An old, dear friend has died - Beeb

Rob W

'Clive of India's' tortoise dies

A tortoise that once belonged to British colonial general Clive of India in the 18th Century has died in a zoo in Calcutta. Adwaita, "the only one" in Bengali, was found dead by keepers in Alipore Zoo on Wednesday. His shell cracked some months ago and a wound had developed.

West Bengal officials said records showed Adwaita was at least 150 years old but other evidence pointed to 250. The shell of Adwaita, an Aldabra tortoise, will now be carbon-dated.

Forestry minister in the West Bengal government, Jogesh Barman said: "Historical records show he was a pet of British general Robert Clive of the East India Company and had spent several years in his sprawling estate before he was brought to the zoo about 130 years ago."

Mr Barman said Adwaita was probably brought from the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean and presented to Clive, an increasing force in the East India Company's military hierarchy.

The BBC's Amitabha Bhattasali in Calcutta says Adwaita brought in many of the zoo's visitors and when he fell sick for the first time eight years ago with a leg infection a full medical board was instigated to treat him. The director of the zoo, Subir Chowdhury, said Adwaita's shell would be preserved and kept there.

One zookeeper told the Reuters news agency: "This is a sad day for us. We will miss him very much."

Lord Clive, the son of a Shropshire squire, became a soldier and adventurer who rose through the East India Company. He won the key Battle of Plassey against the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. Lord Clive later became an opium addict and committed suicide in 1774 at the age of 49.

Puts me in mind of the rather strange preface to 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' by Philip K. Dick:

Auckland

A turtle which explorer Captain Cook gave to the King of Tonga in 1777 died yesterday. It was nearly 200 years old. The animal, called Tu'Imalila, died at the Royal Palace Ground in the Tongan capital of Nuku, Alofa.

The people of Tonga regarded the animal as a chief and special keepers were appointed to look after it. It was blinded in a bush fire a few years ago.

Tongan radio said Tu'Imalila's carcass would be sent to the Auckland Museum in New Zealand.

Reuters, 1966

:lol:

We had a tortoise. Then some builders came out to do an extension on our house and it went missing. Since then my mam and dad got divorced and both remarried. In a conversation between my mam and my new stepdad, when my mam mentioned where we used to live, it transpired that my stepdad had been one of the builders that did the work on our house - spooky! Anyway he's still under suspicion of tortoise theft and my sister keeps a wary eye on the two cats and a dog that my mam has.

I always wanted a tortoise when I was a kid....

109990[/snapback]

Don't bother - my mate had a few, I've never known an animal who's shit smells so bad! ;);):lol: