Snowboarding

adios

Been wanting to try it for a long time, finally went up for a day on Saturday; fantastic. I'm already hooked, but a bit pissed off I've left it so late in the season (the closest place closes the end of March).

The only thing I'm not liking is the kerraaaziness associated with it; when we arrived I was greeted with the sight of a lad wearing a jesters hat, doesn't get any worse than that, I thought, until his mate came into view, wearing a snorkel... In fairness, there was hundreds up there and only a hand-full of those twats (really not sorry if anyone of similar ilk reads this btw :lol:)

So has anyone been? Does the thrill wear off quickly, is skiing better?

Edited by DotBum

one of the few things I really love. Lived in Austria for two years and during those winter months it was nothing but pretending to work and then hitting the slopes all afternoon.

Im not sure about the kerrazziness. I'd say you get more of those sort into skiing.

Probably over now though as Ive recently had an op on my back :lol:

one of the few things I really love. Lived in Austria for two years and during those winter months it was nothing but pretending to work and then hitting the slopes all afternoon.

Im not sure about the kerrazziness. I'd say you get more of those sort into skiing.

Probably over now though as Ive recently had an op on my back  :lol:

108288[/snapback]

Seriously? I would always have associated that skater-dude thing with snowboarding, I know a few people who are quite put off by that image, I just thought it would be silly to let it get in the way of something that looked like good craic!

I'm assuming by the fact that you sound like you really miss it, and have done quite a bit of it, that the attraction doesn't wear thin quickly. Have you tried skiing, at all?

Edited by DotBum

Had a shot of it on a Dry Slope. It's good fun but I had a reet struggle getting back up. Strange for me since weebles wobble but they don't fall down!

108279[/snapback]

Brave man. I've had too many mates injure themselves on them, more than one dislocated knee (if that's the right term), I think it's common because the knee gets caught in the holes when you fall and the rest of you keeps moving; sounds lovely.

I found getting up when on my back impossible, but when I was on my front it was easy to get onto my knees and then push myself up. So I just flipped over first when I was on my back, not exactly graceful, but it worked.

Probably over now though as Ive recently had an op on my back  :lol:

108288[/snapback]

Seriously? I would always have associated that skater-dude thing with snowboarding, I know a few people who are quite put off by that image, I just thought it would be silly to let it get in the way of something that looked like a good craic!

I'm assuming by the fact that you sound like you really miss it, and have done quite a bit of it, that the attraction doesn't wear thin quickly. Have you tried skiing, at all?

108307[/snapback]

Never tried skiing but my mate who does both (and was a skier first) prefers boarding. The good thing with boarding is it takes a relatively short time to get to a half decent level, skiings much more difficult.

There is that skater side to it but as for wearing daft hats and being crazy (day glo outfits ?) thats definitely more skiers. Dont let the skater thing put you off though you'll see more people not looking like that than you will. Im more into free ride than tricks and shit too. Me and the mountain. Best time I ever had was in the last week of one season (UK holidays having actually stopped), snow was still great, sun was shining so I was only in a T shirt and we saw 4 people all day, we literally had the mountain to ourselves, salad days.

Im going to really miss it

Never tried skiing but my mate who does both (and was a skier first) prefers boarding. The good thing with boarding is it takes a relatively short time to get to a half decent level, skiings much more difficult.

There is that skater side to it but as for wearing daft hats and being crazy (day glo outfits ?) thats definitely more skiers. Dont let the skater thing put you off though you'll see more people not looking like that than you will. Im more into free ride than tricks and shit too. Me and the mountain. Best time I ever had was in the last week of one season (UK holidays having actually stopped), snow was still great, sun was shining so I was only in a T shirt and we saw 4 people all day, we literally had the mountain to ourselves, salad days.

Im going to really miss it

108319[/snapback]

Nah, I'm hooked now, whatever about letting the image get to me before trying it, it's definitely not going to get to me after.

I think I'll try and get 3/4 more days up there before the end of the month and do skiing for one day, the girlfriend really wants to give it a go, and it's an idea to try it before splashing out on the gear for two people (we're just renting at the moment).

Surprised Rob hasn't been in yet to tell us how he invented snowboarding accidentally one day while doing some extreme ironing, tripped and the rest is history.

Shame about your back, no chance you could take it up again?

Once everyone trys it they're hooked

I had a mate who got really into surfing when we were at college. When he couldnt surf he used to just drive to Seaton Carew and stare at the waves. I used to rip it out of him then. Boarding became the same for me, every spare second I could get I was there. Didnt help that the office in Austria had a great view of the mountains though

If you are going to give skiing a go you have to really give it more than one day. You'll be just getting to grips with snow ploughing by then I imagine.

I'll have to see what the consultant says. I cant see it myself. Ive fucked one disc and a couple of others looked in pretty bad shape. Ive now got some nice metal screws and rods in my bottom two vertebrae and I dont know how theyd react to a nice tumble

I've done it on dry and snow slopes, its very adictive, I had huge problems to begin with, because I was used to skateboarding, the way of slowing down on a snowboard is the complete oposite to a skateboard and was completly against all my instincts.

Once everyone trys it they're hooked

I had a mate who got really into surfing when we were at college. When he couldnt surf he used to just drive to Seaton Carew and stare at the waves. I used to rip it out of him then. Boarding became the same for me, every spare second I could get I was there. Didnt help that the office in Austria had a great view of the mountains though

If you are going to give skiing a go you have to really give it more than one day. You'll be just getting to grips with snow ploughing by then I imagine.

I'll have to see what the consultant says. I cant see it myself. Ive fucked one disc and a couple of others looked in pretty bad shape. Ive now got some nice metal screws and rods in my bottom two vertebrae and I dont know how theyd react to a nice tumble

108345[/snapback]

Looking at the snow-capped Pyrenees at the moment, not helping.

I've done it on dry and snow slopes, its very adictive, I had huge problems to begin with, because I was used to skateboarding, the way of slowing down on a snowboard is the complete oposite to a skateboard and was completly against all my instincts.

108353[/snapback]

Falling over? I found that bit very easy. :lol:

108353[/snapback]

thats the biggest problem people have. They think Ive skated so I should pick it up easilly. Its more like surfing than skating.

Snowboaring, Anyone been?

Is it anything to do with wild pigs in winter?

108361[/snapback]

Don't know what you're on about! :lol:

Moved from ski to snowboarding about 8 years ago and I haven't been back on skis since.

If you can get over the jesters and the suicidal beginners who don't think they need a lesson or two then it is awesome.

The only time it isn't as good as skiing is when it is icy.

NZ slopes are the best for boarding, soft, long and not over crowded.

Been skiing a few times and snowboarding always looked like a day spent on your arse tbh.  Plus getting on and off the lifts looked almost impossible, so I stuck with the skiing.

108642[/snapback]

Bloke I play footie with has just fucked his knee snowboarding or to be more precise, getting off a ski lift with his board.

boarding is different class. once you try it you'll never go back to skiing.

i've just got back from a week in courchevel (french alps). it's defintely worth persevering with.

i had a few hairy runs when the visibilty fucked up but you soon forget about the sore arse from the first couple of days when you're linking turns and cutting up the fresh powder off piste.

there's just nothing like riding untouched snow....it's like surfing through air - you've just got to try not to fall over because you can end up getting buried waste deep in snow and having to swim through snow to saftey.

boarding is different class. once you try it you'll never go back to skiing.

i've just got back from a week in courchevel (french alps). it's defintely worth persevering with.

i had a few hairy runs when the visibilty fucked up but you soon forget about the sore arse from the first couple of days when you're linking turns and cutting up the fresh powder off piste.

there's just nothing like riding untouched snow....it's like surfing through air - you've just got to try not to fall over because you can end up getting buried waste deep in snow and having to swim through snow to saftey.

108673[/snapback]

Hmmm, I was reading an article in the Times about snowboarders going off-piste. Apparently they are responsible for most the avalanches seen in the Alps (very frequent this year because of the late snow). Usually they end up killing other people by triggering avalanches beneath them - there was an English skiier killed in this way this year in Italy iirc - and the boarders that caused it are probably going to get lenghy sentences.

Anyone been on a snowmobile before?  Class fun, with the added bonus of feeling like you're James Bond.

108683[/snapback]

I know Daniel Craig must give you some hope, but we're still a long way from fat-ginger Bond tbh.

Maybe you could play a rogue (rouge?) robot? :lol:

Edited by DotBum

Anyone been on a snowmobile before?  Class fun, with the added bonus of feeling like you're James Bond.

108683[/snapback]

I know Daniel Craig must give you some hope, but we're still a long way from fat-ginger Bond tbh.

Maybe you could play a rogue (rouge?) robot? :lol:

108684[/snapback]

You could play a villain whose only weakness is the fact that his eyes are gay! This gives rise to the added complication of you not knowing whether to kill Bond or bum him. "Noooooo, Mr. Bond, I expect you to strip tbs tbs." :lol: