Rate this summer transfer window

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

10/10 just for the brain aneurysms it’s causing some people 

All part of the plan. Eddie Howe’s shit housing mags on and off the pitch.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, ewerk said:

Putting Ashworth aside I just don't think this would have happened on Mandy's watch. Eales may have more experience in football but Mandy was a negotiator and proved that she could do deals but also knew when to walk away. The problem we had this summer was not knowing when to throw the towel in.

agreed. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this is the worst window since the Saudis came in. The recruitment team wasn’t able to pick up where Mandy left off - we can only speculate why they weren’t able to deliver, given there was obviously money to spend this time. 

Not backing Howe in January was understandable given the PSR crunch, and it’s always more difficult to do deals for good value in the winter window, but it did hamper our chances of getting European football again because the squad was so stretched at the time.

Failing to improve the first team given the time we had in the summer window has to go down as a failure. I don’t think we can afford too many more windows like it, or we will start to see the progress made since Howe came in retreat, for all the reasons already discussed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Abomination seems about right for ours too 

Lloyd Kelly, a developmental striker and Lewis Hall (technically) nah not an abomination, disappointing aye.

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Lloyd Kelly, a developmental striker and Lewis Hall (technically) nah not an abomination, disappointing aye.

would you agree with 20th given how other sides in the league have strengthened their first teams compared to us?

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

would you agree with 20th given how other sides in the league have strengthened their first teams compared to us?

I’ll reserve judgement as the other sides strengthening is yet to be proven on the pitch. Some were strengthening just to try and catch the likes of us up and we’re currently above most of them in the table.

i.e. We’re currently 5th in the only table that matters.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

Yeah, people are praising Man Utd for their window, when in reality we don't know how Yoro will fare, if Zirkzee can be relied upon, and so on. Liverpool have only signed Chiesa (a notable crock) and so we don't know how they'd cope with an injury crisis. 

There are too many unknowables right now and it'll probably take to the January window to learn whether the business done has been impressive or just papering over the cracks? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, people are praising Man Utd for their window, when in reality we don't know how Yoro will fare, if Zirkzee can be relied upon, and so on. Liverpool have only signed Chiesa (a notable crock) and so we don't know how they'd cope with an injury crisis. 

There are too many unknowables right now and it'll probably take to the January window to learn whether the business done has been impressive or just papering over the cracks? 

I’m not sure you could call it impressive, unless Osula and Kelly turn out to be so good they get  picked every week. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m not sure you could call it impressive, unless Osula and Kelly turn out to be so good they get  picked every week. 

Would it be considered a good window if our league performance is good enough to have us in contention for 4th and we're able to bring in reinforcements in January that would have been out of reach had we spent £65m on Guehi?

Not being a dick, genuinely want to know your thoughts.

25 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Would it be considered a good window if our league performance is good enough to have us in contention for 4th and we're able to bring in reinforcements in January that would have been out of reach had we spent £65m on Guehi?

Not being a dick, genuinely want to know your thoughts.

there is time to retrieve the situation in january and if they do so, i will say credit where it's due. 

if you look at this summer window in isolation, it is rightly ranked among the poorest in the division because we were unable to improve the first team with a significant signing.

whether the existing squad is strong enough have us in contention for fourth if we have a similarly frustrating january window remains to be seen but it's much easier to do deal in summer then in the winter, where the selling clubs hold the cards. 

i do think walking away from the guehi deal at £70m was the right thing to do btw. i'm just bemused we weren't able to get an alternative target in. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3