It came from space...

Gemmill

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? ;)

110053[/snapback]

I'd question the word "need" there personally. Want is more apt, in everones case

110058[/snapback]

:lol: Do you still want that ticket dickweed?

110061[/snapback]

Ticket for what? You better not be giving him a ticket for a game you can't go to, I'm not having that taxi abusing bastard behind me.

110071[/snapback]

Spurs at hyem. Me Dad's away so he's with me so he is.

Nah, I was taking the piss out of Alex to be fair for boring us half to tears.  ;) I was parodying Renton mind as he's eminently parody-able. :lol:

110082[/snapback]

As I thought :icon_lol:

Wanker ;)

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? :lol:

110053[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I don't remember anything like that from a "Brief history of time".

110054[/snapback]

In all honesty, it's the one book of his I would consider reading in the future as I need stuff like that simplifying. Bet he's hoyed in a few dubious stories about the scientists like ;)

110059[/snapback]

Then I would suggest John Gribbon's books

more likely to get hit by a meteor than die in a plane tbh.

Is there not also a theory that life on this planet was actually kick started by a meteor impact that kicked various proteins and minerals into the air when it struck the ground?

Is there not also a theory that life on this planet was actually kick started by a meteor impact that kicked various proteins and minerals into the air when it struck the ground?

110183[/snapback]

Quite likely, or could have responsible for the heat needed to kick off a reaction that led to life forming.

110183[/snapback]

Quite likely, or could have responsible for the heat needed to kick off a reaction that led to life forming.

110185[/snapback]

Bollocks! Where did you hear that? :lol:

110183[/snapback]

110185[/snapback]

110189[/snapback]

Bill Bryson told him.

110183[/snapback]

110185[/snapback]

Bollocks! Where did you hear that? ;)

110189[/snapback]

:lol:

You sanctimonious scouse bastard!

110183[/snapback]

110185[/snapback]

Bollocks! Where did you hear that? ;)

110189[/snapback]

It was on this morning last week.

They had dry ice too.

:lol:

110183[/snapback]

110185[/snapback]

110189[/snapback]

I made it up, I'm allowed to do that, I call it a hypothesis, based on the fact that some chemical reactions require an activation energy, and incoming meteors would provide that. I'm not saying it's FACT, more POSSIBILITIMUNDOLICIOUS.

I should keep thoughts like that to myself

By the way we don't need a Saturn 5 rocket to intercept any incoming meteor

There are plenty of ICBM's around that can be modded or we can use the rockets they use to launch the interplanetary probes to Mars etc

By the way we don't need a Saturn 5 rocket to intercept any incoming meteor

There are plenty of ICBM's around that can be modded  or we can use the rockets they use to launch the interplanetary probes to Mars etc

110201[/snapback]

Or we could just accept our fate, and realise we're not invincible

but Jason Isaacs says the only way to stop a meteor is to drill into it and explode it from the middle with a nuke.....

We could stick HTT on top of a geet big mountain as a hot-air deflector shield.

110212[/snapback]

Online campaign and petition to stop the meteor tbh. Sky Sports News wrapped in a flag of Mars outside SJP

I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Anyway there's a bit in it about meteors hitting earth and the effects it would have.  It goes into a bit of detail about previous incidents - one in Manson, Iowa and one in the Yucatan Peninsula that's thought to have done for the dinosaurs.

According to the scientists he spoke to, if we're going to be hit by one of these things, the first time it'll be visible to the naked eye is when it hits the earth's atmosphere.  One second later it'll hit earth.  It'll be travelling at such speeds that it'll compress the air beneath it (he compares it to using a bicycle pump) which will cause temperatures of 60,000 degrees centigrade. 

The resultant blasts and the cloud of ash and dust would kill 1.5 bn within minutes and the clouds would hang around for months, possibly years, blocking out the sun and causing irreparable damage to earth's ability to support life.

Even if by some sheer fluke we got a year's warning - which we wouldn't because although these things are massive they are unlikely to be picked up until it's far too late - we still wouldn't be able to do anything about it as we no longer have rockets capable of getting up high enough to do any damage to it - the plans for the Saturn 5 rocket launch were destroyed in a NASA "spring cleaning".

Anyway, just something to think about.  1 second away. :)  If we ever got to a cup final where we were comfortably in the lead you just know something like this would happen in injury time. :)

110012[/snapback]

Ive always understood these things are pretty easily picked up? :unsure: I thought us earthlings constantly searched for them. i know we probably couldnt do much about it except :pray: and :panic: though!

Anymore cheerful friday topics Gemmill? ;)

I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Anyway there's a bit in it about meteors hitting earth and the effects it would have.  It goes into a bit of detail about previous incidents - one in Manson, Iowa and one in the Yucatan Peninsula that's thought to have done for the dinosaurs.

According to the scientists he spoke to, if we're going to be hit by one of these things, the first time it'll be visible to the naked eye is when it hits the earth's atmosphere.  One second later it'll hit earth.  It'll be travelling at such speeds that it'll compress the air beneath it (he compares it to using a bicycle pump) which will cause temperatures of 60,000 degrees centigrade. 

The resultant blasts and the cloud of ash and dust would kill 1.5 bn within minutes and the clouds would hang around for months, possibly years, blocking out the sun and causing irreparable damage to earth's ability to support life.

Even if by some sheer fluke we got a year's warning - which we wouldn't because although these things are massive they are unlikely to be picked up until it's far too late - we still wouldn't be able to do anything about it as we no longer have rockets capable of getting up high enough to do any damage to it - the plans for the Saturn 5 rocket launch were destroyed in a NASA "spring cleaning".

Anyway, just something to think about.  1 second away. :)  If we ever got to a cup final where we were comfortably in the lead you just know something like this would happen in injury time. :)

110012[/snapback]

Ive always understood these things are pretty easily picked up? :unsure: I thought us earthlings constantly searched for them. i know we probably couldnt do much about it except :pray: and :panic: though!

Anymore cheerful friday topics Gemmill? ;)

110219[/snapback]

Too far away and too small to be picked up apparently. Unless some nerd happened to be pointing a telescope in the right place at the right time, but it's unlikely.