O'Neill offered the job

Gemmill

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/story_page...rt/sport1.shtml

MARTIN O'NEILL has been officially offered the job as Newcastle manager. We can reveal Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd made a formal offer to the former Celtic and Leicester boss at Stamford Bridge after Wednesday's FA Cup quarter-final defeat against Chelsea.

A Newcastle insider said: "Martin was always the man Freddy wanted to replace Graeme Souness and he offered him the job outright on Wednesday. Martin has all the qualities Newcastle want and now the club is waiting for his answer."

It is understood Shepherd has offered O'Neill a four-year deal worth £10million.

But O'Neill, who quit football to nurse his sick wife, will not make a decision on his future until he has been interviewed for the England job.

The Irishman remains the preferred choice of FA chief Brian Barwick.

O'Neill has not ruled out taking over at St James' Park but wants to include his former Celtic coaching team of John Robertson and Steve Walford in any new job he accepts.

But the FA are more likely to want to make their own decision on backroom staff and would prefer young English coaches so they can establish a line of succession for the future.

Reported in the Express as well today...

Normally I'd take what the NOTW say with a pinch of salt, but it's interesting to note that they make reference to 'after the game on Wednesday'. O'Neill was there. :)

Normally I'd take what the NOTW say with a pinch of salt, but it's interesting to note that they make reference to 'after the game on Wednesday'. O'Neill was there. :)

110552[/snapback]

Or the story exists because O'Neill was spotted there on Wednesday?

I have more faith in UM on this story tbh.

110552[/snapback]

110553[/snapback]

I told you that he'd already been offered the job LONG before UM tbh. I am the true FORUM KING. :)

hey, O'Neill has me to thank for getting the job, seemingly Shepherd was all set to offer a record breaking deal to Hitzfeld on Tuesday then he read N-O and thought "Fook the lot of ye's" tbh jesus wept FACT.

I told you that he'd already been offered the job LONG before UM tbh.  I am the true FORUM KING.  :)

110554[/snapback]

Aye, but never trusts a ginge, it says so in the Bible. :)

Normally I'd take what the NOTW say with a pinch of salt, but it's interesting to note that they make reference to 'after the game on Wednesday'. O'Neill was there. :unsure:

110552[/snapback]

110553[/snapback]

I told you that he'd already been offered the job LONG before UM tbh. I am the true FORUM KING. :)

110554[/snapback]

Did you get told your version of this story by an Arab by any chance? :)

hey, O'Neill has me to thank for getting the job, seemingly Shepherd was all set to offer a record breaking deal to Hitzfeld on Tuesday then he read N-O and thought "Fook the lot of ye's" tbh jesus wept FACT.

110555[/snapback]

You seem pretty pleased with yourself about your "ruse"..... :)

It's getting to the stage where I just want it sorted out. I'm not O'Neill's biggest fan and I think he's overrated, but I'd be happy if he was appointed tomorrow. We need to bring in a manager, end the uncertainty and start rebuilding now. I guess it all depends on who the bloody FA want as England manager though.

110555[/snapback]

You seem pretty pleased with yourself about your "ruse"..... :)

110691[/snapback]

:)