Bournemouth vs Newcastle United

We're probably reading too much into that sort of thing at this stage tbf because of the little bit of agitation that the club is in at the moment. A signing or two could quickly fix that. 

Start Barnes and Gordon imo, Gordon on the right is far better than Murphy or Almiron. A decent performance is all he'll need to get going, let's not forget how good he was last season. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

My brother said it was interesting how little people celebrated his goal with him.but personally I just think they wanted to press on and get the winner 

He has looked completely disinterested to me as well. I thought his work rate v Southampton was visibly piss poor compared to normal.  He may not  be fit but I suspect he has had smoke blown up his arse and thinks he is more valuable to amble around with the anticipation he can create a bit of magic….rather than run his nuts off and get subbed after 60 mins.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Also, im not sure Barnes is well liked. No-one ever seems to congratulate him. He looks like a bit boring as well.

howay man. More baseless speculation. Even if if that is true, who gives a shit? As long as he performs on the pitch, which he did yesterday. He deserves to start the next game because we looked much more threatening with him and Gordon on either flank. He played like he had something to prove, when we were a goal down, which was great to see, because until now a lot of his best performances have come when we’ve been on top. He was constantly making himself available to receive the ball and making things happen when he got it 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

He has looked completely disinterested to me as well. I thought his work rate v Southampton was visibly piss poor compared to normal.  He may not  be fit but I suspect he has had smoke blown up his arse and thinks he is more valuable to amble around with the anticipation he can create a bit of magic….rather than run his nuts off and get subbed after 60 mins.

he’s had a slow start to the season compared to how unplayable he was last season but we are two games in and he was away with England all summer - and he got his goal yesterday despite that. Let’s give him a few more games before we start jumping to conclusions 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

howay man. More baseless speculation. Even if if that is true, who gives a shit? As long as he performs on the pitch, which he did yesterday. He deserves to start the next game because we looked much more threatening with him and Gordon on either flank. He played like he had something to prove, when we were a goal down, which was great to see, because until now a lot of his best performances have come when we’ve been on top. He was constantly making himself available to receive the ball and making things happen when he got it 

Yeah, It doesn’t really matter. I rate him very highly to be honest. He could have easily outshone Gordon last year if he got a run in the team. He is capable of 15 goals a season. 

40 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Yeah, It doesn’t really matter. I rate him very highly to be honest. He could have easily outshone Gordon last year if he didnt get injured and got a run in the team. He is capable of 15 goals a season. 

I really like Barnes. As it stands, I'd start him ahead of Gordon v Forest, if there's an insistence they both have to play on the left. Give Gordon something to think about and give Barnes the chance he deserves. 

• Like 4

I hope we get to see Hall start again and play with more maturity, I thought the lapses might have been knocked out of him by now and that's why he started the opening game. But he was really poor defensively at times. We look so much more fluid at the back when he plays though, especially when Burn and Krafth are playing and average defensive forward ball playing capacity is about 3 metres. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

I hope we get to see Hall start again and play with more maturity, I thought the lapses might have been knocked out of him by now and that's why he started the opening game. But he was really poor defensively at times. We look so much more fluid at the back when he plays though, especially when Burn and Krafth are playing and average defensive forward ball playing capacity is about 3 metres. 

we need to start more technical players in the team. We looked so much better after Hall, Trippier, Barnes and Willock came on.

Longstaff, Kelly, Krafth, Murphy, and Longstaff  are all good squad players. They put in the running required but the balance was off against Bournemouth in the first half. Too many workhorses, not enough guile.

Schar is obviously a big miss but I don’t think we can start Krafth, Burn and Kelly in the same back four. Technically, they’re not good enough to play together. You need a trippier or Hall - ideally both of them - so we don’t surrender possession as cheaply. 

Longstaff and Murphy both have qualities but they should be rotation options. We have better players on the bench. Hope Eddie sees this and rectifies the problem next game. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

Some of it was tactical tbh, like Kelly for Hall must have been to counter Semenyo's physicality and Hall is just a bit iffy defensively still. Tripper has obvious issues plus might not be fully fit. Willock definitely didn't seem match fit.

Not that the rest of them looked much better, Joe and Gordon miles off it too. You've just got to hope these games have helped with match fitness etc because take the intensity factor out of this current squad and we will struggle to get into Europe. 

• Like 1

Crikey, we’re two games in, we’ve not played well, but we have just picked up a point away at a place we always struggle at, having previously won playing with 10 men for 70 minutes and we’re undefeated. But we’re fucked apparently 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

It’s glass half full v glass half empty at the moment.

yes, if you look at the results we’ve done okay but performances have been shite and there are little signs here and there that all things aren’t great. I think we’ll settle down after the transfer window (regardless of what happens) but if we don’t get any quality signings in then it will be a missed opportunity to progress the “project”.

• Like 1

I think the fact that it's only Kelly who was 'new' that makes you think, two games in, everyone should know what they've doing, big Joe, Bruno and longstaff should be dominating that midfield but we seem to get unstuck pretty quickly after about ten minutes in both games. Not panicking but it's been a bit underwhelming so far.

• Like 1

Promoted teams always start fast and run like maniacs for first part of their “first games up” we were dealing with that then Fabian had his brain-fart, we were backs against the wall there on in.

Bournemouth, The Herculean Big Joe from Southampton game turned to shit for a good time he couldn’t keep the ball. Second half with the changes we actually bossed the game for a good spell and their keeper made 3, that I recall, tremendous saves (always big savings at Neto) we dodged a sucker punch at the end.

We’re rusty, players all at different levels of fitness (Gordon miles off it) pre-season may have made some coin but did nowt for the players.

We’ll be fine.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I think the fact that it's only Kelly who was 'new' that makes you think, two games in, everyone should know what they've doing, big Joe, Bruno and longstaff should be dominating that midfield but we seem to get unstuck pretty quickly after about ten minutes in both games. Not panicking but it's been a bit underwhelming so far.

True but In order to dominate the midfield you need an outlet forward and backward. Murphy and Gordon have been shite so far and the back 4 that started are below average on the ball.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

True but In order to dominate the midfield you need an outlet forward and backward. Murphy and Gordon have been shite so far and the back 4 that started are below average on the ball.

And that back four is three fullbacks and one CB

I do wonder why we went 442 mind, could be, given Gordon is patently unfit (by his standards) he was tucked in as he couldn’t manage his haring up and down the wing. That dropped Murphy deeper on the right. Also could’ve been just to give extra protection to the makeshift back four.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Schar was a miss, Tripps made a difference coming on as did Barnes. I certainly wouldn't panic yet but the Botman fuck up last season after coming back in, that's almost criminal if an ACL was undetected. Hopefully Tonali comes in and is like a terrier and the likes of Willock have more match fitness. 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 3

Gordon has had two seasons with little pre-season break plus has come back after the Southgate snub. He may be just feeling the effects both physically and mentally. Or he could be in a little huff, I'd go with the former.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Schar was a miss, Tripps made a difference coming on as did Barnes. I certainly wouldn't panic yet but the Botman fuck up last season after coming back in, that's almost criminal if an ACL was undetected. Hopefully Tonali comes in and is like a terrier and the likes of Willock have my match fitness. 

Schar was a huge miss.  We couldn't pass it out from the back at all.  Yet some seem to think a RW is more important to buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Schar was a miss, Tripps made a difference coming on as did Barnes. I certainly wouldn't panic yet but the Botman fuck up last season after coming back in, that's almost criminal if an ACL was undetected. Hopefully Tonali comes in and is like a terrier and the likes of Willock have my match fitness. 

I sincerely hope they are a LOT fucking fitter than that 😱

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Schar was a huge miss.  We couldn't pass it out from the back at all.  Yet some seem to think a RW is more important to buy.

If you play Trippier-Krafu-Kelly-Hall then we'd have enough quality to play out. Sadly that might not be good enough defensively away from home. I can see why Kelly started at LB and Howe obviously knew this and changed it to get back in the game..

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I sincerely hope they are a LOT fucking fitter than that 😱

After taking up football for a few weeks a few years ago after a thirty year break I can agree. My football brain was definitely not in synch with my body. :lol:

• Haha 4