24/25 Prediction

The Fish

5 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cdrlyg088r5o

bbc has us finishing a lowly 9th, spaniel lugs has managed to become the go to voice for nufc as far as the beeb is concerned and gives her thoughts on the matter here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united

should you wish to read them.

:lol:

I read very little of what McNulty says for a reason. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

I read very little of what McNulty says for a reason. 

aye, bindipping twat.

sure I read one time he professes to support both scouse club, a double thundercunt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cdrlyg088r5o

bbc has us finishing a lowly 9th, spaniel lugs has managed to become the go to voice for nufc as far as the beeb is concerned and gives her thoughts on the matter here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united

should you wish to read them.

Lots of meetings to sit in and say nowt this morning so I've gone back to this, some of the clubs they've got finishing above us make no sense to me at all.

Villa - Lost the lynchpin of their midfield, douglas luiz, who also took a lot of their set pieces, signed a very different player as replacement in Onana, who is good but will change the way they work massively. Predicted to finish the same place as they did last season.

Man U - up to 5th from 8th, based on fucking WHAT?! Nothing they've done this summer really addresses their issues. They've signed one child centre half who is now injured for ages, one who hasn't managed to make the step up from Ajax at Juve or Bayern at the biggest clubs in their easier leagues. A fullback Bayern were happy to let go for very little money and a forward whose best goal return has been at Anderlecht. 

Chelsea - Still signing a billion players but now they've got a less experienced manager who has less than 70 first team games managed under his belt...anyone having faith in them is insane

West Ham - Fuck off, new manager with a totally different philosophy, completely new centre back pairing one of whom is just there til he can sign for man u, their 9000th forward off the back of a great season where he scored 12 (twelve) league goals...

And then we're in ninth! :lol: we've got a better manager than all but one of those teams (I rate Emery similarly to Howe tbf) we haven't strengthened substantially (yet) but we haven't weakened either and Tonali is back before the end of August, our younger players are all a step up on where they were this time last season(Tino, Hall, Gordon) where we finished above Man U and West Ham, and one win behind Chelsea DESPITE one of the worst injury crisis' in the leagues history.

Ninth. Fucking joke.

• Like 4

Louise Taylor thinks we'll finish 4th or 5th according to her prediction article but the average of all the Guardian writers is 9th. Mackem bastard Glendenning no doubt slipped in a 20th, the cunt. 

I'm erring on the side of caution but I'm not sure these predictions of 9th are that far wide of the mark. We haven't strengthened at all. We're an injury to Isak or Gordon away from toothlessness. Considering the short shrift we got off VAR last season, we're not going to be able to count on the free points that Man U or Chelsea can expect, and who knows what condition Tonali is going to come back in. 

• Like 1

The only one of those teams Andrew listed that I'm worried might finish above us is Villa. 

But who fucking cares what these journalists think. Or at least what they say, I'm not even convinced it's what they actually think. A good part of the reason why they say this stuff is to get clicks and social media reaction, and they know they'll get it from us. 

Journalists talking us down is way preferable to journalists talking us up. 

• Like 2

I’ve no doubt that journalists had Man Utd to finish in a similar spot last season and they finished 8th by the grace of VAR and conceded goals for fun. They had a fair few injuries as well but were far better equipped to deal with it and were a much worse side than us tbh. They have them in 5th because they want to see them in 5th

• Like 3

Save for Man City & Arsenal (without significant injuries to their core), all positions are realistically "up for grabs".

I do think that's contingent on signing at least a top quality centre half or right winger, not just due to impact on the starting eleven but the boost to the squad morale. Fresh faces of quality bring a group along dually in that regard & continue the recent trend of squad growth in quality and reaffirm what the board are saying to the squad & in the press.

I reckon a 5th place finish without a top quality addition, 3rd place with it.

• Like 1

Signing of the season: Hall
Top goalscorer: Isak
Most assists: Gordon
Biggest surprise: Kelly
Best Young player: Livramento
Player of the season: Isak
PL finish: Winners
Trophies? PL

Signing of the season: Kelly. I think we’ll walk away from Palace’s demands over Guehi, and Kelly will play most of the season at centre back 

Top goalscorer: Isak. Otherwise, it’ll be a very weird season

Biggest surprise: Tonali takes over as main set-piece taker

Best Young player: Hall

Player of the season: Big Joe

PL finish: 5th. But I think everything from 3rd-8th is going to be real close

Trophies? Yes please, that would be nice.

Signing of the season: Kelly

Biggest surprise: Maintaining a subs bench with only one Goalkeeper on it all season

Best Young player: Hall

Player of the season: Gordon

PL finish: 2nd

Trophies? Community Shield

For what it's worth I also predict that Maresca will be the first manager to leave his post. I don't think it'll be his fault, necessarily, just the task he's got is impossible. 40+ in the first team squad, plenty on big wages with the big egos that come with them. 1 win in 6, during pre-season. 

He's inexperienced, with only 67 games under his belt. Certainly inexperienced in the top flight, at a big club, with chaos around him and a demanding fanbase. The only one that pushes him close is Nuno Espirito Santo, partly because he's not great and Forest are in danger of unravelling, but chiefly because Marinakis is a lunatic.

• Like 2

Aye it was a mad appointment by Boehly. Imagine man, we could have ended up with someone running Newcastle in the same way that that lunatic is. 

I know people want us to spend, but fuck me, that bloke is playing on Arcade mode. 

• Like 1

Not only are we being predicted to finish below a load of knackers this season, the Athletic Football Podcast's last episode before the season starts is "How secure is Eddie Howe at Newcastle?" 

Before a ball has been kicked. 

I can't wait for us to absolutely storm the league this season. 

• Like 1

Signing of the season: the new RW (please?)

Biggest surprise: Tonali returning strong leading to City/Real/Bayern bidding war next summer :whistling:

Best Young player: Tino

Player of the season: Isak

PL finish: 4th

Trophies? No

If we dont sign another CB and a quality RW, we'll finish 6th. 

On 15/08/2024 at 00:21, acrossthepond said:

I'm erring on the side of caution but I'm not sure these predictions of 9th are that far wide of the mark. We haven't strengthened at all. We're an injury to Isak or Gordon away from toothlessness. Considering the short shrift we got off VAR last season, we're not going to be able to count on the free points that Man U or Chelsea can expect, and who knows what condition Tonali is going to come back in. 

I tend to agree. we haven’t really strengthened the first team (yet) so it’s hard to make a confident prediction at this stage. 

we have lots going for us: a competitive first team, a top manager and a clear identity with the energetic high press. We also don’t have the European games which decimated the squad last season and affected the style of play. 

however, though the team is very good when everyone is fit, we are still very short of depth across the front line, and we could struggle again were we to suffer another injury crisis.

It’s a squad game now you can make 5 subs. Wilson can’t be relied on to remain fit and our options at RW are not of the quality we aspire to. I totally agree about injuries to Gordon and Isak - our chances of Europe hinge on them staying fit and getting another body in, preferably a quality one who could cover all three forward positions.

Seventh, with the current squad, wouldn’t feel like progress but it feels like par for the squad as it stands. 

I'm a bit concerned about the midfield - we have the three from Saturday plus Willock and Tonali then its the knowingly good but crocked Miley and the unkowingly good or not one plus White then kids. 

I know I'm paranoid but after lasr season and losing Anderson I wouldn't mind seeing another one in. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

I'm a bit concerned about the midfield - we have the three from Saturday plus Willock and Tonali then its the knowingly good but crocked Miley and the unkowingly good or not one plus White then kids. 

I know I'm paranoid but after lasr season and losing Anderson I wouldn't mind seeing another one in. 

There are 6 midfielders covering 3 positions. You could arguably chuck Hall and Almiron in there if desperate as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

There are 6 midfielders covering 3 positions. You could arguably chuck Hall and Almiron in there if desperate as well. 

Almirons not a schemer or really a creative player… he runs around a lot but hasn’t really got a top level footballing brain. Pops up with goals for sure, but not sure what else he brings

7 hours ago, tinofbeans said:

Almirons not a schemer or really a creative player… he runs around a lot but hasn’t really got a top level footballing brain. Pops up with goals for sure, but not sure what else he brings

You could have been describing Longstaff there.

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Midfield is fine. We're already gonna have at least two lads consistently disappointed at not being picked, not sure we need to add a third. 

we’re weaker than last season after losing Anderson who was starting to show promise as a first teamer but they must be confident the two miley brothers can fill the void. Lewis Miley didn’t do much wrong when he got his chance last season and is fine as sixth choice, covering three positions. We were killed by injuries to the two Joes and Tonali’s ban. We surely can’t be that unlucky with injuries again. It’s the lack of depth up top which concerns me more. 

My only concern about the midfield is the absence of a natural DM. I’d sooner see Bruno play in a more advanced role but Howe doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem and I trust his judgement 

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we’re weaker than last season after losing Anderson who was starting to show promise as a first teamer but they must be confident the two miley brothers can fill the void. Lewis Miley didn’t do much wrong when he got his chance last season and is fine as sixth choice, covering three positions. We were killed by injuries to the two Joes and Tonali’s ban. We surely can’t be that unlucky with injuries again. It’s the lack of depth up top which concerns me more. 

My only concern about the midfield is the absence of a natural DM. I’d sooner see Bruno play in a more advanced role but Howe doesn’t seem to think it’s a problem and I trust his judgement 

Tonali can easily play that role. He seems naturally more of a holding player than a box to box midfielder. That’s from little I’ve seen of him so far to be fair.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Midfield is fine, we’ve lost Anderson but basically have Willock and Tonali available, that’s a big net gain from last season IMO (even one for one either are better than Anderson).

• Like 3