Theirry Henry

Howaythetoon

Aha! The Weah deal was agreed and he was about to sign for us (after telling us he would come) then he changed his mind at the last second and went to Meelan (as these ponses on the media insist on calling them).

Surgeon Hall went ballistic with the whole episode iirc and PSG were in the dog house which is why we got to sign Robert so easily (albeit for £10m)- as appeasement following the Weah deal.

111573[/snapback]

Was it not the Ginola signing that was the sweetener from PSG?

Of course Ginola was only 2nd choice behind John Salako... :o

111590[/snapback]

Aye, you could be right there. One of them anyway! :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Ginola who was the sweetner. We tried to sign Weah back in May 1995 and Ginola signed a few months later..

I'm glad we didn't get him - I thought he was gash when he played for Chelsea a couple of years later - Sir Les was a far better acquisition... :o

Didn't we try to sign Ginola and when it looked like it was stalling switched our attentions to Salako only to go back in for Ginola when Salako failed his medical?

I love Sir Les but I think Weah was pretty similar but a better finisher and had a better first touch. He was awesome at Milan against probably the best defences in the world.

It was Ginola who was the sweetner. We tried to sign Weah back in May 1995 and Ginola signed a few months later..

I'm glad we didn't get him - I thought he was gash when he played for Chelsea a couple of years later - Sir Les was a far better acquisition... :o

Didn't we try to sign Ginola and when it looked like it was stalling switched our attentions to Salako only to go back in for Ginola when Salako failed his medical?

111606[/snapback]

Wasn't it not a 6m double-bid??? I'm pretty sure we bid for both players at the same time.

I love Sir Les but I think Weah was pretty similar but a better finisher and had a better first touch. He was awesome at Milan against probably the best defences in the world.

111609[/snapback]

I agree Alex, but I view his performances for Chelsea and wonder if he was simply one of those players who couldn't adapt to the Premiership?

If that's the case he'd have been an expensive gamble...

Only regret I have about Sir Les is that the PLC forced the football club to sell him.

In my opinion he was by far the best striking partner that Shearer ever had, I'm sure I've read that was Shearer's opinion as well....

Only regret I have about Sir Les is that the PLC forced the football club to sell him.

In my opinion he was by far the best striking partner that Shearer ever had, I'm sure I've read that was Shearer's opinion as well....

111632[/snapback]

What did Ferdinand do after 1997? Not a lot for Tottenham really. Very injury-prone and didn't have the same scoring record as he had here and QPR. 126 starts for Spurs, 26 sub appearances, only 39 goals. At the time it was disappointing, but to quote Noel Edmonds, "It was the right deal at the right time".

Being hyper-critical here after being spoiled by the football of the preceding few seasons but I always preferred (in theory) Sir Les and Pedro/ Big Al and Pedro although I can only remember the latter away to Villa in Shearer's first season at the club off the top of my head. I always thought there was too much of a gap between midfield and attack when we played Ferdinand and Shearer together. I think that in the seasons prior to that we played better football, although maybe it wasn't always as effective. Obviously, there were some notable exceptions, i.e. Man Utd 5-0. Mind, we also played some great stuff with Tino, Ferdinand and Shearer all up front towards the end of Shearer's first season after Daglish took over.

Signori was a special player, I think KK saw him as a replacement for Beardsley, would have scored a ton of goals in wor league as well, great finisher and scored some spectacular goals in his Lazio days.

Never quite made it at international level though.

Weah, I didn't rate him like, not even for Milan, who had a great team at the time while the rest of Serie A were trying to catch up. If I remember right, he had a great first season and didn't really follow that up in other seasons.

Signori would have been a great replacement for Beardsley, very much in the Zola mould.

111668[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more, Zola but with pace and finishing skills.

Not saying Zola couldn't finish mind, he could, but he wasn't a goalscorer.

By all accounts Signori was a top bloke as well so I have no doubts he'd have settled in the Premiership. Imagine Shearer, Sir Les and Signori in the same side, on paper surely that wouldn't work, but knowing KK he'd have had them all on 20 goals each or something.

Mind, I think our own defence would have shat bricks as much as the opposition.

Weah's a former FIFA World Player of the Year btw :o

111670[/snapback]

Also European Footballer of the Year and African Footballer of the Year.

111703[/snapback]

And cousin of Ali Dia who is not a Footballer of the Year in any sort and not even a footballer at all...

So this was today's dig at Souness.

But these flashbacks to the Keegan rumours are bringing back some great memories from great times! :o

111670[/snapback]

111703[/snapback]

Weakened my argument tbh, El Hadj Diouf has won the latter :o

111670[/snapback]

111703[/snapback]

Weakened my argument tbh, El Hadj Diouf has won the latter :o

111713[/snapback]

But its something Ferdinand hasn`t.... :o