback]

Are you saying Rome isn't in Italy?

I'm sure that most of the folk that visited around that time weren't born and bred within the Rome city limits..............

I think a lot of them were Portuguese TBH

112205[/snapback]

Very good book, and analogy for that matter, back in your box! :o

So adding the "Un-" in this case is not a negative but an emphasis

112161[/snapback]

Not according to the OED, where are you getting that from?

Just the sort of daft analogy that I would expect from that tit Bryson tbh :lol:

112205[/snapback]

Very good book, and analogy for that matter, back in your box! :razz:

112234[/snapback]

B)

Now we just need Renton here to form a triumvirate.

Read the book, bummer boy!  It's packed with "did you know?" facts.  In fact I think you're a bit jeal that I've unleashed a few in the last few days before you've got to them. :lol:

112249[/snapback]

Might give it a go actually. I'm not touching another of his travel books with a barge pole though.

112161[/snapback]

112236[/snapback]

I think its in the Cambridge Encylodpeia of English - the use of negatives in dialect or non RP speech as an emphasis - I will check and get back to you

112161[/snapback]

112236[/snapback]

I think its in the Cambridge Encylodpeia of English - the use of negatives in dialect or non RP speech as an emphasis - I will check and get back to you

112256[/snapback]

I'd look into that, looks like you've been sold a knock-off. :lol:

I might not have made it clear above, but the Oxford English verified my explanation.

112161[/snapback]

112236[/snapback]

112256[/snapback]

I'd look into that, looks like you've been sold a knock-off. :lol:

I might not have made it clear above, but the Oxford English verified my explanation.

112259[/snapback]

fine - I stand corrected - always willing to learn sommat new