Other Games 2024-25

7 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Early days so far but, aye,  spurs look like they’ve gone backwards as well.  

still playing the suicidal high line. “Angeball” might produce entertaining football but I don’t see them winning anything playing like that 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

still playing the suicidal high line. “Angeball” might produce entertaining football but I don’t see them winning anything playing like that 

Teams seemed to have worked them out  now. Just sit deep and hit them on the counter.   If van de Ven is injured they are double fucked. Aussie Ardiles just plays one way and shrugs his shoulders “it’s who we are mate”.  No answers.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2024 at 23:21, Alex said:

The first ever international football match (or at least the first one with properly recognised representative sides) was Scotland v England. Played in Glasgow at a cricket ground. I wonder if the Australia v NZ match was the first in the southern hemisphere though? As an aside the first ever international cricket match was played between a touring Canadian team and the USA (in New York).

Also, speaking of the days before the A-League, does anyone remember the Australian Pools? Which filled the gap of English football pools in the close  season. 

@Alex I had another search for what I, most likely, misremebered and I cannot find it. What I did find was this:

The new wave of immigration in the 1880s brought a critical mass of newcomers some of whom had a knowledge of the Football Association game or its Scottish equivalent. Matches were reported in Tasmania, South Australia and in 1880 John Walter Fletcher organised a series of matches in Sydney. The first inter-colonial matches between Victoria and New South Wales took place in Melbourne in 1883 and annually thereafter for several years. Queensland and South Australia soon followed, while Western Australian clubs were playing by Football Association rules from the 1890s. A team from Western Australia toured the eastern states in 1909.

Though matches between teams called England and Scotland drew crowds of several thousands in the eastern capital cities, for the most part Association Football, sometimes now called British football or soccer to distinguish it from the other codes, remained primarily a participation rather than a spectator sport.

Interestingly the Scots and Northern English were the first to name their clubs after elements of their heritage rather than the location where they were situated in Australia. Celtics, Northumberland and Durhams, Fifers, and Thistles were formed in each of the colonies. This practice was to be followed much later by post-Second World War migrants to Australia. These clubs served more than just the sport. They catered for newly-arrived migrants and often helped them come to terms with Australian society and its evolving culture. Once again this was something which became very important in the second half of the twentieth century. The downside was that the game was later seen as a migrant game, rather than an Australian one, despite the fact that the various codes shared a common heritage and a similar length of time in Australia.

Leagues were established in each of the colonies with those in the capital cities becoming dominant. In 1908 there was a revival in Victoria stimulated by Harry Dockerty, who helped set up a local league and presented the Cup which still bears his name today. The Sydney metropolitan competition was probably the strongest in those early years and they hosted a touring team from New Zealand in 1905. Queensland also had excellent teams and local leagues. Mining areas in all the colonies and states were strong centres of Association football.

A national organisation was formed in 1911 and the game was growing when World War One intervened. Many of the very recent British migrants signed up straight away and some clubs lost virtually their whole complement of players. The male game came to a virtual halt, though women working in factories took up the game as a recreation and fund raiser.

Football Australia's origins can be traced back to the early 1900's, with the formation of the 'Commonwealth Football Association' on December 21, 1911.

The Commonwealth Football Association secured the first ever international matches for the Australian Men's Team in 1922, and changed its name to the 'Football Association' (Australia) in 1923 ahead of a proposed 1925 tour of England. 

The body was then superseded by the 'Australian Soccer Football Association' (ASFA), which operated for nearly 40 years, receiving FIFA membership in June 1956. 

This lasted just four years, however, with the Association disbanding in 1960 after being suspended from FIFA for the poaching of players from overseas. 

In 1961 the 'Australian Soccer Federation' (ASF) was formed, and was admitted to FIFA in 1963 after outstanding fines had been paid. 

Having been isolated from international football during this period, the ASF repeatedly made requests to join the Asian Football Confederation (AFC), but were knocked back. 

It wasn't until 1966 that Australia joined forces with New Zealand - who were also knocked back by the AFC - to create the 'Oceania Football Federation' (now Oceania Football Confederation).

This is an interesting timeline read with 1886 mentioned for a visiting English team (but probably not the national team).

So 1922 is way after the 1872 England V Scotland game (I never doubted you Alex). There is a lot of murky water for football here with things dating back to 1850 but fuck knows if it was round ball or an egg but it was definitely handled by more than the goal tender!

Interesting that the heritage club names actually started with Northern and Scottish migrants, they definitely lost them over time and only the European heritage clubs kept them.

Little known, and completely true not shite I made up(!), football is the most played sport in Australia (about 1.15M), with about 700000 playing aerial ping pong. Rugby Leagues has less than 200000 players and they are spending as much as they can to recruit people to the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

Watching St Pauli back in the Bundesliga is like watching Ashley's Newcastle, depressing and turgid.

Well that’s your own fault. Having picked Newcastle as your English side no one would have begrudged you choosing Bayern as your German team.

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Well that’s your own fault. Having picked Newcastle as your English side no one would have begrudged you choosing Bayern as your German team.

Picked? Tsk @ewerk born in Newcastle thank you very much.

Newcastle Upon Hunter!

But picking Bayern is like picking Man U or Arsenal in the 90s, a cunts trick.

On 16/09/2024 at 13:16, RobinRobin said:

Why didn't Arsenal wear red?  Seems an odd choice.

Least Arsenal looking kit of recent times.. looked like an Italy third kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammynb said:

@Alex I had another search for what I, most likely, misremebered and I cannot find it. What I did find was this:

So 1922 is way after the 1872 England V Scotland game (I never doubted you Alex). There is a lot of murky water for football here with things dating back to 1850 but fuck knows if it was round ball or an egg but it was definitely handled by more than the goal tender!

Interesting that the heritage club names actually started with Northern and Scottish migrants, they definitely lost them over time and only the European heritage clubs kept them.

Little known, and completely true not shite I made up(!), football is the most played sport in Australia (about 1.15M), with about 700000 playing aerial ping pong. Rugby Leagues has less than 200000 players and they are spending as much as they can to recruit people to the game.

In their dreams, more like 500000. Rugby League has a lot, lot more if you include touch, and tag variants. Unsurpisingly most people don't want to get smashed by 120kg monsters as a hobby. Football is the best sport in the world, can't wait until I can play again (hopefully next season).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OTF said:

In their dreams, more like 500000. Rugby League has a lot, lot more if you include touch, and tag variants. Unsurpisingly most people don't want to get smashed by 120kg monsters as a hobby. Football is the best sport in the world, can't wait until I can play again (hopefully next season).

Is there one zero too many in that number?

Touch doesn't count as football because you are not allowed to kick it, numbers listed in same stats had it around the 200k.

How's the knee rehab? You kicked a ball yet?

12 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Is there one zero too many in that number?

Touch doesn't count as football because you are not allowed to kick it, numbers listed in same stats had it around the 200k.

How's the knee rehab? You kicked a ball yet?

Have kicked a ball, just in a parents v. kids training session, but man it felt good.

37 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Good start in the Champions league for Aston Villa 2-0 away to that team the former BBC news reader likes.

Typical that they get to shaft young boys in contrast to us being piled on by the best of France, Italy and Germany. Would have been interesting to see how we would have done under this new bullshit format. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3