Just got banned on DeviantArt... I have a question

MattM4

Well i posted a couple NUFC wallpapers on DA over the weekend, when I know very well I shouldnt have ... anyway I am appealing but that is another story.

Thing is, I payed for a year-long membership there back in August I think, this is their stance on the matter:

If I get banned, can I get the money I paid towards my subscription refunded?

No. If you do not follow our publicly posted policies, we are under no obligation to refund your money.

surely this can't be right, and they should give back the remaining months of subscription... or is it "gross misconduct" on my part?

Well I have not real legal knowledge but if the situation is mentioned in their T&C's then chances are it covers their back. By the looks of things they won't give you your cash back, the best you can hope for is they revoke the ban.

Well I have not real legal knowledge but if the situation is mentioned in their T&C's then chances are it covers their back. By the looks of things they won't give you your cash back, the best you can hope for is they revoke the ban.

108782[/snapback]

They've got back to me and it's only a month ban.

But i'm wondering about this on a moral ground... even though they say they won't refund your money, doesnt mean their backs are covered. IE. you can't have a clause saying that theyre allowed to steal from and you can't reclaim it, that has no legal value (i'm exagerating a lot as i can't think of any good examples, but I think you see what I mean)

As I read it, you bought a year's service under a contract that states that you forfeit your payment if you don't follow the rules.

That means you lose your money if you don't follow the rules.

As I read it, you bought a year's service under a contract that states that you forfeit your payment if you don't follow the rules. 

That means you lose your money if you don't follow the rules.

108908[/snapback]

:lol: The contract was indeed made with these T&Cs in place, and I assume you had the chance at the time of paying the fees to read them.

So no you can't get your money back.

The terms and conditions are probably legal unless they're not allowed in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 but chances are that they're fairly reasonable so I don't think you have any defence.

Well that'll larn you

Alreetlike is correct - the rules and regs are there and you agree to them when you sign up

The MORAL question is why did you break them having promised not to???

The MORAL question is why did you break them having promised not to???

109985[/snapback]

Because I'm an idiot! there happy now?!

:lol:

(there's also the age old excuse of: "everyone does it" but that's just sad)

Alreetlike is correct - the rules and regs are there and you agree to them when you sign up

109985[/snapback]

Get in - that's my contract law exam in June nailed. :)