Tyne Bridge is shut

Renton

Probably due to a "jumper". Couldn't have picked a worse time. What with the closure of the tunnel, closure of the quayside after last weeks fire, and no metros, I predict horrendous traffic build up in Newcastle. Looks like a long drive home.... :o

Traffic is being sent back up the motorway from the direction it came. Horrendous. Serious, it's a repeated problem on this bridge. They should build nets making it impossible for jumpers to fall on people on the quayside below, or climb the arch. Even have a "jump here" point, straight into the water. Then they can do what they like.

Aye, you'd have thought they'd have something in place to prevent this, given the regular occurance of this kind of thing. An old mate of mine jumped off the Tyne Bridge a few months back, landed outside the Akenside, must be a horrible experience for those nearby who witness it.

Traffic is being sent back up the motorway from the direction it came. Horrendous. Serious, it's a repeated problem on this bridge. They should build nets making it impossible for jumpers to fall on people on the quayside below, or climb the arch. Even have a "jump here" point, straight into the water. Then they can do what they like.

111329[/snapback]

Government issue cyanide is the answer.

the fire engine is packing up now so hopefully its going to reopen shortly. Nightmare though, some protester rather than a jumper. Couldnt have picked a "better" day for it though, so that the Tyne Bridge closed, Tyne Tunnel, road from Quayside up to Redheugh is still shut because of the fire the other day.

EDIT: Bridge is open again.

We were tipped off at work that we may have a 'jumper' coming in but nothing materialised. There was also another fire on the Quayside - anyone know anything about that? I was heading into town straight after work to go to the theatre and it was a nightmare - fire engines trying to get from Gateshead to the Newcastle side of the Quayside at around 6.10pm. Thich black smoke and flames from the top of a building around Malmaison by the looks of it.

We were tipped off at work that we may have a 'jumper' coming in but nothing materialised.  There was also another fire on the Quayside - anyone know anything about that?  I was heading into town straight after work to go to the theatre and it was a nightmare - fire engines trying to get from Gateshead to the Newcastle side of the Quayside at around 6.10pm.  Thich black smoke and flames from the top of a building around Malmaison by the looks of it.

111481[/snapback]

This is the other side of the coin that we forget about. Most of us have the sentiment to let these daft fuckers jump and let us get on with our lives, but we forget that the polis, fire brigade (Christ, how old fashioned a title is that??), ambulance and medical people have to deal with the aftermath of any such 'jump'. Makes me think twice about wanting to give them a 'helping hand'.

We were tipped off at work that we may have a 'jumper' coming in but nothing materialised.  There was also another fire on the Quayside - anyone know anything about that?  I was heading into town straight after work to go to the theatre and it was a nightmare - fire engines trying to get from Gateshead to the Newcastle side of the Quayside at around 6.10pm.  Thich black smoke and flames from the top of a building around Malmaison by the looks of it.

111481[/snapback]

This is the other side of the coin that we forget about. Most of us have the sentiment to let these daft fuckers jump and let us get on with our lives, but we forget that the polis, fire brigade (Christ, how old fashioned a title is that??), ambulance and medical people have to deal with the aftermath of any such 'jump'. Makes me think twice about wanting to give them a 'helping hand'.

111487[/snapback]

We've had jumpers come to theatre before (providing they don't actually finish the job off like) and it's usually a hell of a mess. If they land on their feet they usually end up with impact injuries of broken ankles, shattered legs and their pelvis in lots of little pieces. It's long, arduous surgery and a looooong rehab afterwards.

When someone jumps, and they die, I always wonder if they splatter or just get cut up a bit, what happens to their body, do their insides turn to mush?

There are easier and better ways to top yourself like. The lengths people go to get out of being a donor.

Depends on the height they jump from I guess.

I saw some images of what was left of some of those who jumped from the WTC after the plane hit it and there was nothing recognisable left - just a pile of blood, guts and flesh. :o