Howe's half-arsed civil war slackers v Pep's champions in waiting

Dr Gloom

Is a formation tweak required? I would like us to try a 4-2-3-1. A lot of the top clubs play that way. Two “number sixes” would give the defence more protection and hopefully remove that gaping hole between our defence and midfield that Foden is likely to exploit again. And a “number ten” would hopefully leave Isak less isolated.

Something like this maybe:

——————-Pope

Trips——Schar—Kelly—-Hall

————Tonali—-Bruno

—Gordon—Willock—Barnes

——————-Isak 

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Is a formation tweak required? I would like us to try a 4-2-3-1. A lot of the top clubs play that way. Two “number sixes” would give the defence more protection and hopefully remove that gaping hole between our defence and midfield that Foden is likely to exploit again. And a “number ten” would hopefully leave Isak less isolated.

——————-Pope

Trips——Schar—Kelly—-Hall

————Tonali—-Bruno

—Gordon—Willock—Barnes

——————-Isak 

Not for this game, if anything I want us to be all scrap and absolutely shit-house our way to a 0-0.

Get the pundits whining like they did last time we did it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Not for this game, if anything I want us to be all scrap and absolutely shit-house our way to a 0-0.

Get the pundits whining like they did last time we did it

No they can't whinge about shithousing, not after praising arsenal last week for doing it. :good:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I don’t think there is much chance of dropping Big Joe for this one. He’ll want an all action display from him.

usually I’d agree but he’s been a shadow of himself this season, game one aside

12 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

——————-Pope

Trips——Schar—Kelly—-Hall

————Tonali—-Bruno

—Gordon—Willock—Barnes

——————-Isak 

What has Kelly shown to be preferred over BDB against Haaland ??

That said, Eddie needs to decide on his best back four and stick with it until it gels. Switching FB’s every 5 minutes isn’t going to work, for the part of the team that needs to operate as a cohesive unit.

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Two “number sixes” would give the defence more protection

You're on to something but we can do better. Let's use five number sixes, the Yahtzee formation. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

What has Kelly shown to be preferred over BDB against Haaland ??

That said, Eddie needs to decide on his best back four and stick with it until it gels. Switching FB’s every 5 minutes isn’t going to work, for the part of the team that needs to operate as a cohesive unit.

he's got pace, that's the only reason i put him in. that and the fact it's his preferred position and bournmouth fans seem to think hes a natural centre back who can do a job at left back, rather than a natural in that position. a bit like dan burn in that sense, except he can run. 

the formation i posted is my own preference, not what i expect eddie to do. he isn't dropping burn

Edited by Dr Gloom

the problem with the 4-2-3-1 is we don't have a natural "number 10" in the james maddison/phil foden mode. can willock or gordon play there? isak probably could if wilson was fit to play in front of him. 

eddie has bought players to fit his preferred 4-3-3 system. we have "number 8s" with good energy and athleticism who can get up and back and were suited the high intensity pressing game we used to employ.

the problem with the 4-3-3 system is i don't think we have a natural DM to sit as a single pivot in front of the back four. bruno can do it, but he has lacked the positional discipline, leading to that big hole between midfield and defence. last season we blamed it on dubravka not sweeping when pope was out but it's still there. maybe tonali can do it, i dunno. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

You're on to something but we can do better. Let's use five number sixes, the Yahtzee formation. 

you've got to know your number 6 from your double pivot and your low block these days - keep up

Isak's toe is broken and he hasn't trained all week. Big doubt for tomorrow. 

Matt Targett is channelling Callum Wilson by having an eczema flare-up which means he won't make the squad. :lol:

• Haha 4

Matty Targett can’t play because he’s got eczema so isn’t available for selection 

Longstaff forgot his training gear so had to do Wednesday’s session in his pants 

Gordon has detention today for being rude to a member of canteen staff. His pumpkin  latte was cold 

etc etc :cuppa:

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

One of the most interesting pressers Howe has given. Worth a watch when it comes out.

top line? 

19 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Isak’s fucked (broken toe)

if gemmill can quietly soldier on and go about his everyday business when his foot was all but amputated, then isak should be able to manage a game of football.

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

if gemmill can quietly soldier on and go about his everyday business when his foot was all but amputated, then isak should be able to manage a game of football.

:lol: still haven't been able to get back to running. It's lucky we're through beach season so my top won't need to come off for a bit. 

• Haha 1