Ruud alert

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United are keeping tabs on Ruud van Nistelrooy's situation with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

And after studying the Dutch striker's body language in Sunday's game with them, I believe United are ready to fight a host of top European clubs for the 29-year-old.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd's priority is to find a new manager, but while he does, he knows he cannot allow other clubs to steal a march on United when the transfer window opens again in the summer.

Obviously, the new manager will decide just who will come and go from St James' Park, in the close season, but Shepherd wants everything in place for him so United can act immediately.

Shepherd has had informal talks with his caretaker manager, Glenn Roeder, about a lot of things because he respects the former skipper's opinions, and I would be surprised if new players have not been mentioned.

And when I have chewed the fat with Roeder about which players he would like to see at St James' Park next season, regardless of who the new manager is, the name of Van Nistelrooy was at the top of his list.

This was before there were reports over the weekend that Spurs are ready to play £7m for the Manchester United striker, and a claim today that Van Nistelrooy has told his family that his time is up at Old Trafford.

United, of course, will be without Alan Shearer next season and they know they face the almost impossible task of replacing the greatest goalscorer and possibly the greatest player in the history of the Premiership.

But there are two strikers who can run Shearer close. United already have one of them in Michael Owen, and the other is Van Nistelrooy, who is the joint top scorer in the Premiership at the moment with Thierry Henry with 19 goals to his credit, despite not figuring in Sir Alex Ferguson's starting line-up recently.

There has been a lot of talk coming out of Anfield in the past week about Owen going back to Liverpool, but he is on a four-year contract at St James' Park.

But United know that Owen would be a lot happier if he has another world class striker playing alongside him in a black-and- white shirt next season.

United will face competition as AC Milan and Roma are also interested, but if Van Nistelrooy wants to stay in the Premiership then Newcastle's hat will be in the ring.

He's set to complete the forward line with previous targets Ronaldo and Ronaldinho...

106973[/snapback]

Is Rooney not coming as well?

106978[/snapback]

I wasn't talking about subs tbh.

He's set to complete the forward line with previous targets Ronaldo and Ronaldinho...

106973[/snapback]

Is Rooney not coming as well?

106978[/snapback]

IS ALEX COMING TOOOO...Big Al will like it :o

;) rocks

Tbh if he became available i'd expect Fat Fred to have a shot at it, and then i'd fully expect Ruud to pick one of "europes top clubs" ahead of us!

107288[/snapback]

It would take him four of five years to come good at this level anyway :o

Tbh if he became available i'd expect Fat Fred to have a shot at it, and then i'd fully expect Ruud to pick one of "europes top clubs" ahead of us!

107288[/snapback]

It would take him four of five years to come good at this level anyway :o

107293[/snapback]

And not forgetting the fact he'd no doubt get a hamstring injury in his debut match for us and another one on his return!

• 2 months later...
Manchester United have told AC Milan they must cough up at least £20m if they want Ruud van Nistelrooy as a replacement for Andriy Shevchencko. (Daily Express)

I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on him !

Manchester United have told AC Milan they must cough up at least £20m if they want Ruud van Nistelrooy as a replacement for Andriy Shevchencko. (Daily Express)

I can't see anyone spending that kind of money on him !

144110[/snapback]

Expect us to make a bid of £20m next week then! :lol:

didnt dion dublin come through just ahead of beckham et all and then get sold straight away?

always rated him.

anyway - i'd offer around 9m for the horse.

Guest alex
didnt dion dublin come through just ahead of beckham et all and then get sold straight away?

always rated him.

144158[/snapback]

Man United signed Dublin from Cambridge United and he was there a couple of years. Didn't play much though. Have I been whooshed btw?

always rated him.

144158[/snapback]

Man United signed Dublin from Cambridge United and he was there a couple of years. Didn't play much though. Have I been whooshed btw?

144161[/snapback]

not by me - think i wooshed myself though :lol: