Nottingham Forest vs Newcastle United

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Nah, if you remove the European clubs then it completely devalues the competition. For me it wouldn't be the same in winning it.

There was no guaranteed home draws. If you give clubs the choice of European competition or League cup then they're going for Europe every time and that's the end of the domestic tournament.

The "European clubs" play their fucking bairns anyway - They treat it no differently to the U21s entering the Johnston Paint on a Van Trophy Vase. The league cup is already devalued as a tournament.

• Like 1

It is a complete joke. They should have not made the changes. Most teams play a second string anyway and this is not going to change that. It would have been a great idea if the concept was that they played away as it would have guaranteed that they progress (good for TV ratings and appeasing the 'Top Six') but the thing that I would have like is it would have given the smaller teams a higher % of s big ticket payout that would potentially help them out a lot financially. Even when trying to find positives, it just stinks.

47 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It would be a non-starter in the FA cup because the games are more often than not played over weekends. They already did away with replays because the big boys didn't like playing an extra mid-game week.

Personally, if a club is in Europe they should just be removed from the league cup that season - if it's such a burden for them they'll be happy to do that. Have a qualifying round for the 6 or so spaces and allow national league teams to jump in from the back of that - the extra money for them would be huge.

The non-league and league Cup? 

I'm fine with no replays, also for teams involved in Europe to enter later. In fact get rid of the two legged SFs as that makes little sense. But once you're in, all teams should be treated equally. Luck of the draw. They've literally broken the entire premise of a cup competition. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

The "European clubs" play their fucking bairns anyway - They treat it no differently to the U21s entering the Johnston Paint on a Van Trophy Vase. The league cup is already devalued as a tournament.

This was the Man City side in the third round last year. Not their strongest side but it wasn't all U21s. The fact is that there is no alternative. This is all down to UEFA expanding European competitions and infringing on the domestic season.

image.png.ef65d6eac3d822c9a7946abf5fc4c495.png

Edited by ewerk

1 minute ago, Renton said:

The non-league and league Cup? 

I'm fine with no replays, also for teams involved in Europe to enter later. In fact get rid of the two legged SFs as that makes little sense. But once you're in, all teams should be treated equally. Luck of the draw. They've literally broken the entire premise of a cup competition. 

It's not called the league cup anymore anyway - it's the *insert sponsor here* cup and has been since Carling so giving a handful of non-league teams a chance to compete for another proper trophy / money / Europe would be huge for them. 

As a competition it's not one the big boys give a shit about anyway so let them bow out and give their place to a club that would actually appreciate the opportunity IMO.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

This was the Man City side in the third round last year. Not their strongest side but it wasn't all U21s. The fact is that there is no alternative. This is all down to UEFA expanding European competitions and infringing on the domestic season.

image.png.ef65d6eac3d822c9a7946abf5fc4c495.png

They were drawn away to us last year in the third round - Two ECL teams - something they've rigged the system to avoid this year. Do you think they'll field a similarly strong lineup vs Watford at home? Not a chance.

Edited by Dazzler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

They were drawn away to us last year in the third round - Two ECL teams - something they've rigged the system to avoid this year. Do you think they'll field a similarly strong lineup vs Watford at home? Not a chance.

Yes but the point is that they take it seriously. If there was no pre-draw and they drew us again this season then you'd expect them to play a similar side.

The whole point of this is that if Man City drew Man U and one is in European competition one week and the other the following week then there's no possible date for the tie to be played. It's logistics rather than corruption.

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It stinks. If it's a true one off make the cunts play away. How many advantages do they need? 

• Like 3

The prize money for this is lowwww, they'll play plenty of youth/second string players.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

You've never heard of seeding?

I thought seeding in football normally means the number of rounds you play, which they already have, not who you played against and where?

Edited by Renton

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

So PL was in hooters with his mates 🤔

3F871FB9-62AF-4B42-8D85-9D37C6CBF4D7.jpeg

That photo is cropped. Just off camera to the right you can see PL. 

Screenshot_20240829_115430_Google.thumb.jpg.184d9d032300a1c270633d3d7bd28d27.jpgI

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

I thought seeding in football normally means the number of rounds you play, which they already have, not who you played against and where?

I think you must be being intentionally contrary. 

Seeding has nothing to do with the number of rounds you play and everything to do with who you can play. In European and international football it's used in every tournament to keep the 'big boys' apart, hence our group of death the CL last season. It has nothing to do with whether you're home or away but neither did the draw last night.

Seeding rigs what side of the draw you end up in too, generally. 

This is what happened on home vs away:

Screenshot_20240829-105430.png.d45e007d399d59eaebf8588ce7be4044.png

So last night, in the pre-draw, five of the 6 bowl 1 teams were pre-selected to get home draws. Which did give the perception of this being EVEN MORE rigged in their favour, but actually it might not have been. 

I can't do the maths, but it feels intuitively like there is something not right about having bowl 1 which has predetermined home and away ties, so when you pick a team out of that box, you already know where they're playing. 

Also, having 6 teams in one bowl, and the remaining 32 teams in another bowl and drawing the 6 bowl 1 teams first... Does that confer a further advantage to those teams? It certainly removes a lot of the randomness of WHEN they come out in the draw and what the pot of teams they can play against is. I don't know, I'm not maths clever enough to work it out. 

I might be talking shit here and someone who knows maths might say there's no advantage at all from either of the above. 

i don't know maths but it fucking reeks. there were howls of corruption from watching the draw in the dolphin last night