It came from space...

Gemmill

I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Anyway there's a bit in it about meteors hitting earth and the effects it would have. It goes into a bit of detail about previous incidents - one in Manson, Iowa and one in the Yucatan Peninsula that's thought to have done for the dinosaurs.

According to the scientists he spoke to, if we're going to be hit by one of these things, the first time it'll be visible to the naked eye is when it hits the earth's atmosphere. One second later it'll hit earth. It'll be travelling at such speeds that it'll compress the air beneath it (he compares it to using a bicycle pump) which will cause temperatures of 60,000 degrees centigrade.

The resultant blasts and the cloud of ash and dust would kill 1.5 bn within minutes and the clouds would hang around for months, possibly years, blocking out the sun and causing irreparable damage to earth's ability to support life.

Even if by some sheer fluke we got a year's warning - which we wouldn't because although these things are massive they are unlikely to be picked up until it's far too late - we still wouldn't be able to do anything about it as we no longer have rockets capable of getting up high enough to do any damage to it - the plans for the Saturn 5 rocket launch were destroyed in a NASA "spring cleaning".

Anyway, just something to think about. 1 second away. :lol: If we ever got to a cup final where we were comfortably in the lead you just know something like this would happen in injury time. ;)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Anyway there's a bit in it about meteors hitting earth and the effects it would have.  It goes into a bit of detail about previous incidents - one in Manson, Iowa and one in the Yucatan Peninsula that's thought to have done for the dinosaurs.

According to the scientists he spoke to, if we're going to be hit by one of these things, the first time it'll be visible to the naked eye is when it hits the earth's atmosphere.  One second later it'll hit earth.  It'll be travelling at such speeds that it'll compress the air beneath it (he compares it to using a bicycle pump) which will cause temperatures of 60,000 degrees centigrade. 

The resultant blasts and the cloud of ash and dust would kill 1.5 bn within minutes and the clouds would hang around for months, possibly years, blocking out the sun and causing irreparable damage to earth's ability to support life.

Even if by some sheer fluke we got a year's warning - which we wouldn't because although these things are massive they are unlikely to be picked up until it's far too late - we still wouldn't be able to do anything about it as we no longer have rockets capable of getting up high enough to do any damage to it - the plans for the Saturn 5 rocket launch were destroyed in a NASA "spring cleaning".

Anyway, just something to think about.  1 second away. :lol:  If we ever got to a cup final where we were comfortably in the lead you just know something like this would happen in injury time. ;)

110012[/snapback]

1 second away......Pud can do it twice in that time according to Top-lass, so theyre both happy. Her less so of course.

Bill Bryson likes to sprinkle in a few innaccuracies to spice things up like but if we were going to be hit by a massive asteroid I can well believe that there'd be fuck all we could do about it.

Isn't there a theory the Earth and our Moon were formed in their current state following a collision between the 'old Earth' and another planet? Supposedly, because of it's relatively large size, the Moon has stabilised the Earth's orbit helping to make life here possible.

Bill Bryson likes to sprinkle in a few innaccuracies to spice things up like but if we were going to be hit by a massive asteroid I can well believe that there'd be fuck all we could do about it.

Isn't there a theory the Earth and our Moon were formed in their current state following a collision between the 'old Earth' and another planet? Supposedly, because of it's relatively large size, the Moon has stabilised the Earth's orbit helping to make life here possible.

110016[/snapback]

Sounds like exactly the sort of pissed up conversation Wacky and SMO would have at kicking out time......that and which girl at work they thought would have a stinking fanny. :lol:

Who'd be up for fingers 'n' tops on the 1st date etc. :lol:

110018[/snapback]

I reckon SMO's under the thumb tbh. Half of his hotel stories are blatantly lifted from the scripts to the 1970's Robin Asquith 'Confessions of a....' films. Repressed fantasist.

110018[/snapback]

This was turning out to be a good thread until you pervs pervified it as always. Five posts ffs! ;)

Anyway, it's a good book by Bryson. The chances of dying by a comet or meteorite strike are quite high in fact. The event itself is very unlikely, but the consequences would be devestating. I think you have to multiply the chance of the event by the chance it would kill you, and hey presto. You are as likely to die by being hit on the head with a rock from space as you are by being run over. Or something.

110018[/snapback]

This was turning out to be a good thread until you pervs pervified it as always. Five posts ffs! ;)

Anyway, it's a good book by Bryson. The chances of dying by a comet or meteorite strike are quite high in fact. The event itself is very unlikely, but the consequences would be devestating. I think you have to multiply the chance of the event by the chance it would kill you, and hey presto. You are as likely to die by being hit on the head with a rock from space as you are by being run over. Or something.

110021[/snapback]

Finally someone with some brains arrives in the thread. ;) Fannies indeed! :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Aye I'm enjoying the book. Covers loads of stuff, lots of which I vaguely remember from school but couldn't be bothered with at that age. Worth a read.

It's a book for people who need scientific theories simplifying tbh :lol:

110029[/snapback]

Aye cos I'm sure you'd a) understand and b ) want to wade through the original text of some of the stuff it covers. ;)

It's a book for people who need scientific theories simplifying tbh ;)

110029[/snapback]

Aye cos I'm sure you'd a) understand and b ) want to wade through the original text of some of the stuff it covers. ;)

110036[/snapback]

None of which alters the fact that it's a book for people who need scientific theories simplifying :lol:

110029[/snapback]

Aye cos I'm sure you'd a) understand and b ) want to wade through the original text of some of the stuff it covers. :icon_lol:

110036[/snapback]

None of which alters the fact that it's a book for people who need scientific theories simplifying :lol:

110038[/snapback]

I'd question the word "need" there personally. Want is more apt in my case. ;)

110029[/snapback]

Aye cos I'm sure you'd a) understand and b ) want to wade through the original text of some of the stuff it covers. :icon_lol:

110036[/snapback]

110038[/snapback]

110041[/snapback]

I fucking hate Bill Bryson tbh, if it's anything like his travel books, half the stuff will be made up.

It's a book for people who need scientific theories simplifying tbh :icon_lol:

110029[/snapback]

110036[/snapback]

110038[/snapback]

110041[/snapback]

I fucking hate Bill Bryson tbh, if it's anything like his travel books, half the stuff will be made up.

110043[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Blatant agenda tbh. ;) Are you suggesting he's never left his house? :icon_lol:

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? :lol:

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? :lol:

110053[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I don't remember anything like that from a "A short history of nearly everything".

I'll avoid his travel books though.....

Edited by Renton

110053[/snapback]

So...are we going to get killed by an asteroid or not then?

110053[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I don't remember anything like that from a "Brief history of time".

110054[/snapback]

Me neither, so boo sucks to you Alexis Colby! ;)

110053[/snapback]

I'd question the word "need" there personally. Want is more apt, in everones case

110053[/snapback]

Fair enough, but I don't remember anything like that from a "Brief history of time".

110054[/snapback]

In all honesty, it's the one book of his I would consider reading in the future as I need stuff like that simplifying. Bet he's hoyed in a few dubious stories about the scientists like ;)

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? ;)

110053[/snapback]

I'd question the word "need" there personally. Want is more apt, in everones case

110058[/snapback]

:lol: Do you still want that ticket dickweed?

He makes up stuff like. In one bit of 'Down Under' he alters the lyrics of 'Waltzing Matilda' to make a point about Banjo Patterson who wrote it. Not to mention his tiresome, middle class suburban attitude to things, his complete inability to engage with his surroundings on anything other than the most superficial level, his 'funny' anecdotes, his ridiculously hackneyed caricatures of the locals and my idea of interesting travel writing isn't really stories about 5 star hotels and 1st class travel. Need I go on? ;)

110053[/snapback]

110058[/snapback]

110061[/snapback]

I'm guessing he was taking the piss out of me. And Gemmill, don't quote me while I'm editing an embarassing mistake!

110053[/snapback]

110058[/snapback]

110061[/snapback]

Ticket for what? You better not be giving him a ticket for a game you can't go to, I'm not having that taxi abusing bastard behind me.